Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 17 minutes ago.
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - by TradeName 47 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - by harry 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - by c.d. 3 hours ago.
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - by c.d. 3 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - by Batman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you wont kill in Whitechapel? - (42 posts)
General Discussion: Ripper was several people... - (12 posts)
General Discussion: Jack The Ripper and Venus - (7 posts)
Mary Jane Kelly: So what happened to that femur...? - (6 posts)
General Discussion: Eddowes' Shawl - (6 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Jack the Ripper learned don't eviscerate before you exsanguinate - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Letters and Communications > Openshaw Letter

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #11  
Old 06-16-2016, 08:18 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
I should add that I think the Openshaw letter was written by an educated person pretending to be an ill-educated one. Everything on the envelope is spelled correctly, including the word "pathological". On the other hand the misspellings of the letter, itself, are overdone and seem deliberate, even adding an "h" onto the beginning of a word to mimic a Cockney accent. If one had gone to school at all and learned to write, one would certainly know better than to put an "h" where it did not belong simply because that was a pronunciation habit in London's East End, the location of the post-mark of the Openshaw letter--or leave out the same letter when it was omitted in speaking.

**Old boss you was rite it was the left kidny i was goin to hoperate agin close to you ospitle just as i was going to dror mi nife along of er bloomin throte them cusses of coppers spoilt the game but i guess i wil be on the jobn soon and will send you another bit of innerds


Jack the Ripper


O have you seen the devle with his mikerscope and scalpul a-lookin at a kidney with a slide cocked up.**
And for all you astute detectives out there in ripperology land, note the word kidney is spelt correct at the end and not at the beginning which goes to show this postrr is right with his assumption

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-16-2016, 09:01 AM
DJA DJA is offline
Chief Inspector
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Some Australian Mountain Range.
Posts: 1,647
Default

Yep.
Also seems to have an insider's knowledge of the workings of the London Hospital's Pathology Department.
__________________
My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-16-2016, 09:07 AM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJA View Post
Yep.
Also seems to have an insider's knowledge of the workings of the London Hospital's Pathology Department.
wouldn't mind putting my money on a medical student prank !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-16-2016, 09:45 AM
Aldebaran Aldebaran is offline
*
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
wouldn't mind putting my money on a medical student prank !

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Which reminds me....I saw the documentary "Jack the Ripper-the German Suspect" in which you were featured. That was very interesting and educational, especially from the psychological and anatomical point of view. I could have missed remembering something, but did you find any information that could link the suspect, Carl Feigenbaum, to something that might have given him the knowledge to do the butchery on the C5 and retrieve organs? I admit I never realized, until this program, how difficult the "surgery" would have been.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-16-2016, 02:43 PM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldebaran View Post
Which reminds me....I saw the documentary "Jack the Ripper-the German Suspect" in which you were featured. That was very interesting and educational, especially from the psychological and anatomical point of view. I could have missed remembering something, but did you find any information that could link the suspect, Carl Feigenbaum, to something that might have given him the knowledge to do the butchery on the C5 and retrieve organs? I admit I never realized, until this program, how difficult the "surgery" would have been.
Hi
Glad you enjoyed the program it seems it was most enlightening to many around the world and has helped to change many peoples perception of the Ripper mystery.

As to the mutilation of the victims I dont think that needed any skill for anyone to perform. However I do believe that there was skill shown in the cutting of the women's throats, by someone who knew how to kill using a knife, and how to kill quickly, and quietly.

As to Feigenbaum he may well have had those skills as he was known to have been a soldier in the Prussian army.

As to the organ removal if you remember I dont support the old accepted theory that the killer removed the organs from Chapman and Eddowes.

Might I suggest you obtain a copy of my DVD which explores all of these issues in much more detail or my recently updated book Jack the Ripper-The Secret Police Files.

Links to both set out below

http://www.trevormarriott.co.uk/?page_id=328
http://www.trevormarriott.co.uk/?page_id=191

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-16-2016, 03:17 PM
Bridewell Bridewell is offline
Assistant Commissioner
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bottesford, Leicestershire
Posts: 3,754
Default

Quote:
As to the organ removal if you remember I don't support the old accepted theory that the killer removed the organs from Chapman and Eddowes.
The very old and very much accepted theory that this occurred. The medical men at the time seem to have been quite satisfied that (a) the killer was responsible and (b) there was nothing in terms of the time and light available which precluded this possibility.

Whilst I admire your willingness to "think outside the box" (ghastly management term though that is) I'm left wondering why you need to introduce an added complication in such circumstances (unless you have a new suspect in mind?).
__________________
Regards, Bridewell.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-16-2016, 11:59 PM
Trevor Marriott Trevor Marriott is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5,222
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridewell View Post
The very old and very much accepted theory that this occurred. The medical men at the time seem to have been quite satisfied that (a) the killer was responsible and (b) there was nothing in terms of the time and light available which precluded this possibility.

Whilst I admire your willingness to "think outside the box" (ghastly management term though that is) I'm left wondering why you need to introduce an added complication in such circumstances (unless you have a new suspect in mind?).
There is no added complication, the old accepted facts are there to be proved or disproved, not readily accepted as being correct because we now know that many of those old accepted facts have now been disproved, and that much of what the Victorian doctors said back then has now been proved to have been nothing more than guesswork.

www.trevormarriott.co.uk
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM
Shaggyrand Shaggyrand is offline
Detective
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 305
Default

Assuming that you could prove JtR sent the letter, licked the stamp and there was a good sample to compare it with, at this remove being at all helpful. Even under ideal conditions, saliva samples are only supposed to be good for about 30 years before they can't be used for identification purposes or so I've read anyway. At best you might get broader uses like confirming gender with presence of corrupted chromosome or something like that but nothing anywhere near finger pointing good.
Though I admit that I could be completely wrong but I'm skeptical that DNA from a stamp would be helpful at this remove.
__________________
Im often irrelevant. It confuses people.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:41 AM
Aldebaran Aldebaran is offline
*
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyrand View Post
Assuming that you could prove JtR sent the letter, licked the stamp and there was a good sample to compare it with, at this remove being at all helpful. Even under ideal conditions, saliva samples are only supposed to be good for about 30 years before they can't be used for identification purposes or so I've read anyway. At best you might get broader uses like confirming gender with presence of corrupted chromosome or something like that but nothing anywhere near finger pointing good.
Though I admit that I could be completely wrong but I'm skeptical that DNA from a stamp would be helpful at this remove.
I never heard about a 30-year time limit and, evidently, neither did a microbiologist named Yang. His subject disappeared more than 30 years ago.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...aliva-science/

I am not convinced that this letter was not just another hoax.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-18-2016, 06:50 AM
Aldebaran Aldebaran is offline
*
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 128
Default

The link, above, mentions a possible secretary as opposed to Amelia's own spit. If the writer of the Openshaw letter had a secretary, he would have to be a man of some position. On the other hand, as I wrote in a previous post, the author would not want a second party to see the letter because such letters wound up in the paper and someone might connect the writer to the address on a letter. As in "My boss just wrote a letter to Openshaw. What if he's the Ripper? I must report him."
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.