Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Sam Flynn 9 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Elamarna 13 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Batman 18 minutes ago.
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - by Sam Flynn 28 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - by Sam Flynn 31 minutes ago.
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - by Michael W Richards 37 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (50 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (14 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (12 posts)
Doctors and Coroners: Sedgewick Saunders ....... why did he say the things he said ? - (11 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: New suspect book. - (11 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (3 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Goulston Street Graffito

View Poll Results: Did Jack write the GSG?
YES 78 39.20%
NO 121 60.80%
Voters: 199. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-13-2010, 02:57 AM
Commisioner

Hello Garry,

A very good point. I too have an open mind about the writing on the wall.
IMHO it has many possibilities as to it's source.

best wishes

Phil

Justice for the 96 = achieved
Accountability? ....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 AM
Constable

I would also have to vote no. Thus being plain and clear. Let's just say you've murdered two women, in less than an hour. Your being hunted. Not only do you have blood on you, but you possess Kate Eddowes's Apron. But yourself in the killer's shoes. Would you stop and write a message on the wall? Or would you get the hell out of the situation as much as possible? I would think that this killer was more inept to getting away as fast as possible, rather than loiter around, and if...IF he happened to loiter around the location of Goulston Street, then it would obviously point to him living in that area.

Regards,
Justin
Old 01-13-2010, 05:43 PM
Cadet

How is it that the authorities thought that the GSG was potentially more politically and racially unstable than a body being found beside a Jewish club? Or was it only seen as a problem when thought of in conjuction with that? Was it the Working Men's club that Warren thought would be the target? Surely the killing was a much bigger problem politically? Did Jack write it hoping to throw suspicion onto the members of the club? I have always had trouble coming up with a reason for Jack to write the GSG - I know his reasons may be more than a little whacked, but still - what is the point? And if the club was the point, why there in Goulston street? Were any of the residents members?

Sorry after all these ramblings i think it unlikely that the GSG had relevance to the ripper, but how to explain the apron?
Old 01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry Wroe
I've always kept an open mind on the 'Juwes' message, Tom, but have often wondered why, if the killer had a penchant for leaving textual messages, he neglected to do so at the Kelly crime scene despite having the time and privacy that were so obviously lacking in Goulston Street.
Hi Garry. That's a good question and I think it comes down to circumstance. My interpretation of the graffiti is that the Ripper was letting authorities know that he killed Stride. It's curious that no two men report having seen the same thing on the wall, as though they'd all been hypnotized. I believe this is because they were trying to make a word out of an acronyn - The IWMES are the men that will be blamed for nothing. Just a theory, but it's workable. Of course, the acronym means 'International Working Men's Educational Society', the name that appeared on the big sign above the front door of the Berner Street club. Whether I'm correct or not, I wouldn't take it for granted that the graffiti made any direct reference to Jews. A photograph of the writing would be nice, thank you very much, Sir Charles.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
Old 01-14-2010, 05:24 PM
Chief Inspector

That’s an interesting interpretation, Tom. I don’t buy into it myself. But, as you have inferred, much of the message-related speculation currently doing the rounds would have been obviated had Sir Charles applied more forensic care to the task of evidence gathering. Still, whilst Warren was clearly out of his depth, he performed no less competently than those who would lead the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper almost a century later.

All the best.

Garry Wroe.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:54 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
How is it that the authorities thought that the GSG was potentially more politically and racially unstable than a body being found beside a Jewish club? Or was it only seen as a problem when thought of in conjunction with that?

There was not only a Jewish connotation concerning the message and Stride murder scene, Evilina, but with Mitre Square, too. This latter element is often overlooked, yet was almost certainly a significant factor in Warren’s decision to expunge the message.

Quote:
Was it the Working Men's club that Warren thought would be the target?

It was the Jewish community in general. The ‘pauper alien’ in the late-Victorian East End was regarded by many with the same venomous contempt as are radical Muslim extremists in contemporary Britain. Since this simmering resentment had already manifested itself in mob violence directed at the local Hebrew population, it would be no exaggeration to state that the authorities feared a bloodbath. Given this context, it becomes easy to understand Warren’s decisions in sociopolitical terms, if not from an investigative perspective.

Quote:
I have always had trouble coming up with a reason for Jack to write the GSG - I know his reasons may be more than a little whacked, but still - what is the point?

We will never know if the Whitechapel Murderer authored the Goulston Street message. If he did, however, it is likely that he was a Gentile who was attempting to fan the flames of press and public suspicion that the killer was a Jew. If, on the other hand, the message was non-Ripper related, it was probably intended to imply that the Jews were apt to blame others rather than acknowledge their own deficiencies.

Quote:
Sorry after all these ramblings i think it unlikely that the GSG had relevance to the ripper, but how to explain the apron?

Quite simply, the apron remnant was almost certainly used to wrap up the body parts and thereby protect the killer’s clothing from fluid seepage as he made his escape from Mitre Square. The fact that it was offloaded in Goulston Street is strongly suggestive that the killer was nearing his bolt-hole and couldn’t risk retaining possession of it any longer.

Regards.

Garry Wroe.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Septic Blue

Like Tom, I perceive a reference to the murder of Elizabeth Stride, within the written portion of the message; albeit, one that is more-or-less indirect.

I also perceive a reference to the murder of Catharine Eddowes, within the apron portion of the message; one that is emphatic, and quite clearly very direct.

I should emphasize that this is all nothing more than a gut-feeling; but I envisage Stride's murderer having been disturbed in Dutfield's Yard, and having thus been enraged and obsessively compelled to do something, which he psychotically considered to be immoral: Kill twice during the same excursion. Having done just that; he more-or-less blamed the "Juwes" for Eddowes's death, and 'voiced' his feelings accordingly.

I should emphasize again, that this is merely a gut-feeling.

---------

I have never voted in a 'Casebook' poll; and never will I choose to do so!

But, were I at all inclined to vote in this particular poll, I would not be able – as the only rational answer is not included amongst the choices. That being: "I do not know"!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septic Blue View Post
I should emphasize that this is all nothing more than a gut-feeling; but I envisage Stride's murderer having been disturbed in Dutfield's Yard, and having thus been enraged and obsessively compelled to do something, which he psychotically considered to be immoral: Kill twice during the same excursion. Having done just that; he more-or-less blamed the "Juwes" for Eddowes's death, and 'voiced' his feelings accordingly.
I have a strong gut-feeling that you're right.

Amitiés,
David
Old 01-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Commisioner

For someone who is very obvious in deed he is very extremely ambiguous when corresponding.

Monty

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622
Old 01-15-2010, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Certainly, but if the GSG doesn't refer to the murders, it becomes even more absurd and abstruse.

Amitiés,
David