Faecal matter on apron piece

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post

Even a small amount would smell, so why only "apparently" faecal matter? Did someone clean it off before giving the piece of apron to Dr Brown?

Regards, Bridewell.

He's a scientist, a medical man. The use of the word 'apparently' there means that he was certain it was faecal matter, but without absolute proof of what it was, he would not state it as such. It smelled like sh*t, looked like sh*t, was indeed sh*t, but unless he saw it get on the piece, he would, like me, state that it was 'apparently' sh*t.

Comment

Originally posted by DrHopper View Post
      He's a scientist, a medical man. The use of the word 'apparently' there means that he was certain it was faecal matter, but without absolute proof of what it was, he would not state it as such. It smelled like sh*t, looked like sh*t, was indeed sh*t, but unless he saw it get on the piece, he would, like me, state that it was 'apparently' sh*t.
      Hello Dr H,

so the question becomes how much?

You see, if the killer wiped his hands on the rag, having handled in semi/near darkness the mess, one would expect a great deal of faecal matter and blood on the rag, not 'some' for two reasons-
      1) the killer would not be able to see colour differences in blood and slime and
      2) handling the innerds, intestines and all would have been incredibly messy- especially when handling the fatty mucous around the kidney.

So why so little excrement on the rag?

Best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Maybe some was wiped off on the victim or her clothing Phil

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
          Maybe some was wiped off on the victim or her clothing Phil

Dave
          Hello Dave,

As regards her clothing, as far as I am aware blood was noted on the rear of her ?outer? clothing. I.e. Her back, on which she lay. It would have been noted if faecal smears were on any of her well torn and noted garments no? Perhaps her skin too?

So that leaves the killer's clothes wiped on.
          So if he did that, why use the rag? His clothes were already smeared ie he wiped his messy hands on them previously. He didnt NEED the rag.

Best wishes

Phil
          Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-07-2012, 11:53 PM.
          Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

It would have been noted if faecal smears were on any of her well torn and noted garments no?
            On the parts which lay under and around the drawn and tossed intestines perhaps Phil? To put no overfine point on it Phil, when the poor woman's a shitty bloody mess who's going to notice where the killer's started wiping his mitts?

I know where you're going Phil, but in my book it doesn't wash!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
              On the parts which lay under and around the drawn and tossed intestines perhaps Phil? To put no overfine point on it Phil, when the poor woman's a shitty bloody mess who's going to notice where the killer's started wiping his mitts?

I know where you're going Phil, but in my book it doesn't wash!

All the best

Dave
              Hello Dave,

THIS is where I am going-

Why did the killer not simply wipe his hands and knife on the masses of available material smack bang right in front of him? No, instead he uses more time to neatly cut away a piece of rag to take with him to wipe his hands as he flees the scene risking being caught 'red handed' literally.

THAT doesnt make sense Dave. This cold blooded brilliant avoider of policemen who so brilliantly times these crimes with such efficiency to enable him to leave NO trace.of being caught RISKS doing exactly that with a simple mistake that would blow his game.

In MY book, that doesnt wash.

Best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 07-08-2012, 12:38 AM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
                Hello Dave,

THIS is where I am going-

Why did the killer not simply wipe his hands and knife on the masses of available material smack bang right in front of him? No, instead he uses more time to neatly cut away a piece of rag to take with him to wipe his hands as he flees the scene risking being caught 'red handed' literally.

THAT doesnt make sense Dave. This cold blooded brilliant avoider of policemen who so brilliantly times these crimes with such efficiency to enable him to leave NO trace.of being caught RISKS doing exactly that with a simple mistake that would blow his game.

And it doesnt make sense that he would linger longer than necessary. Wipe hands, cut cloth, go do minor cleaning well away from the dead woman. How does it make sense to stay and do a lengthy cleanup over the corpse you are responsible for.
                In MY book, that doesnt wash.

Best wishes

Phil
                What makes you think he didn't? He cleaned the majority of the filth off and cut a piece off to take away with him to finish up the leftovers. Makes a hell of a lot more sense than eddowes deciding to slice up her own apron when she had scads of alternate cloths available and on her person.

