Whitechapel Infirmary Admission 1885-87

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitechapel Infirmary Admission 1885-87

I am in the process of transcribing the admissions registers of the Whitechapel Union Infirmary from 1885 to 1887 and will start posting these shortly. However, I have a query. I have come across one entry, a woman named Mary Chaplin, admitted in May 1885. The cause of admission is a complete mystery to me, and I have never seen this before. I thought at first this said "S.X.D" but if you look at the capital S of Single in an earlier column, there is little similarity. I think "L.X.D." is a more likely reading. But what this could refer to as a medical condition I have no idea.
    It was presumably a serious condition as Mary Chaplin is listed as dying, still under Infirmary care, on 19 December 1885.
    I am posting the section below and would greatly value any opinion as to what this could be.
    Chris
    Attached Files

Hi Chris,
    I checked under both LXD and SXD and found only modern explainations, mostly to do with computers and learning.

I cannot find anything which has older abbreviations on, sorry mate.
    Regards Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      I thought at first this said "S.X.D" but if you look at the capital S of Single in an earlier column, there is little similarity. I think "L.X.D." is a more likely reading. But what this could refer to as a medical condition I have no idea.
      I think the middle character is '&' rather than 'X'.

I cheated by going to "Moving Here" and looking at neighbouring entries, and I think I can see the same thing written several times in full. But the image really isn't very clear. My best guess is "Ill & Dest[itute]", but I'm not very confident that's right. (But maybe it's not unreasonable, considering there's "Old & Dirty" a bit further on!)

Comment

Chris,

L & D, Labor and Delivery.

My guess.

Mike
        huh?

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
          Chris,

My guess.

Mike
          Now you come to mention it, it does look like "L + D"
          Regards Mike

Comment

Hi guys
            Many thanks for the prompt suggestions
            Having looked at the entry in context again I can add one more thing. The following entry, a woman named Sophia Cook, was admitted under the same "Cause of Admission" but she was aged 56, so I think any cause relating to childbirth is unlikely
            The only other thing they have in common is that both are needlewomen.
            Chris
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Chris Scott; 09-16-2008, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post

My guess.
              That would seem reasonable for the initials, but I don't think it's what the other entries say. These are the ones numbered 156, 190, 262 and 286 (http://www.movinghere.org.uk/deliver...3_018/0/1.pdf).

If it is the same condition, then men were afflicted by it as well as women.

Comment

Chris,

Well, my first reaction was LVD, maybe Lethal Venereal Disease.

If using '&' was common rather than using acronyms, Lung Disease could work.

Mike
                huh?

Comment

Hi Chris
                  Thanks for that
                  For anyone looking at the link Chris gave, the entries I am talking about are number 63 and 64
                  Chris

Comment

It wouldn't be an ampersand in the middle, as there'd be no reason to put period after it. It must be part of the abbreviation.

From the first look it always appeared to be "L.K.D." to me, which sounds like it'd be liver/kidney disease.

Dan Norder
                    Ripper Notes: The International Journal for Ripper Studies
                    Web site: www.RipperNotes.com - Email: dannorder@gmail.com

Comment

Dan,

There's no period after the D so, it could be in the wrong place. The 'v' looking letter looks a lot like the ampersand to the left.

Cheers,

Mike
                      huh?

Comment

Here's a little montage of the similar entries.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Test.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	654842

Comment

I think you're right, it's an abbreviation of 'Ill & Destitute', the capital letters and the ampersand are not dissimilar in any of the entries

Comment

I think the first letter is a 't'. What did you use for the very first entry on the page - that seems to be the same starting letter in the cause of admissions. (Ann Abrahams i think is her name)
                            Last edited by evilina; 09-16-2008, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Chris,

Ill and Dest it is. Thanks for the test, however.

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

Working...
                              X