Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 5 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Trevor Marriott 1 hour and 7 minutes ago.
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - by Simon Wood 1 hour and 17 minutes ago.
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - by Sherlock Houses 1 hour and 22 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - by Batman 1 hour and 23 minutes ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - by Batman 2 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (63 posts)
Mary Ann Nichols: What Direction Was Polly Travelling When She Was Killed? - (4 posts)
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): special k and George yard - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (3 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: JtR was Law Enforcement Hypothesis - (2 posts)
A6 Murders: A6 Rebooted - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Motive, Method and Madness

Old 07-27-2018, 08:02 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
In 1902, there was a dreadful disaster on the island of Martinique in the Caribbean, when Mount Pelee erupted and destroyed a local city, killing some 30,000 inhabitants. Normally that would be the lead feature in the newspaper of the day - just too terrible to hide.
I'd be surprised to see anything about the eruption in the east coast papers for the 8th. It didn't happen until 8am, and the colonial government in Fort de France, some eight miles to the south, weren't sure themselves what had happened (apart from the fact that the volcano had exploded and all phone and telegraph circuits were down) until about noon. Even at that, it took some time for them to accept what had really happened. The world of 1902 just didn't have a reference for an event that could kill an entire city in under five minutes.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:24 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayerling View Post
The point is what happened on those other days from August through November 1888, of a sensational nature in London - what were the local events that were jostled out of first place in the attention of the public. They may have nothing to do with each other - but what if two of them seem to parallel each other by circumstances? Then maybe a connection can be seen. But first we have to find out what occurred on those five days.
This is a fascinating idea, and one that I missed on first posting. I very much doubt that the murders were intended to push something else out of the news (creating a distraction would have to be almost unimaginably important to warrant taking such a risk), but it's an interesting line of inquiry to see what was happening those same nights as the murders, or on the days preceeding the murders. I think most of us accept that Jack killed on weekends and holidays to accomodate his work/life schedule, but why those particular weekends? Was there maybe some sort of stressor the day before the murders? If so, it was probably something in his private life, but there's just an outside chance it might have been something public.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:40 AM
Assistant Commissioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
This is a fascinating idea, and one that I missed on first posting. I very much doubt that the murders were intended to push something else out of the news (creating a distraction would have to be almost unimaginably important to warrant taking such a risk), but it's an interesting line of inquiry to see what was happening those same nights as the murders, or on the days preceeding the murders. I think most of us accept that Jack killed on weekends and holidays to accomodate his work/life schedule, but why those particular weekends? Was there maybe some sort of stressor the day before the murders? If so, it was probably something in his private life, but there's just an outside chance it might have been something public.
There were parallel stories running all that Fall, one which ran the length of the so-called Canonical Spree,.. and in that story double agents, Fenian bombers and all sorts of ne'r do wells were in London as a result. Seems coincidental that a public hearing into allegations that a senior member of parliament sided with Irish self rule factions and goals, and maybe had a role in political assassinations and attempts, was running at the same time as a "single" serial killer who suddenly manifested himself, was out of control. And that all the senior officers assigned to the Ripper cases came from counter-intelligence or national Security departments.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM
Detective

I don't think Jack was trying to draw too much attention to himself as others such as the letter writers and fraudulent witnesses were doing that for him. The fact that the Lord Mayor's show was on the morning that MJK was killed may have been complete co-incidence and JTR, I expect would have had to have made a pretty early morning get-away in order not to be seen by the residents of Millar's Court whether he was known or unknown. Once he made it on to Dorset Street, he could easily mingle with the passing workers and those on their way to the Lord Mayor's show. Which was probably the same same as he did right after he killed Annie Chapman in Hanbury Street' Had JTR left it any later, he probably would have been caught red-handed by John Davis.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:20 PM
Detective

In a broader sense, I wonder if but for Jack the Ripper, the Torso Killer would have been a bigger deal. Assuming that Jack and the Torso Killer are different people, the latter seems more talented and advanced, and perhaps would have considered himself more worthy of press coverage and notoriety than Jack. Today only people like us know about the Torso Killer, while Jack the Ripper is a household name.

I like to joke that the thing that breaks the Torso Killer case open in the future might be somebody recalling that their great-grandfather seemed to have a bitter grudge against Jack the Ripper.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:08 PM
Chief Inspector

Mayerling, thank you for sharing about Larry Donavan the bridge jumper. I see what you mean about his death occuring at the same time as the Tabram murder.

I found a moment in the history of London which worked the opposite way, when an event overshadowed the Whitechapel murders. Sort of.

Recall the Sun newspaper published a series of articles in February 1894 which cast Thomas Cutbush (unnamed) as Jack the Ripper. And in reply to those articles, Police official Melville Macnaghten penned his reply in the form of a Memorandum, which came to light many years later. In his memo he spoke of the "five and five only victims" which we know as the Canonical Five, and the Druitt and Kosminski suspect theories emenated from his memo. We still study and debate those points today.

But as it turns out, the Sun articles were overshadowed by a news event which generated headlines in the London papers and was a big story all over the world in fact. Smack dab during that week in February 1894 an anarchist blew himself up with his own bomb at Greenwich Royal Observatory Park. His name was Martial Bourdin.

Roy
Old 08-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Commisioner

Ill bet ten bucks your all gay. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Lol

Nice shirt btw.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Last edited by Abby Normal : 08-11-2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:21 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby Normal View Post
Ill bet ten bucks your all gay. Not that theres anything wrong with that. Lol

Nice shirt btw.
Now, from what important story are you trying to distract us, with mention of my (fascinating, yet ultimately irrelevant), gayness and new shirt?