Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by Elamarna 1 minute ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by Simon Wood 3 minutes ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by barnflatwyngarde 4 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Elamarna 15 minutes ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by Elamarna 18 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 20 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (61 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (21 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (17 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (15 posts)
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - (12 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: New suspect book. - (8 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Police Officials and Procedures > Swanson, Chief Inspector Donald

Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
I agree re-accuracy, but shouldn't this all be published with the examiner's report?
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhouse
It would also be nice if Davies' report could be published...
Absolutely. A number of us have seen copies of the report, and I have been trying for months to get permission for it to be published here so that everyone can seen the evidence.

Unfortunately, it seems that permission isn't going to be forthcoming. If it had been, I think it would have been possible to get away from the endless diversionary arguments about the authenticity of the marginalia, and on to a more sensible discussion of their significance. But there it is.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:32 AM
Superintendent

Default Interesting

It would be interesting to see if this is a policy decision by the Met, perhaps a letter to the Commissioner would not go amiss.

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:39 AM
Detective

Sorry for backtracking a bit, but I wish to comment on the statements made by some here that signing some of the marginalia was an "odd" practice...

Actually, it's not odd at all, among engineers and scientists. My husband who is an engineer and has numerous patents in the industry he works in almost always carries some type of "ideas notebook" with him...He does, in fact sign/initial and date statments and/or drawings that he feels will have later significance or are "patentable"...

Why wouldn't it follow that someone like Swanson would do exactly the same thing with items he thought had potential "case breaking" significance??

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Superintendent

Default Annotations

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccina View Post
Sorry for backtracking a bit, but I wish to comment on the statements made by some here that signing some of the marginalia was an "odd" practice...
Actually, it's not odd at all, among engineers and scientists. My husband who is an engineer and has numerous patents in the industry he works in almost always carries some type of "ideas notebook" with him...He does, in fact sign/initial and date statments and/or drawings that he feels will have later significance or are "patentable"...
Why wouldn't it follow that someone like Swanson would do exactly the same thing with items he thought had potential "case breaking" significance??
Which was Swanson, an engineer or a scientist? Sorry, only joking.

I wouldn't say that signing, or initialling, annotations in a book was common, but it certainly wasn't unknown nor was it odd. I have an old Scotland Yard detective's memoirs that belonged to a pathologist involved in one of the cases. He has annotated the rear free endpaper and pastedown with case notes, but has not signed or initialled them. Swanson obviously felt his significant enough to initial.

The book was obviously Donald Swanson's as he had written his name and address on the front pastedown sheet, ergo any annotations in the book may reasonably be expected to be his. The book would be presumed to be remaining in the family and publication of the annotations would, I presume, not be expected by Swanson.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Inspector

Stewart,

Do you recall what Swanson used (pen, pencil?) to write his name and address on the front pastedown sheet?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Superintendent

Default Pencil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Nelson View Post
Stewart,
Do you recall what Swanson used (pen, pencil?) to write his name and address on the front pastedown sheet?
Scott, yes it was a pencil, looks like the one with the purplish tinge. And here it is -

Name:  annotaddress.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  180.7 KB

Old 10-15-2009, 09:07 PM
Detective

...my only point being that he Swanson would do this for the same reason a technical inventor would....so that, in the event of his death and the case was reopened, he would get proper historical "credit" for his "discoveries"...

Old 10-15-2009, 09:40 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappuccina
Actually, it's not odd at all, among engineers and scientists. My husband who is an engineer
Your ability to make EVERYTHING about you and your family and your daughters' friends is as amazing as it is pointless.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 10-15-2009, 10:29 PM
Detective

Wow, bitter much; I was simply using a familiar example. Perhaps your attitude is one of the reasons you are not married or in a long-term relationship are not allowed to have custody of, nor spend much time with your own child.

Knock off the adolescent behavior, and your quality of life will vastly improve, I can assure you.

How is any of this about my daughter's friends???....Lay off the alcohol too; that may help you significantly as well.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Cadet

Default Sequence of notes?

I base my observations on the photographs supplied by SPE.

It appears to me that DSS underlined the text in question and then wrote his comment in the margin. If this is correct it would give:

identified the suspect the instant he was confronted with him

& after this identification which suspect knew, no other murder of this kind took place in London.

The comments at the bottom of page 138 appear to be a continuation of Anderson's writing explaining why the witness refused to give evidence, here he (Swanson) runs out of room and continues his thoughts on the end paper.