No announcement yet.

Donald Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gingrich is as ambitious as all heck and would go for VP if asked, IMO, even if he doesn't like Trump personally.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
      Gingrich is as ambitious as all heck and would go for VP if asked, IMO, even if he doesn't like Trump personally.
      Newt's been beating the drum for Trump, with great enthusiasm too, since January or so.
      - Ginger

Comment

• There's some truth in this quote which I saw on Twitter yesterday.

Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
          Good thing LBJ won otherwise we might have gotten into a war.
          Did we? I seem to recall a resolution and some "police action" that got out of hand.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
            There's some truth in this quote which I saw on Twitter yesterday.

what a load of race baiting tosh.
            "Is all that we see or seem
            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

There's some truth in this quote which I saw on Twitter yesterday.

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
              what a load of race baiting tosh.
              Really? I think you should ask yourself exactly who is doing the race baiting.
              Christopher T. George

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                Did we? I seem to recall a resolution and some "police action" that got out of hand.

Jeff
                I think this proves your point Jeff.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

I think this proves your point Jeff.
                  Actually it does, but I was thinking of the term "Police Action" with regards to undeclared wars, such as the "Korean War" always being considered a "Police Action" or the brief seizure of Grenada during Reagan's administration. But that picture does have a very good point.

Jeff

Comment

Really? I think you should ask yourself exactly who is doing the race baiting.
                    I already have-its the author of the quote you posted.

So Donald Trump is a racist and so are all the "working class" people?

Cmon Chris this sort of nonsense has to stop.

call out trump on specific things he says (and I disagree with a lot of it), but this race card crap does nobody any good and just exacerbates.
                    "Is all that we see or seem
                    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                      Actually it does, but I was thinking of the term "Police Action" with regards to undeclared wars, such as the "Korean War" always being considered a "Police Action" or the brief seizure of Grenada during Reagan's administration. But that picture does have a very good point.

Jeff
                      No worries Jeff.
                      I assumed that you were referring to the Chicago riots of '68 and the Kent State Massacre of '70.

God, those were strange and turbulent times.

Comment

• Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post
                        No worries Jeff.
                        I assumed that you were referring to the Chicago riots of '68 and the Kent State Massacre of '70.

God, those were strange and turbulent times.
                        Yeah, they really were.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                          I already have-its the author of the quote you posted.

So Donald Trump is a racist and so are all the "working class" people?

Cmon Chris this sort of nonsense has to stop.

call out trump on specific things he says (and I disagree with a lot of it), but this race card crap does nobody any good and just exacerbates.
                          A few facts:
                          • Why does he keep calling Obama the African-American President?
                          • The Justice Department sued Trump Management Corporation — twice — for not renting to black people.
                          • He refused to condemn the white supremacists who are campaigning for him.
                          • Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks applying his comments to all those within these groups!”
                          • At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground. The following day, Trump implied that the attackers were justified. “Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” he mused. “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.”
                          How should we define this behaviour?

Respectfully,
                          Hercule Poirot

Comment

• Originally posted by Hercule Poirot View Post
                            A few facts:
                            • Why does he keep calling Obama the African-American President?
                            • The Justice Department sued Trump Management Corporation — twice — for not renting to black people.
                            • He refused to condemn the white supremacists who are campaigning for him.
                            • Virtually every time Trump mentions a minority group, he uses the definite article the, as in “the Hispanics,” “the Muslims” and “the blacks applying his comments to all those within these groups!”
                            • At a November campaign rally in Alabama, Trump supporters physically attacked an African-American protester after the man began chanting “Black lives matter.” Video of the incident shows the assailants kicking the man after he has already fallen to the ground. The following day, Trump implied that the attackers were justified. “Maybe [the protester] should have been roughed up,” he mused. “It was absolutely disgusting what he was doing.”
                            How should we define this behaviour?

Respectfully,
                            Hercule Poirot
                            Exactly correct, Hercule. It is Donald Trump himself who began this narrative.
                            Christopher T. George

Comment

• To be fair.. I'm really not so sure "how much" is actually racist, and how much is interrupted as such.. on both sides.... Trump haters hear him as being a racist and despise him for it... and then, people who ARE racist and want to hear it... well they read into it what they want....there is no doubt about it....

