No announcement yet.

More than one killer theory dismissed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all very intriguing to me because I hold the exact opposite opinion: Women reduced to prostitution due to poverty are being murdered with sharp instruments in a small area over a fairly short time period, and my brain wants to form a pattern. I suppose it is the default thing to do. If anything, I want to attribute more than the C5 to "Jack the Ripper," not less.

The brain is funny though, and the propensity for it to see patterns sometimes leads us to see ones where they don't exist. And so I really look forward to reading Simon's book to challenge these conventional beliefs of a single killer.

Comment

patterns

Hello Barnaby. An excellent post. You are indeed correct about how the human mind works.

Moreover, it must be said that those SAME patterns are sometimes correct, but not always. Hence, the investigation continues.

Cheers.
      LC

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        Hi John Wheat,

That is the real mystery we need to solve.

Jack was merely razzmatazz.

Regards,

Simon
        The real mystery Simon is where all those ideas about multiple killer's originate from. It never ceases to amaze me when you, and other's, start up with your " funny little games".

Regards

Observer

Comment

Troll strike? Here we go gathering nuts in May.

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Lately, I think Kate is getting clearer.

Intrepid, eh?

Cheers.
          LC
          Clearer to whom? About as clear as Isenschmid sheep's head broth.

See the "Jack the Ripper Kosher Cook Book", page 29.

Isenschmid Sheep's Head Broth.

1) Take three policemen.......etc
          Last edited by Observer; 08-15-2014, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Hello Barnaby. An excellent post. You are indeed correct about how the human mind works.

Moreover, it must be said that those SAME patterns are sometimes correct, but not always. Hence, the investigation continues.

Cheers.
            LC
            The investigation does indeed continue. Is it best served by the fairy stories employed by you and others in trying to bring this case to a close though? I believe the latest piece of nonsense involves Kate Eddowes obtaining a love letter from one of the Cleveland Street lot, to his beau, and then using it to blackmail said letter writer! All good fun I'll admit, but really, nothing more than fantasy.

Comment

Cheers.
              LC
              And WHY does the brain work like that ...? Exactly, because evolution has thought the brain to focus on the more credible solutions to different problems.

I´m a Ripper Darwinist in that respect.

The best,
              Fisherman

Comment

solutions

Hello Christer. Thanks.

Not to mention a few INCREDIBLE ones. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Hello Christer. Thanks.

Not to mention a few INCREDIBLE ones. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                  LC
                  Actually, my point was that the brain is more likely to sort those ones out.

The best,
                  Fisherman

Comment

programme

Hello Christer. Thanks.

In which case, a few brains aren't working according to programme. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

Originally posted by Sasha View Post
                      Thanks Grave Maurice. The beauty of the subject matter is that we'll never know the answer ie all we have is theories. That's why it's so much fun (ie I mean beyond the gruesomeness of the subject matter)! Anyway, I just don't buy the generally accepted lone killer story. It reaks too much of the Warren commission endorsed lone killer story in JFK. Too many things don't fit! Now if that doesn't get a rise out of some of the more traditional bloggers, I don't know what will.
                      A cat among the pigeons is just what may be required
                      Last edited by Outlaw; 09-23-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outlaw View Post
                        A cat among the pigeons is just what may be required
                        Or a fox among the sheep.

Comment

Absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Corduroy View Post
                            No kidding, Maurice. I could get a new lawnmower for that price. Maybe even some gas to run it, too.

What about before 1888? Most books don't talk of that. What were the murder rates for the same area for the several years before the Whitechapel Murder Files were opened?

Roy
                            If you haven't already, Dew's memoirs talk about murder not being rare in the East End. The savagery and randomness of JtR is what made it particular.
                            There seem to be two reasons (at least) for people saying that murder was rare
                            1- They weren't reported, by fear of reprisal. Gangs were a real threat, apparently. Also distrust of the police.
                            2- Coroner would classify suspicious deaths as murder.

Another good book is Stubley's 1888 where he talks about the murders of the year that were not in the vicinity of Whitechapel or attributed to JtR.
                            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

should read "2- Coroner wouldn't classify suspicious deaths as murders"
                              Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
                              - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Victorian crime statistics are iffy at best, and there were often different ways of collecting them. Thefts were often collated as 'lost property' for example. The introduction of compulsory education in the 1870's led to a decrease in convicts under 17 years.

Charles Booth, the social investigator, recorded an interview with Louis Vedy, y Division Kentish Town in 1897 who seemed to reflect the view that the last quarter of the 19th century was becoming more orderly.

'On the whole, he said, crime was decreasing, especially crime with violence. People are less brutal than they used to be. Change due he thinks to better teaching. Even the reformatories turn out a large proportion who become respectable citizens.'

Comment

Working...
                                X