Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Rippercast: Martin Fido at the Cloak & Dagger Club- December 1995 - by Sam Flynn 4 minutes ago.
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - by Batman 26 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Fisherman 27 minutes ago.
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - by Fisherman 33 minutes ago.
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - by Elamarna 39 minutes ago.
Witnesses: Lawende was silenced - by Elamarna 43 minutes ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Klosowski, Severin (George Chapman): Can George Chapmam reform himself to being a calculating poisoner seven years later?. - (30 posts)
Abberline, Inspector Frederick: Hinting at something? - (17 posts)
Non-Fiction: the victims werent prostitutes - (12 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: New suspect book. - (11 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: The Bucks Row Project Summary Report. - (6 posts)
Catherine Eddowes: Eddowes V-shape wounds are scissors I think - (4 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Social Chat > Pub Talk

Old 08-03-2018, 12:21 PM
Cadet

There will always be a massive gulf between Trump supporters and non-supporters on what he allegedly delivers because there are different views on what counts as delivered. I.e. if it is about progressing Russia's Foreign Policy or damaging the environment then yes, I agree he delivers. Anyways, different people have different priorities.

About the WaPo, they have journalistic standards to defend and are fact checking as much as possible. Yes, I am happy that they have fact checked 4000+ statements as lies and have have not come across a single one that I know and can show to be incorrect. Why don't you try it yourself?

This leaves us with the fact of lying. It matters because the decorum of the presidency and society in general matters. What we are witnessing here is the moral castration of the GOP and the evangelicals. Once it's down to "I don't care as long as he hates the same people that I hate? BRAVO!!!" Then a serious rethink is needed.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:48 PM
Chief Inspector

Good work, Svensson. I think Trump's supporters do truly believe he is championing them against the lying press and the evil Deep State. The fact that these things most likely do not exist (well, except in Russia), doesn't bother them. It's true the economy seems better, and unemployment is down, but will Chinese tariffs on American imports change those facts?
How will we manage when prices climb to offset the extra charges to the manufacturers?

I think Trump has delivered hatred, bigotry, chaos and confusion on a world stage. He is inflicting damage on the environment, human rights, simp!e decency, and to quote Bob Dylan "The Times They Are A'Changin'"-- the sooner the better. Let's hope the pendulum swings back to a more sensible government.
---------------
Old 08-05-2018, 02:48 AM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post
There will always be a massive gulf between Trump supporters and non-supporters on what he allegedly delivers because there are different views on what counts as delivered. I.e. if it is about progressing Russia's Foreign Policy or damaging the environment then yes, I agree he delivers. Anyways, different people have different priorities.
"Russia's foreign policy?"

When the EU and USA backed the coup of a democratically elected government in Ukraine because they were too pro-Russia and then stood back while Russia annexed Crimea what exactly was Obama's policy on Russia?

Dave.

Smilies are canned laughter.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:56 AM
Cadet

"When the EU and USA backed the coup of a democratically elected government in Ukraine"

Erm. Sure.

Again, this highlights the problem. Trump is lying to justify his narrative. We know why he does it which makes it so important that someone like the WaPo have taken on this impossible task.

Still, my point was the fact that he is lying like no one else before ( at least not is a democratic administration) as this is pretty much undisputed and I have stated why I find this a problem, no matter what the party affiliation actually is. If this is no issue for you, then you at least need to accept that the GOPs inaction on Trump's constant lying will disqualify them from making any moral judgment on other politicians on international matters for a generation. That IS a problem IMO.

Last edited by Svensson : 08-05-2018 at 12:08 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Detective

Trump announces 'incredible' trade deal with Mexico

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45323634

On cars, the two sides also settled on rules that will require 40%-45% of each vehicle to be made by workers earning at least $16 an hour.

That provision is aimed at discouraging firms from locating plants in lower-wage Mexico.

Trump is the worst racist ever!! He is really bad at it, he has just got a load of good, honest Mexican factory workers a rather impressive pay-rise.

Are you yanks sick of winning yet? Because I think you and your president is great.

Dave.

Old 08-27-2018, 11:46 AM
Sergeant

Once again, I'm 57 years old. This man is easily the best POTUS of my lifetime. America's future looks brighter than it has since 1973, if not longer.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:06 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Once again, I'm 57 years old. This man is easily the best POTUS of my lifetime.
That seems a tad hyperbolic, if you don't mind my saying. What has Trump achieved compared to Reagan, say?

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 08-27-2018, 03:47 PM
Cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirectorDave View Post
Trump announces 'incredible' trade deal with Mexico

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45323634

On cars, the two sides also settled on rules that will require 40%-45% of each vehicle to be made by workers earning at least $16 an hour.

That provision is aimed at discouraging firms from locating plants in lower-wage Mexico.

Trump is the worst racist ever!! He is really bad at it, he has just got a load of good, honest Mexican factory workers a rather impressive pay-rise.

Are you yanks sick of winning yet? Because I think you and your president is great.
Lol, do you have any idea how much a engine assembler earns? Hint, its a lot more than 15 bucks. And yes, also in Mexico. So how exactly that translates to "pay rises" for Mexican workers is not specified at all.

Seems to me that Trump is trying for another victory lap over another red herring. The North Korea fiasco is still fresh, but Trumpsters already seem to have forgiven him for that.

Nevermind, he will be in shackles by Christmas.
Old 08-27-2018, 04:15 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensson View Post

Seems to me that Trump is trying for another victory lap over another red herring. The North Korea fiasco is still fresh, but Trumpsters already seem to have forgiven him for that.

Nevermind, he will be in shackles by Christmas.
Even Fake News CNN are not criticising it....all they are doing is memorials of Songbird McCain.

Dave.

Old 08-28-2018, 04:42 AM
Cadet

Hm, I don't follow that logic. If CNN are criticising Trump, then they are fake news. If they don't criticise Trump, then he is vindicated.... (besides, there is tons of stuff on CNN, ABC, CBS, NBC, PBS that criticise Trump for his handling of the North Korea situation).

Anyways, I go back to my statement at the top of this page:

"There will always be a massive gulf between Trump supporters and non-supporters on what he allegedly delivers because there are different views on what counts as 'delivered'."

Given that Trump is such a prolific proven liar, I prefer to check the facts myself. Trump supporters seem to think that Trump's word is enough on any given subject. Broadly, his "statements" fall into three categories. Blatant lies, Out and out lunatics and Complete Contradictions to earlier statements (specifically, Obama-bad, me-good, even for identical actions/statements). Having seem his announcement while trying to get the Mexican president on the phone, I could probably list a handful of statements in each of these three categories.

The problem is obvious: Any "fact-based discussion" on Trump would probably break the internet, so he could then resign and declare that he has fixed the internet as well.