Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Ripper:"Criminal Minds"

Hello all,

I thought this was interesting. Today, after getting home from work I sat down to watch one of my many favorite television shows, "Criminal Minds". This show shows on A&E(american television).

This show is a non-fiction account of the cases of the Behavioral Analysis Unit[sic](It is properly called the Behavioral Sicence Unit) of the FBI.

THis case is of a (fake) serial killer killing men in the French Quarter of New Orleans. This UnSub is slitting the mens throats and empting their abdomens. Then 'he' sends taunting letters titled 'boss'.

When the BAU[sic] figures out it is a killer imitating "Jack the Ripper' they send out a profile. The problem is this offinder turns out to be a women.

Alot of mistakes as with the missarragned order of murders. The part where one of the victims have their innards opened BEFORE the killing cut.

They make the mistake of saying that "Some Ripperologists think that Jack the Ripper may have been raped in childhood".???

Not one Ripperoligsts(me included) that I have spoken to has propesed this idea. Nor do I think it is the case. Anyhow, this is a non-fiction show so I need to stop being so much of a nag.

All in all, a interesting show.

Yours truly
    Last edited by corey123; 02-20-2010, 04:24 AM.
    Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

As I type this I'm "rewatching" that episode...Being from Louisiana, this episode being set in New Orleans pulls me in and with JTR references that's just tops but they misconceptions they show and say really upsets me. It's a interesting show and some interesting case but if they wanted to do a JTR related cased, they could have at least asked a Ripperologist

Comment

Sarah,

Yes, me too. It was on earlier and I am, too, upset by the numerous errors they make. The biggest error that gets on my nerves is when they say a Ripperologist thinks Jack was raped when NOTHING indicates that he was.

Interesting episode, but they screwed over this case.
      Washington Irving:

"To a homeless man, who has no spot on this wide world which he can truly call his own, there is a momentary feeling of something like independence and territorial consequence, when, after a weary day's travel, he kicks off his boots, thrusts his feet into slippers, and stretches himself before an inn fire. Let the world without go as it may; let kingdoms rise and fall, so long as he has the wherewithal to pay his bills, he is, for the time being, the very monarch of all he surveys. The arm chair in his throne; the poker his sceptre, and the little parlour of some twelve feet square, his undisputed empire. "

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

As I recall, in the 1988 TV program with Peter Ustinov, one of the profilers does assert that Jack was abused, possibly sexually, by his mother.
        This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

Hi Stan,

Just saying that I, personally, haven't heard that idea nor even considered it. Nor shall I. His murders as much as I can tell, do not indicate prior sexual abuse.

Just a killer getting sexual satisfaction from the murders.

Nevertheless, even the revolting words said in this episode "some Ripperologists speculate that Mary Kelly was murdered in a flat that Jack the Ripper may have rented for the night". Need I say more??

Yours truly
          Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Originally posted by corey123 View Post
            Hi Stan,

Nevertheless, even the revolting words said in this episode "some Ripperologists speculate that Mary Kelly was murdered in a flat that Jack the Ripper may have rented for the night". Need I say more??

Yours truly
            OH! I hated that fact!

Comment

Sarah,

As do I. Sad, that such a respectable show can get almost all the facts wrong.

Ruins the show.

However, apart from the mind aflicting mistakes in factual evidence, it was a very interesting episode.
              Last edited by corey123; 02-20-2010, 05:40 AM.
              Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Hi Corey

They make the mistake of saying that "Some Ripperologists think that Jack the Ripper may have been raped in childhood".???

Not one Ripperoligsts(me included) that I have spoken to has propesed this idea. Nor do I think it is the case. Anyhow, this is a non-fiction show so I need to stop being so much of a nag.

Surely this is a fiction tv programme - or at the very least semi fiction as although they get some of their ideas from real life they put there own spin on them on the show?

Also 'real life' BAU people would not operate the way the show does.

Also the story states that he could have been sexually abused by his mother not raped. But I do agree that they shredded the story with this idea they used. I'm sure a popular show like that could have forked out a little money for a person who knew what they were doing.

Tj

P.s Although while writing this I have just thought they needed that story line to make the killer a woman in present day.
                It's not about what you know....it's about what you can find out

Comment

hi tji,

Did I say it was Non-fiction? . I was tired.

Anways thanks.
                  Washington Irving:

Stratford-on-Avon

Comment

Working...
                  X