Motives for Druitt and Kosminski?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Kensai

Fair enough if you think Druitt ridiculous, but an answer was provided at the start of this thread -- as to why his own family believed him to be the Ripper.

Montie told them he was 'Jack', or he confessed to somebody credible to the family who told them -- or at least told the older brother -- and the latter never stopped believing this ghastly notion to be true, even after the McKenzie murder, the Coles murder, and the arrest of Sadler.

Not even after Sir Robert began claiming it was a locked-up, insane foreign Jew.

Comment

Barber Surgeons

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
      Hello Phil. Thanks. The idea--as I have heard it--is that the barber had some surgical training. (I make a terrible Kosminsiite.)

Cheers.
      LC
      Hi Lynn,

Until the early 19th century barbers were known as barber-surgeons and did, in some cases, carry out surgical procedures:

Imagine your monthly beauty routine. Perhaps you go to the salon and get a manicure and pedicure, or to the hairstylist for a cut and dye. Every six months you

That was no longer the case in the UK by the time of the Whitechapel Murders. I'm not sure about Poland though.

Regards, Bridewell.
      I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

different

Hello Colin. Thanks. That was my take as I recall having read that somewhere. I also seem to recall that Poland was indeed different in that regard from the UK.

Cheers.
        LC

Comment

Hello all
          i'm not a psychiatrist but re-reading Dr Houchins medical certificate, it seems to me to be a classic case of paranoid schizophrenia.
          In my opinion!
          The more I read about Aaron the more I am convinced that the only threat he represented was to the stitching of his trouser buttons.
          Religious mania was suggested on another thread, Orthodox Judaism seems to be mostly about hats and being nice to people.
          Once you start on jewish mysticism however, all roads to lead three people, William Robert Woodman,William Wyn Westcott and Samuel Liddell MacGregor Mathers,freemasons all who founded the Hermetic Order Of The Golden Dawn in March 1888.
          Casebook doesn't do occult,no doubt for outstandingly good reasons, but Woodman was a police surgeon albeit 60 in 1888 and Westcott was a coroner,Doctor of Medicine and Master of the Quautor Coronati lodge 1893-1894, a lodge founded by,amongst others, Walter Besant,brother in law of Annie,and Charles Warren.
          I think it at least interesting.
          In my opinion!
          All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
            Kosminski would have been a weird guy to meet. Once the fear of the Ripper had settled over the East End, I doubt many prostitutes would have gone down dark alleys with him.
            I just want to say that being a nurse, I have met many schizophrenics, and mentally ill people as patients of mine. They come in for medical reasons, same as others, appendicitis, pneumonia, sepsis. Many of them cease to take their medications for their psyche issues, and I see on occasion ones who will not eat their food, due to the delusion they are being poisoned. They believe the doctor trying to do so as well, and stop taking the medications, at which point they go into some decline of their illness.

But even so, they are able to pay their bills, live at home, speak with friends normally, depending on the extremity of their illness. They do not let others know if they are thinking strange thoughts, and are aware they are 'different' thoughts. They can be very crafty and cunning about all this.

Seeing them refusing to eat hospital food is one way that alerts ones in the medical world to the extent of decline they are experiencing.

As I said once before, I observed a woman, who was very pleasant to me, in her room with the door shut (I had opened it to enter, she was unaware) passing a medallion on a chain over her food and engaged in some sort of ritual to make it safe to eat from her standpoint. Never would she do this in front of anyone. Still, she didn't eat enough to stay alive. She clearly believed we were trying to poison her. She refused all medications from us.

When asked if they are hearing voices (my job requires me to do this at times) they sometimes deny it, but actually admit to it sometimes. Many have told me of the 'voices', some claim multiple voices, telling them to do things and how they do or do not listen to them. I have been surprised to find this out more than once as they seem so 'normal' otherwise.

One man told me the devil spoke to him, (this patient was in a psyche ward), he was admitted for debilitation of his illness. He had been found wandering the streets acting strangely, but still, was able to talk with me normally, and I'm sure would have no problem obtaining services with a prostitute. In fact, he lived in a part of town where there were street girls and I would not be surprised if he didn't make use of their services. He would not come out of his room, he kept to himself.

