Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by The Station Cat 14 minutes ago.
Witnesses: 36 Berner Street............... - by The Station Cat 43 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Spitfire 55 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - by packers stem 1 hour and 20 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Fisherman 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - by Fisherman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (42 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (15 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (9 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: Was Mary Kelly a Ripper victim? - (7 posts)
Levy, Jacob: Jacob the Ripper - (5 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (5 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #51  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:39 AM
Fantomas Fantomas is offline
Cadet
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Gorbals, Glasgow
Posts: 46
Default

Apropos of some of the crumbs of the aforementioned; I've ruminated on the "sacrificial" style of the killings - sailing dangerously close to Stephen Knight's waters.
There were many soldiers returning from theatres of conflict in the British Empire - and many colonial subjects following suit - wherein tribal sacrifice was practiced. The Yoruban practice may still be found to this day in Muti killings and the like - the sacrificial blade being a Sewuj (Juwes?) . The Thugee performed similar rituals.

Might muti killing - or copycat killing mimicked from witnessed rituals - and suchlike be behind such objective and fastidious post mortem mutilation?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 12-10-2018, 06:45 AM
Kattrup Kattrup is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Denmark
Posts: 206
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
the kidney is mentioned numerous times as a sacrificial offering in the pentateuch.

the kidney is a random organ to target. not the easiest to find or extract, which would rule out a snatch n' grab.

he obviously felt it held special value. the only ritualistic significance of the kidney can be found in the jewish bible. for christians, jesus WAS the final sacrifice. however, for a deranged jew looking to atone for his sins, this would be rejected in favour of ritual sacrifice.

leviticus also cites the removal of the breasts and right thigh as an offering. same thing happened to mary kelly.

the ripper was a jew.
Hello Harry

While this theory is interesting, I think it needs to be addressed that the Leviticus-verses you invoke are about male animals?
A Jewish ritual sacrifice would require a bull or a ram, not a cow or an ewe.

Also somewhat problematic is the KJV translation of thigh as shoulder, so the version actually known to LVP would have been “the breasts and the right shoulder”. But of course one could claim that a Jew might have learned the original hebrew.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:19 AM
TomTomKent TomTomKent is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 366
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
the kidney is mentioned numerous times as a sacrificial offering in the pentateuch.

the kidney is a random organ to target. not the easiest to find or extract, which would rule out a snatch n' grab.

he obviously felt it held special value. the only ritualistic significance of the kidney can be found in the jewish bible. for christians, jesus WAS the final sacrifice. however, for a deranged jew looking to atone for his sins, this would be rejected in favour of ritual sacrifice.

leviticus also cites the removal of the breasts and right thigh as an offering. same thing happened to mary kelly.

the ripper was a jew.
How can you possibly say the "only" ritual significance of the kidney can be found in the Jewish bible, when we have no grounds on which to claim the ritual significance is from ANY religious texts?

How do we know the purpose of the ritual was sacrifice? Plenty of serial killers, or for that matter plenty of people, have adopted ritualistic behaviour without it being forced to match any mainstream dogma.

I'm sorry, but we could as easily argue that he was going for the kidney, because he knew it could be devilled for breakfast, and that desanguination is good slaughter practise, without religion appearing as well.

And for what it is worth, if somebody's perspective is skewered enough to believe that Leviticus is the ritual guide to killing humans as sacrifice, I think it is fair to believe they could be warped from the bible as it is from anywhere else.
__________________
There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-10-2018, 07:52 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,070
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
Apropos of some of the crumbs of the aforementioned; I've ruminated on the "sacrificial" style of the killings - sailing dangerously close to Stephen Knight's waters.
There were many soldiers returning from theatres of conflict in the British Empire - and many colonial subjects following suit - wherein tribal sacrifice was practiced. The Yoruban practice may still be found to this day in Muti killings and the like - the sacrificial blade being a Sewuj (Juwes?) . The Thugee performed similar rituals.

Might muti killing - or copycat killing mimicked from witnessed rituals - and suchlike be behind such objective and fastidious post mortem mutilation?
hi Fantomas
I do think there might have been a ritualistic reason that the ripper did what he did-but probably more for his own sick inner fantasy than anything else.

however, if there was some sort of external force driving it, I do rather like this idea as being the most likely.

in my profile, I posit he was probably ex military or navy or sailor, so that jibes with your idea.

also, your idea made me think of early serial killer Albert Fish, who when writing the letter to the parents of the girl he killed, cut up and cannibalized, he said he got the idea after his friend (although it was probably him) told him a story about doing it after disasterous trip on a ship abroad.
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 12-12-2018, 02:32 AM
Harry D Harry D is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,358
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTomKent View Post
How can you possibly say the "only" ritual significance of the kidney can be found in the Jewish bible, when we have no grounds on which to claim the ritual significance is from ANY religious texts?

How do we know the purpose of the ritual was sacrifice? Plenty of serial killers, or for that matter plenty of people, have adopted ritualistic behaviour without it being forced to match any mainstream dogma.

I'm sorry, but we could as easily argue that he was going for the kidney, because he knew it could be devilled for breakfast, and that desanguination is good slaughter practise, without religion appearing as well.

And for what it is worth, if somebody's perspective is skewered enough to believe that Leviticus is the ritual guide to killing humans as sacrifice, I think it is fair to believe they could be warped from the bible as it is from anywhere else.
This isn't a clear-cut case. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

That being said, it only requires a little interpretation of the physical evidence to see that the killer was carrying out the sacrificial rites of Leviticus.
__________________
Hail to the king, baby!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.