Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
    Charles Ludwig was arrested with scissors on him in the Minories (but he was in a police cell at the time of the DE)
    yeah nasty dude there-I remember getting all excited about him when reading Sugden...but of course couldn't have been him.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

From Hell, From Thick.

So From Hell was sent before Eddowes was murdered and the writer asked the news agency to hold it back until after. So looks like the idea JtR read it, can be excluded. However, that means if there is a connection, then an aspiring journalist didn't write it and JtR did.

I never thought of this before but maybe he gave his name for fun... I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it.
      Bona fide canonical and then some.

Comment

Originally posted by Batman View Post
        I never thought of this before but maybe he gave his name for fun... I saved some of the proper red stuff in a ginger beer bottle over the last job to write with but it went thick like glue and I cant use it.
        Blood does go thick with time, so there's every reason to suppose that he meant precisely that. The chances of its being a veiled reference to Sergeant Thick are extremely remote.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

So From Hell was sent before Eddowes was murdered and the writer asked the news agency to hold it back until after. So looks like the idea JtR read it, can be excluded. However, that means if there is a connection, then an aspiring journalist didn't write it and JtR did.

you mean Dear Boss?

the writer of dearboss/saucy jack got three things right-squeeled a bit, getting to work soon, clip the ears.

I could see one maybe two-but three tips the scales for me-I lean (just slightly) it was written by the ripper.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            you mean Dear Boss?

the writer of dearboss/saucy jack got three things right-squeeled a bit, getting to work soon, clip the ears.

I could see one maybe two-but three tips the scales for me-I lean (just slightly) it was written by the ripper.
            Out of all the Ripper letters, this is in the top 3 candidates for those reasons.

If an officer was JtR that could also explain inside knowledge in knowing about the letter.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
              Blood does go thick with time, so there's every reason to suppose that he meant precisely that. The chances of its being a veiled reference to Sergeant Thick are extremely remote.
              It is good you made the connection I was alluding towards though.

Comment

It is good you made the connection I was alluding towards though.
                Well, it was a toss-up between Sgt Thick and Inspector Glue
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Well, it was a toss-up between Sgt Thick and Inspector Glue
                  That joke about Leather Apron gave me real fits.

Who brought Pizer in?

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                    The failure to clip the ears was mentioned in connection with Stride: "first one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off had not time to get ears for police". This is probably because, by the time the postcard was written/posted - 1st Oct - insufficient details had appeared in the press about either murder, so the hoaxer resorted to generalisations, intending to play it safe... or so he thought, because it had yet to be revealed that the second victim had had part of her ear cut off.

As to the other Stride-related details, many papers of 1st October (including the Morning Advertiser and The Times, among others) had said that Stride's murderer may have been interrupted, so "had not time to finish...". The same papers also said that, because of the bruises present on her body, she'd probably been thrown to the ground whilst still alive, before her throat was cut. Under those circumstances, it would be a safe guess that she would indeed have "squealed a bit" before the fatal wound was inflicted.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

That joke about Leather Apron gave me real fits.

Who brought Pizer in?
                      Like I said, it's well known that blood goes thick, so there's every reason to suppose that the writer meant exactly that. No need to read any spooky inferences into the postcard.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Like I said, it's well known that blood goes thick, so there's every reason to suppose that the writer meant exactly that. No need to read any spooky inferences into the postcard.
                        So the ear clip remark is just a coincidence too then?

Comment

The failure to clip the ears was mentioned in connection with Stride: "first one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off had not time to get ears for police". This is probably because, by the time the postcard was written/posted - 1st Oct - insufficient details had appeared in the press about either murder, so the hoaxer resorted to generalisations, intending to play it safe... or so he thought, because it had yet to be revealed that the second victim had had part of her ear cut off.

As to the other Stride-related details, many papers of 1st October (including the Morning Advertiser and The Times, among others) had said that Stride's murderer may have been interrupted, so "had not time to finish...". The same papers also said that, because of the bruises present on her body, she'd probably been thrown to the ground whilst still alive, before her throat was cut. Under those circumstances, it would be a safe guess that she would indeed have "squealed a bit" before the fatal wound was inflicted.
                          Gareth

You missed out the all important full stop between off and had.

"first one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off. had not time to get ears for police".

Last edited by Jon Guy; 10-09-2018, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                            You missed out the all important full stop between off and had.

"first one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off. had not time to get ears for police".

I don't see it makes much of a difference, as the sentence flows on from "first one squealed a bit couldn't finish straight off" - in fact, he doesn't really deal with the second murder, except inasmuch as he said it was part of what he dubbed a Double Event. He certainly doesn't say anything about the partial removal of Eddowes' ear; if he was going to mention ears at all, he'd surely have alluded to this to add credibility to what he'd written. Instead of which, he appears ignorant of the fact that anyone's ears had been damaged at all.

Anyway, the author missed the full stop (or dash, or semicolon) required between "squealed a bit" and "had not time", so the postcard's punctuation was slapdash to begin with.
                            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 10-09-2018, 08:52 AM.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Is that the "Lipski" Israel provides us with? Only it was Liz squealing it, and not BSM? That would point toward her having knowledge of the reference and its usage, and the she was being attacked by someone Jewish....on or just outside a Immigrant Jewish mens club. All Israel has to do is change the source of that cry and the weight of suspicion goes from Jew to anti-Semite.
                              Michael Richards

Comment

Originally posted by Michael W Richards View Post
                                Is that the "Lipski" Israel provides us with? Only it was Liz squealing it, and not BSM?
                                Schwartz said that it was BSM who uttered the cry.
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Working...
                                X