Let all Oz be agreed;
                I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Thanks Ally...You might've taken the words from my mouth...I'm glad someone's a late-bird round here...probably the medication but I'm yawning by 1am nowadays!

All the best

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,

I trust you slept well?

Looking at the minutae of the description of the clothing indicates to me that the police were thorough in their listing AND description of each item of clothing. Cuts, type length of cut, material etc. Apart from the back part of the clothing upon which Eddowes was laying, which does make mention of the blood, there are no mentions of smears of faecal matter on the clothing. Now given the detailed description of said clothing, it is not unreasonable (if any such wipes, smears and markings existed) to see that they would have been noted.
                    There is no indication that the killer wiped his hands or knife on the clothing attached to the body. Please do show me if there is? Thank you my friend.
                    Best wishes

Phil
                    Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

So Phil can you point me to that detailed list of her possessions that you are using? Because I don't remember the very detailed list of her clothing making ANY mention of blood or other staining on each item and therefore, by your logic, all of her clothes, except for the back parts must be blood-free and pristine?

Let all Oz be agreed;
                      I need a better class of flying monkeys.

Comment

Hi Phil

You are quite correct that there are no explicit mentions of faecal smears on the clothing...although the "dirt" on the black jacket in the inventory may be a polite euphemism...

However, the good doctor says "The intestines were drawn out to a large extent and placed over the right shoulder - they were smeared over with some feculant matter. A piece of about 2 feet was quite detatched from the body and placed between the body and the left arm, apparently by design"

Look at that description Phil, and the well known drawing on P119 of Scotland Yard Investigates (It's also part of item 9 in JtR and the Whitechapel Murders)...Do you honestly believe it is possible to do that and NOT have faeces smeared on the clothing? Honestly?

All the best

Dave

Comment

So Phil can you point me to that detailed list of her possessions that you are using? Because I don't remember the very detailed list of her clothing making ANY mention of blood or other staining on each item and therefore, by your logic, all of her clothes, except for the back parts must be blood-free and pristine?
                          Hi Ally

To be fair to Phil, the inventory on Page 226 of the JTR Sourcebook does actually seem to list the bloodstaining or otherwise on the clothing

Sorry!

Dave

Comment

Hello Dave,

Let us take it as a given that any faecal matter caused by the laying of the intestines would have left a mark. However, 2 points-
                            1) it was not noted
                            2) this leaves no indication nor evidence that the killer wiped his hands or knife on the clothing.

That leaves presumption without evidence-equal to presuming that the killer wiped the mess on his own attire. But, and in my view it is a significant but, the clothes on the body were examined in good light prior to the autopsy-by a policeman who made very detailed item description.

Had, for the sake of example. The policeman listed 'white chemise with wipe marks upon' it would not have been unusual, but a quite normal observation in terms of detailing the clothing at tie morgue. Had there NOT been the detail of the clothing made as we have been presented, I would have no problem with it.

As it is, there is no evidence to show the killer wiped either hand or knife on the clothing of the victim. Any such presumption must be backed up with known fact. In this case I know of none.
                            That opens up the realistic possibility that any wiping was done elsewhere, and the amount of faecal matter on the piece of rag does not equate with the amount of such substance in situ that would, by dint of the 'work' the killer did and where, and with what, indicates a mess on the killer's hands that would need wiping off.

Best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

Sorry Phil, but I think we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one!

All the best

Dave

PS Hope your suitcase has recovered from it's unorthodox usage (and your head from Messrs Theakstons ministrations!)...

Comment

His Own Cloth

That opens up the realistic possibility that any wiping was done elsewhere, and the amount of faecal matter on the piece of rag does not equate with the amount of such substance in situ that would, by dint of the 'work' the killer did and where, and with what, indicates a mess on the killer's hands that would need wiping off.
                                Perhaps the killer had a cloth of his own with him. It would make sense for him to carry such an item. If he severed the rectal passage by mistake, as seems likely, he may have realised that his own cloth would be insufficient and therefore improvised by cutting a piece from Kate's apron. The fact that no other cloth was recovered does not necessarily mean that no other cloth existed. He may have taken his 'own' cloth home with him.

Regards, Bridewell.
                                I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Working...
                                X