Once he spoke to me through a completely closed mouth, as if someone had an invisible hand over his mouth and he were trying very hard to speak to me. This man could easily become violent, yet he played along with us knowing that behavior discourage any discharge from the hospital. He could be very pleasant, ask to shower, read a magazine, watch tv. You would not guess his illness at these times. Only on occasion would it show. If he were attempting to do something normal odd behavior would subside.

I'm not saying I feel Kosminski was JTR, but wouldn't rule him out based on inaccurate ideas regarding mental illness. I would like to see more about him, but it is not available.

Comment

Thanks, Beowulf,

That was a very enlightening post. I know a great deal more than I did 5 minutes ago. Thanks.

Regards, Bridewell.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Yes, Thank you, Beowulf,
                I too had dismissed Kosminski as being 'too mad' -but after working many years with the General Public (unbelievable how many loonies* about....um) and having seen an acquaintance diagnosed as schizophrenic, your description rings true..

* Sorry for the term - my political correctness deserts me when I'm tired.
                http://youtu.be/GcBr3rosvNQ

Comment

Originally posted by Rubyretro View Post
                  Yes, Thank you, Beowulf,
                  I too had dismissed Kosminski as being 'too mad' -but after working many years with the General Public (unbelievable how many loonies* about....um) and having seen an acquaintance diagnosed as schizophrenic, your description rings true..

* Sorry for the term - my political correctness deserts me when I'm tired.
                  Bridewell and Rubyretro, it makes me feel very good to know I have brought something to the table that is worthwhile, thank you for that input

I would love to have been Jack's nurse and hear whatever he might have to say about his 'voices', those commands. A conversation the worlds ear would have listened intently to, to understand exactly what were his delusions. For that reason I regret he never was caught. Stopping the killings of course would be the primary reason.
                  Last edited by Beowulf; 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM. Reason: misspelling correction

Comment

Epileptic Mania?

To Phil Carter

Sir Melville did not ascribe any kind of exotic political motivation to Druitt, whatsoever, just a specific form of high functioniong insanity.

It seems to be the same posthumous diagnosis as the 1899 North Country's Vicar's Ripper. The latter allegedly led a blameless life but tragically suffered from 'epileptic mania'. According to this [redunddant] condition a person could commit homicide, suicide, appalling acts of ultra-violence against loved ones and/or strangers, be full of fury, shrieking and raving in fits, and then become calm again -- and sometimes apparently not recall the episodes of furious mania.

From p. 114 of 'Days of My Years':

' ... Apart from the fact that no man in the last stage of furious madness, as the perpetrator of the Dorset Street horror must have been, could have lived to embark on a totally different series of atrocities ...'

Earlier, in Chapter IV on the Ripper case, Macnaghten had written that the un-named Druitt also probably had a 'diseased body', another so-called symptom of this illness.

Comment

The problem is there is no evidence that Druitt suffered from ' Furious Madness'whatever that is. He was functioning normally, even taking part in a court case before he died. As for the' diseased body' well Druitt was quite an athlete, as we know. Macnaughton's finest drivel.
                      The evidence of Druitt's letter shows he was suffering from a depression and anxiety that he would develop madness like his mother. That is all. There is no indication that Druitt was schizophrenic, he may have feared he was developing symptoms and was terrified of ending up in a mad house and losing his reason and saw death as preferable.

Macnaughton sprouts a lot of balderdash about madness, he was not a doctor and before Freud, the Victorian understanding of madness was limited. The Victorian perception of madness overshadows the case. When the Victorians took an intellectual interest in the brain, it let to beliefs such as Phrenology,where the brain was divided into 27 distinct localised organs responsible for different functions. the sentiments, intellectual,individuality
                      locality, Comparison and Causality plus language etc.
                      By looking at a head and measuring each'organ' you could determine a person's character and potential. So if a man was deemed to have an enlarged criminal or organ that indicates mad, that's him done for then.
                      The melodramatic madman loved by the Victorians has become part of Jack legend.

Miss Marple
                      Last edited by miss marple; 08-02-2012, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                        I just want to say that being a nurse, I have met many schizophrenics, and mentally ill people as patients of mine. They come in for medical reasons, same as others, appendicitis, pneumonia, sepsis. Many of them cease to take their medications for their psyche issues, and I see on occasion ones who will not eat their food, due to the delusion they are being poisoned. They believe the doctor trying to do so as well, and stop taking the medications, at which point they go into some decline of their illness.