I remember when Palin was really trying to make a name for herself she used "code words" and certain language that was meant to perk the ears up of racists.. no doubt about it... she even had a campaign poster that was frighteningly similar to an old Klan poster (she was in the same pose with the Flag behind her)...now, to be fair, that may have been her advisers and not her, she may have been oblivious to the whole thing....in fact...after hearing her speak off the cuff without words put in her mouth, I'm sure she was oblivious... she seems to be about EVERYTHING else.... Now I have not heard Trump actually go that far.... well except against Mexicans... so wait.. yeah.. I guess he has been pretty bigoted......criminals and rapists etc. ( I know.. he didn't say "ALL" Mexicans were.. but it was meant to scare folks about those that are here)

both sides play the hate card.... I think much of it is imagined going both ways.. but it does exist... everyone knows fear is modern politicians best weapon ( in America... especially on the Republican side.. but the Dems are not totally innocent either..... they are playing the "fear of Trump card as we speak.... admit it!!!)

Do I think Trump is a bigot... I don't know, I don't know him, have never met him... I want to believe he isn't.. but he could be, or he could be playing to that crowd for political reasons... much the same way that candidates play to the religious right.. which in most cases is total pandering...

Steadmund Brand
                              "The truth is what is, and what should be is a fantasy. A terrible, terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago."- Lenny Bruce

Comment

• Originally posted by Steadmund Brand View Post
                                To be fair.. I'm really not so sure "how much" is actually racist, and how much is interrupted as such.. on both sides.... Trump haters hear him as being a racist and despise him for it... and then, people who ARE racist and want to hear it... well they read into it what they want....there is no doubt about it....

I remember when Palin was really trying to make a name for herself she used "code words" and certain language that was meant to perk the ears up of racists.. no doubt about it... she even had a campaign poster that was frighteningly similar to an old Klan poster (she was in the same pose with the Flag behind her)...now, to be fair, that may have been her advisers and not her, she may have been oblivious to the whole thing....in fact...after hearing her speak off the cuff without words put in her mouth, I'm sure she was oblivious... she seems to be about EVERYTHING else.... Now I have not heard Trump actually go that far.... well except against Mexicans... so wait.. yeah.. I guess he has been pretty bigoted......criminals and rapists etc. ( I know.. he didn't say "ALL" Mexicans were.. but it was meant to scare folks about those that are here)

both sides play the hate card.... I think much of it is imagined going both ways.. but it does exist... everyone knows fear is modern politicians best weapon ( in America... especially on the Republican side.. but the Dems are not totally innocent either..... they are playing the "fear of Trump card as we speak.... admit it!!!)

Do I think Trump is a bigot... I don't know, I don't know him, have never met him... I want to believe he isn't.. but he could be, or he could be playing to that crowd for political reasons... much the same way that candidates play to the religious right.. which in most cases is total pandering...

Steadmund Brand
                                To be fair, Racism exists in all countries. In fact, the current refugee problem due to Islamic extremism has demonstrated that it exists in some countries that have previously sneered at what was true in America. Gunnar Myrdal did a pioneering study of the bigotry towards African-Americans, and he was correct - but what would he think of the current situation in all of Europe (including his native Sweden) regarding the admission of the refugees? He'd probably (at the least) be red-faced in embarrassment.

The best (and I hate to even think of the term, the best) to say about Trump and his use of "the definite article" is he keeps insisting he won't be "politically correct" in his speaking. That it is a modern nicety to avoid the sign of bigoted road-blocks or signposts in thinking he dismisses. Technically, what I think he wanted to say was "I prefer being blunt when I speak", but then there are moments when I sense it does go deeper with him than that.

A man of privilege in a country where people who are rich and white and Christian are the ones mostly with the privilege, he sees anyone not quite in those groups (and by that you'd include women) as potentially an enemy and treats as such. At best he treats them as trained pets. Of course, those tens of thousands (or even millions) who applaud him are mostly lower down in the economic levels, and while smiling towards them he probably despises them as well as clowns, fools, or losers (his favorite term).

After all, the Southern plantation class practiced slavery and Jim Crow towards African-Americans, but they considered any Caucasian below middle class "Poor white trash". Without saying this, so does the Donald.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X