Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by MrBarnett 29 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Robert 35 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Sam Flynn 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by GUT 7 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by rjpalmer 8 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Sam Flynn 10 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (10 posts)
Torso Killings: torso maps - (3 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: Mitre Sq, The demise is almost complete - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Media > Books > Non-Fiction

Old 10-01-2017, 01:33 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I'm not judging either way, but this is standard practice these days. Witness the books and albums by, or about, Bowie and Michael Jackson promoted by Amazon, iTunes and others on the very days their deaths were announced.
Yep thatís what I said above, not unusual.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:38 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
I am bashing no one. It is a valid point. Which I note you have ignored but continually insult me.. which is against all rules.
My point..if you care to answer it..is that it CAN BEE SEEN by others as badly timed, yet even worse.
Like I said..a scoop is still a scoop in a few days time. Etiquette tells me it would have been better to wait with this announcement.
Now..if you are not going to address the issue I raise, then others will read into that as well.
It is a valid point.
Please cut out the personal stuff. Thank you

P
Phil,
Given that anything Mango does that's slightly controversial, be it Robert Smith's book or Lady Lucan's, draws an adverse comment from you, it's understandable that Jonathan - or me, for that matter - might think you are putting the boot into Adam. In the circumstances you might have expected your post to rebound on you.

To the best of my knowledge, Lady Lucan was determined that she had the opportunity to tell her story and it was learned by the press that she had written the book, and it's publication was going to be made known in the newspapers. Adam therefore had little choice but to announce publication of the book and give those interested in reading Lady Lucan's account the opportunity to pre-order the book.
Old 10-01-2017, 01:40 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUT View Post
Publication date doesnít bother me Monty, but I do think the anno7ncement could have been delayed till after the funeral.

Just my opinion.
As I said, we aren't party to what has it has not been agreed.

Opinion is fine, if informed.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 10-01-2017, 01:44 AM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty View Post
As I said, we aren't party to what has it has not been agreed.

Opinion is fine, if informed.

Monty
And if someone has chosen not to inform us, how else do we form our opinion.

If someone comes along (who is in a position to know) and says Lady Lucan wanted the book announced as soon as possible, my opinion would probably change. Until then I stand by my opinion that it should have been delayed.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:48 AM
Commisioner

Right Paul...

You've asked for this.

I don't give a rats backside WHO the publisher is..or WHO owns said company. Like I stated..it wasn't a "boot in" on anyone. Your inference is totally wrong..get it? wrong. You.. and Menges..are out of order making that accusation. Now back off and stick to the point both GUT and I made. You assume very very wrongly. The literary scoop of the year could have waited a few days. Period. It looks wrong to me. Period.

My point was about the timing of the announcement. Period. Who announces it is besides the point. Etiquette says..to me at least. .and GUT it appears (Thank you).. that waiting a few days would have been the right way of doing it. The lady is not dead a week and for some unknown reason there's a damned rush to announce her book release.. before she is even buried?

The Christmas sales will not be affected by a few days waiting now..incase that was the worry. The Lady deserves to be interred without the fuss of any potential massive media scramble around her name. Indecent haste I call it. Whoever the publishing people are.

Monty. Thank you for your partly understanding comment. Appreciated.

GUT. Thank you for your agreement.

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Old 10-01-2017, 06:14 AM
Casebook Supporter

Phil,

You're so full of ****. I've seen your Facebook posts where you whole-heartily engage in banter about "smash and grab", "must only be in it for the money", questioning the honesty of Adam without having any of the facts, and encouraging (by "liking", rather than disputing) the preposterous idea that now that Lady Lucan is dead, Adam might invent fake material and insert it in her book. We're not stupid. If this had been published by anyone other than Mango Books you and your buddies in the tin-foil echo chamber on Facebook wouldn't have said a single thing about it.

JM
Old 10-01-2017, 06:32 AM
Commisioner

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 10-01-2017, 06:35 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Carter View Post
Right Paul...

You've asked for this.

I don't give a rats backside WHO the publisher is..or WHO owns said company. Like I stated..it wasn't a "boot in" on anyone. Your inference is totally wrong..get it? wrong. You.. and Menges..are out of order making that accusation. Now back off and stick to the point both GUT and I made. You assume very very wrongly. The literary scoop of the year could have waited a few days. Period. It looks wrong to me. Period.

My point was about the timing of the announcement. Period. Who announces it is besides the point. Etiquette says..to me at least. .and GUT it appears (Thank you).. that waiting a few days would have been the right way of doing it. The lady is not dead a week and for some unknown reason there's a damned rush to announce her book release.. before she is even buried?

The Christmas sales will not be affected by a few days waiting now..incase that was the worry. The Lady deserves to be interred without the fuss of any potential massive media scramble around her name. Indecent haste I call it. Whoever the publishing people are.

Monty. Thank you for your partly understanding comment. Appreciated.

GUT. Thank you for your agreement.

Phil
I think Mango has made two book announcements here recently, and in both cases you have made critical comments. It is therefore unsurprising that your posts should be considered an attempt to put the boot in. I did not say they were such an attempt (although people can draw their own conclusions on that), only that it isn't urprising if someone interpreted them that way. You are too intelligent not to have realised that it would and could be, so your feigned outrage when somebody did so doesn't ring true. But there you go...

And I tried to explain, as far as my very limited knowledge goes, that the newpapers were aware of the book and that it was going to be mentioned in today's newspapers, which in turn made it necessary to bring the announcement forward. If this book was some sort of tawdry dish-the-dirt book, I'd possibly be inclined to agree with you, but it isn't. Lady Lucan worked very hard to make sure that this book was ready for publication. One of her last wishes was that it would be published.

You are entitled to your opinion and some people might be interested in it, but from what little I know, in this case I don't think Lady Lucan would agree with you.

Curb the anger, Phil, whether it's real or not. It's not good for the heart.
Old 10-01-2017, 06:45 AM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Lady Lucan was determined that she had the opportunity to tell her story and it was learned by the press that she had written the book, and it's publication was going to be made known in the newspapers. Adam therefore had little choice but to announce publication of the book and give those interested in reading Lady Lucan's account the opportunity to pre-order the book.
And The Daily Mail has in fact named Mango Books as the publisher this morning. So now we know why Adam announced it yesterday. I hope that makes Phil feel better.

Move along...

JM
Old 10-01-2017, 06:54 AM
Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmenges View Post
Phil,

You're so full of ****. I've seen your Facebook posts where you whole-heartily engage in banter about "smash and grab", "must only be in it for the money", questioning the honesty of Adam without having any of the facts, and encouraging (by "liking", rather than disputing) the preposterous idea that now that Lady Lucan is dead, Adam might invent fake material and insert it in her book. We're not stupid. If this had been published by anyone other than Mango Books you and your buddies in the tin-foil echo chamber on Facebook wouldn't have said a single thing about it.

JM
To suggest that Adam Wood would add fake content to Lady Lucan's book is an absolute and utter disgrace, and if Phil Carter added his "like" to that then he certainly belongs down there with the dirt and filth of the gutter. Talk about beyond the pale. I do not belong to many Facebook pages and I haven't seen any messages from Phil Carter. Thanks for the honesty, Jonathan.