Annie's scarf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra A View Post
    That's what I thought might be the case with Phillips. Again, according to the Scotsman, the Coroner was annoyed with Mann for stating that the neckerchief he found in the corner of the shed with other clothing had come specifically from Annie Chapman's throat, when Mann wasn't there when the clothes were removed to know that for sure. In the Scotsman version, Phillips then says he has two witnesses who saw her wearing the neckerchief (in life) and Donovan backs that up that it is the same one.
    Did Phillips see the neckerchief tied around Annie Chapman's neck before her body was taken to the shed then?
    According to the Telegraph's report, Mann says he found the neckerchief in the pile of clothes, but the nurse who supposedly undressed the corpse claims to have left it in place around the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Hunter View Post
      Debs,

Regarding your question as to whether Phillips saw the neckerchief around the victim's neck in situ, this is his testimony as given by the Sept. 14th issue of the Morning Advertizer (which gives more word-for- word testimony than most:
      " The handkerchief produced was tied loosely round the deceased's neck. It did not seem to have been disturbed when the throat was cut, and I do not think it was placed round the neck after the murder was committed."

This indicates that Phillips did see it around her neck at the scene and probably explains why he was irate about it being removed before he could examine the wound in more detail at the post-mortem. Having it like the killer left it would have been essential to him as he later described Stride's wound in relation to her neckerchief. Phillips believed evidence had been destroyed by incompetence as well as the dreadful conditions he had in conducting his examination.

Pardon me if this has been mentioned earlier in this thread as I have not read all of it.
      Thanks Cris.

The East London Observer of 15th September also gives 'James Gable', a young man from Shadwell with a bullet head,close-cropped hair and sandy moustache (James Kent?) called over to look at the body by John Davis. giving testimony how the handkerchief found on the woman seemed "soaked in to her throat"
      This must have been one of the witnesses Dr. Phillips mentioned as seeing the neckerchief on her neck in the yard.
      Last edited by Debra A; 10-01-2017, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        According to the Telegraph's report, Mann says he found the neckerchief in the pile of clothes, but the nurse who supposedly undressed the corpse claims to have left it in place around the neck.
        Thanks Josh. It's a puzzle who removed it, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
        X