Academic Paper relating to JTR and the End End

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academic Paper relating to JTR and the End End

I haven't posted in a long time but thought I would post this link that I saved a long while ago and only recently rediscovered (this professor changed universities and I had to figure out where she had moved to). This is a paper by Dr. Laura Vaughan called "Mapping the End End Labryinth". She studies how the layout of an urban area can contribute to things like crime and pockets of poverty. In this paper she specifically deals with the locations of the Ripper murders during the period.

I found a few interesting tidbits in the paper. I didn't realize that Charles Booth himself said that Dorset Street was the "worst street he had come across yet" in his survey (I thought this opinion was simply voiced from from a journalist). And ten years later in Charles Booth's map (1889 and 1899) it was still categorized as a high poverty street. In 1891 there were 372 inhabitants in Dorset Street and of the Jewish residents that listed occupation 42% worked in the manufacture of clothing while only 3% of the non-Jewish population did. In contrast a large percentage of non-Jewish residents were listed as either carmen, general laborers, dock workers, or hawkers. Jewish residents of these professions were "close to nil".

--Jeff
    Jeff

Thanks for posting this, interesting stuff!

Comment

Cheers for posting it Pinkerton.

Comment

This is from my copy of the poverty maps which accompanied the New Survey of London Life and Labour (a follow up to Booth's survey of 30 years before). Interesting to note that Duval St (ex Dorset St). and Whites Row still had the semi-criminal and below the poverty line classifications.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X