Jack the Ripper(s)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Curius,

If he was a serial killer, then he didn't have an accomplice. In fact, an accomplice would only add more questions to the pile, not explaining anything.

Corey
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Jack the Ripper(s)

Hello Corey,

Old family retainer perhaps? The free pardon offered to anyone who didnīt actually kill the victims seems to indicate that the police thought there was someone else involved. You have to remember that 100 years ago things were very different - class differences were very much more pronounced than they are today.

Comment

Hello Curious,

It isn't really the fact that he was a serial killer, much more that he was a lust murderer. Let me read you a line from Psychopathia Sexualis;

Lust-murders dependent upon psychopathic conditions are never committed with accomplices. - Pg. 398
        Yours truly,

Corey
        Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

I always thought the "pardon for somebody not actually doing the killing" thing was notbecause the police suspected an accomplice, but because they had to identify the second man in the "lipsky" inncident that Israel Schwartz (spelt right?) Witnessed. Was the second man chasing him or fleeing?
          There Will Be Trouble! http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Little-Tro...s=T.+E.+Hodden

Comment

Hello Tom,

First of all good morning.

Second, I think it was done because the police were desperate.
            Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

JTR(s)

Hello Tom,

No, that hadnīt occurred to me. Always thought that the police thought there was an accomplice. There seems to be a lot to suggest that the Martha Tabram murder (if you count her as a JTR victim) was committed by two people - two weapons, both left- and right-handed). Seems to me that the pipe-smoking man wouldnīt have been implicated if he was only a witness - could have given evidence without needing a pardon.

Hello Corey,

Yes, but WAS it a lust murder?

Comment

Hello Curious,

An interesting question, if you believe there was a serial killer at work, then yes.
                Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Tabram et al.

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
                  Hello Curious,

An interesting question, if you believe there was a serial killer at work, then yes.
                  I'm not sure that I count Tabram as a victim of Jack the Ripper but I will say, I believe that there was one killer and one weapon. I know this goes against current theory but I belive that the difference in the 38 cuts and the one in the sternum may be accounted for by the weapon (possibly a well honed dagger) being worked back and forth to extract it from the sternum. the other 38 were likely fuelled by rage. But with a good, well honed and well crafted dagger, I believe that would account for the discrepency.
                  Neil "Those who forget History are doomed to repeat it." - Santayana

Comment

Originally posted by curious4 View Post
                    Hello Sister H. Yes, good idea about the glögg - usually only served at Christmas though. Yes, you are quite right, everything points to one killer, with or without help, although I do think an accomplice would have explained quite a lot. Could have held a lamp for example? It was very dark when at least one or two of the murders were committed.
                    Damn i had forgotten this thread, yeah i know glögg is only served at christmas, but usually after the "end of year" period, the systembolaget still has a lot of it in stock (that's what i used to do to bring some to my family every year when i was living in uddevalla).
                    Well i am also convinced the Ripper had an accomplice, or at least somebody covering his a** on some points. I think a lamp would have been a bit too obvious in the dark, it would have probably caught the eyes of somebody around (even somebody sitting in his room or so), i'm not sure his accomplice would have been with him while executing the murders, maybe more a "watch". which could also explain why some people were encountered very close to the murder sites very close to the times of the killings

Comment

Originally posted by YankeeSergeant View Post
                      I believe that there was one killer and one weapon.
                      Hi YS

Agreed, and as far as I'm concerned, it's the only viable theory.

All the best

Comment

Hello Tom,

No worries, in truth the term "lust-murder" originates from Psychopathia Sexualis, when Ebbing explained that murder out of lust was indicated by wounds to the genitalia, with the body opened and oragns wanting...
                        But if I recall Ebbing based his hypothesis on a list of victims which included the frenzied(?) stabbing of Martha Tabram.
                        The accuracy of any psychological profile depends on getting your list of victims correct. Such a list is still open to debate but most researchers have at the very least accepted the same hand at work with the murders of Nichols, Chapman & Eddowes.
                        I'm not so sure 'lust' can be so easily attributed to the murders of those three victims.

Direct accomplice in the crime, no!, ....but, possibly indirect, if the killer working for someone?
                        Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wickerman,

I don't recall Ebbing including any list of the victims. In fact he barely mentions the murders in psychopathia sexualis. What is your source for this?

Also, the possiblity that these were perpetrated by any other man is ridiculous.

Lastly, these murders are lust murders, this is fact not opinion.
                          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hello Wickerman,

I don't recall Ebbing including any list of the victims. In fact he barely mentions the murders in psychopathia sexualis. What is your source for this?
                            Psychopathia Sexualis, 1906 edition.
                            (it was continually updated since it was published in 1886)
                            Evidence is listed, not by name of victim but by date of murders.

Case 17.
                            Dec 1, 1887.
                            July 7, Aug. 8, Sept. 30 (+ one in October), Nov. 9th 1888.
                            June 1, July 17th, Sept 10th 1889.
                            Quote:
                            "In some instances he cut off the genitals and carried them away; in others he only tore them to pieces and left them behind. He does not seem to have had sexual intercourse with his victims, but very likely the murderous act and subsequent mutilations of the corpse were equivalents for the sexual act."
                            Psychopathia Sexualis, Krafft-Ebing, pp.90/91.

So you see, Krafft-Ebing's analysis was based on the whole wide range of crimes from 1887 to 1889. His assumption being that they were all perpetrated by the same individual.
                            If you accept his conclusion you must accept his assumption.

Lastly, these murders are lust murders, this is fact not opinion.
                            No!, it is most certainly ONLY opinion, and opinion drawn from flawed assumptions.
                            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hello Wickerman,

Obviously you know nothing of "lust-murder" if you think this is opinion. I will leave it at that.

Either way I see no indications in which Ebbing says his victim list is procured by the presence of Tabram's murder.
                              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hello Wickerman,

Obviously you know nothing of "lust-murder" if you think this is opinion. I will leave it at that.

Either way I see no indications in which Ebbing says his victim list is procured by the presence of Tabram's murder.
                                So which murders did Krafft-Ebing base his conclusions on?

- Dec. 1887, Unknown victim, one of several possibles.

- July 7th 1888. Unknown, but possibly typo for Aug 7th which would then be Martha Tabram.

- Aug 8th - Unknown, equally possible typo for Sept. 8th which would then be Annie Chapman.

- Sept. 30th (+ 1 in Oct.) Double murder of Eddowes & Stride.

- Nov. 9th, Mary Kelly.

- June 1st 1889 Elizabeth Jackson, body parts found in Thames, today classed as a Torso murder.

- July 17th 1889, Alice McKenzie.

- Sept. 10th Pinchin St. Torso.

From a relatively rapid assault (McKenzie), to frenzied stabbings (Tabram), to intense mutilations (Chapman, Eddowes, Kelly), to severing of limbs (Jackson, Pinchin St.), Krafft-Ebing included them all in his determination that a single sexual perpetrator was at large.
                                If all these murders were not by the same hand then his conclusions are/were flawed. And today I can't imagine anyone agreeing with Krafft-Ebing's selection.

When all you have to determine Motive is a selection of victims, and you have no idea which victims are attributable to one or many different killers, then any conclusions you attempt to draw regarding the frame of mind of your 'presumed multiple murderer' is considerbly flawed, in fact borders on the ridiculous.

Interestingly he excluded, or forgot:
                                Mary Nichols, Aug. 31st 1888.
                                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
                                X