Virtual Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual Reality

Has anyone on these forums got VR yet? A Vive or Rift etc?

Curious.

You all know me (I think) I do the 3D scenes and pester you all for into

I finally upgraded my PC and also bought a VR headset so I'm in a position to see some of the things I've created myself in proper VR. Most of my environments have not really survived the last 12 months. Some have been removed from the web, others have broke and most of the remaining ones are pretty crap!
    There is a model of Miller's Court and No13 which is not too bad at all. I have now viewed it in VR and even though it's not the best of models it is still REALLY amazing to stand in Mary's tiny little room as if I'm really there. it is very immersive and if the model was improved it would be as close as actually being in the room as we can now get.

I intend to start work on Miller's court again and I think I will just concentrate on the court and No13 for a few months to get a model that is hopefully ultra-realistic.

Now I have VR I can test the results until I'm satisfied.

I would then be willing to attend some ripper meetings/conferences with the VR setup to allow those without access to VR to experience Miller's court and No13.

using VR it is actually possible to walk around the room, actually, take steps and walk the room and to be able to crouch down, look under the bed and position yourself where the police photographer positioned his camera for the infamous photographs of the crime scene.

It's very exciting and I would love to be the one to provide this and other ripper communities with accurate VR environments of all the canonical crime scenes.

There are a few VR experiences that have set out to re-create iconic and infamous historical locations to be used for education etc. One such experience is the Titanic dive which allows VR users to use a virtual minisub to explore a 100% accurate and photorealistic model of The Titanic.

I want to do this for the canonical 5.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Wow Richard, sounds exciting. Keep up the good work. Your contributions so far have offered us a much better understanding of what the murder sites were actually like to walk around at the time of the events. The detail you've been able to achieve is amazing. Here's to success on your new project!

Dr. John
    "We reach. We grasp. And what is left at the end? A shadow."
    Sherlock Holmes, The Retired Colourman

Comment

Hi, Richard, thank you for the update. I have received basic instruction on VR from our Instructional Technology staff, but alas, my phone turned out to be too old to use the web-based downloads they had available. I did use a "cardboard" viewer to experience a roller-coaster ride in 3D, which was cool.

I read awhile back that some historical sites are considering having 3D and/or VR films made so visitors could seem to be immersed in the daily activities of say, a Viking village, Times Square in the 1940s, Colonial Williamsburg, a frontier town in the West, etc. You should definitely keep up with your projects-- there may well be developments coming there.

An archaeological VR company wants to show you what ruins looked like before they were, well, ruins

Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
      ---------------
      Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
      ---------------

Comment

Thanks for the replies
        I have also tried the cardboard and smartphone method of experiencing VR but to be honest, they actually hinder VR experiences.

Smartphone VR is not a good example of VR but it's most people's introduction to VR which leaves them intrigued but underwhelmed.

Having a smartphone hung 3 inches from your face inside a cardboard/plastic box is like sitting very close to a 1970's TV and calling it cinema

This is why I want to find Ripperologists with VR (proper) to view the scenes and this is why I would like to bring my VR setup to future conferences to allow attendees to experience ripper locations via VR.
        JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
        JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
        JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website

Comment

Working...
        X