But even so, they are able to pay their bills, live at home, speak with friends normally, depending on the extremity of their illness. They do not let others know if they are thinking strange thoughts, and are aware they are 'different' thoughts. They can be very crafty and cunning about all this.

Seeing them refusing to eat hospital food is one way that alerts ones in the medical world to the extent of decline they are experiencing.

As I said once before, I observed a woman, who was very pleasant to me, in her room with the door shut (I had opened it to enter, she was unaware) passing a medallion on a chain over her food and engaged in some sort of ritual to make it safe to eat from her standpoint. Never would she do this in front of anyone. Still, she didn't eat enough to stay alive. She clearly believed we were trying to poison her. She refused all medications from us.

When asked if they are hearing voices (my job requires me to do this at times) they sometimes deny it, but actually admit to it sometimes. Many have told me of the 'voices', some claim multiple voices, telling them to do things and how they do or do not listen to them. I have been surprised to find this out more than once as they seem so 'normal' otherwise.

One man told me the devil spoke to him, (this patient was in a psyche ward), he was admitted for debilitation of his illness. He had been found wandering the streets acting strangely, but still, was able to talk with me normally, and I'm sure would have no problem obtaining services with a prostitute. In fact, he lived in a part of town where there were street girls and I would not be surprised if he didn't make use of their services. He would not come out of his room, he kept to himself.

Once he spoke to me through a completely closed mouth, as if someone had an invisible hand over his mouth and he were trying very hard to speak to me. This man could easily become violent, yet he played along with us knowing that behavior discourage any discharge from the hospital. He could be very pleasant, ask to shower, read a magazine, watch tv. You would not guess his illness at these times. Only on occasion would it show. If he were attempting to do something normal odd behavior would subside.

I'm not saying I feel Kosminski was JTR, but wouldn't rule him out based on inaccurate ideas regarding mental illness. I would like to see more about him, but it is not available.
                        Excellent post.

Comment

Originally posted by robhouse View Post
                          Excellent post.
                          I agree-great post Beowulf-that really means something coming from someone with first hand experience. i used to think that there was no way that kos could have been the ripper because he was bat **** crazy and at the height of the scare there would be no way a prostitute would go with him to a dark alley. but after reading the various posts from you and other knowledgeable people on the matter, i now think it is possible (though slight) that he could have been lucid (and normal appearing enough) to pull it off.

Also, another point against Kos people make is that his records show he was not violent enough to have been JtR. Most proven serial killers (mentally ill or not) once encarcerated do not exhibit violent behaviour-quite the contrary-they typically are "role model" inmates.

However, there is a telling incident of violence in his past while not being "sectioned". Threatening his sister with the knife incident is very telling to me in that he used a KNIFE as the weapon and it was a WOMAN he threatened. IF I was a Kos supporter I would be all over this. I think most likelely this is the incident that got him alerted to the police and doctors. He was a heavy burden to his family before this incident but now clearly he is a threat. He had to go-either through legal or medical means. They may have even told the police and or doctors they beleived him to be the killer.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan H View Post
                            It seems to be the same posthumous diagnosis as the 1899 North Country's Vicar's Ripper. The latter allegedly led a blameless life but tragically suffered from 'epileptic mania'.
                            Well, Newland Smith died from it in....1898!

Smith was transferred to Holloway Asylum to the Cane Hill Asylum (a private one) in 1894, two weeks before Macnaghten wrote his Memorandum.

Comment

Beowulf,

The images you present re: your experiences, are similar to what many of us have been suggesting for years with regards to Kosminski, but had no personal experiences; just ideas, some book knowledge, and common sense. Thanks for listing your personal anecdotes.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
                                I just want to say that being a nurse, I have met many schizophrenics, and mentally ill people as patients of mine. ....
                                Thankyou Beowulf for putting schizophrenia in an everyday context that we can all understand.

It doesn't help me get over the idea that a 23 yr old could look "middle-aged", that being my biggest hurdle with respect to Kosminski being the killer.
                                But thats my problem :-)

Very informative post!

Best wishes, Jon S.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X