Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea Rose Trilogy by Jennifer Donnelly

This is my first post!

Soo . . . these books by Jennifer Donnelly are what got me interested in Jack the Ripper. They are not about him but about the people in the east end of London during that time. The way she writes about the people of Whitechapel really just drew me in and left me feeling like I knew them. Yeah, we can all say that we knew that the conditions were horrible and the streets dangerous . . . but reading her books is like stepping into that world and seeing if for yourself.

The Tea Rose

East London, 1888 - a city apart. A place of shadow and light where thieves, whores and dreamers mingle, where children play in the cobbled streets by day and a killer stalks at night. Where shining hopes meet the darkest truths.

Here, by the whispering waters of the Thames, a bright, defiant young woman dares to dream of a life beyond tumbledown wharves, gaslit alleys, and the grim and crumbling dwellings of the poor.

Fiona Finnegan, a worker in a tea factory, hopes to own a shop one day, together with her lifelong love, Joe Bristow, a costermonger's son. With nothing but their faith in each other to spur them on, Fiona and Joe struggle, save and sacrifice to achieve their dreams.

But Fiona's plans are shattered when the actions of a dark and brutal man force her to flee London for New York. There, her indomitable spirit – and the ghosts of her past – propel her rise from a modest West Side shop front to the top of Manhattan's tea trade.

Fiona's old ghosts do not rest quietly, however, and to silence them, she must venture back to the London of her childhood, where a deadly confrontation with her past becomes the key to her future.

The Tea Rose is a towering old-fashioned story, imbued with a modern sensibility, of a family's destruction, of murder and revenge, of love lost and won again, and of one determined woman's quest to survive and triumph.

Authentic and moving, The Tea Rose is an unforgettable novel – one certain to take its place beside such enduring epics as A Woman of Substance, The Thornbirds, and The Shell Seekers.

The Winter Rose

The Winter Rose, second book in The Tea Rose trilogy, reunites readers with the much-loved Finnegan family. Beginning where The Tea Rose ended, on the river Thames, the novel follows the story of Charlie Finnegan – now Sid Malone – and an intriguing new female character – India Selwyn Jones.

The year is 1900 and the dangerous streets of East London are no place for a wellbred woman. But India Selwyn Jones is headstrong: she has trained as one of a new breed, a woman doctor, and is determined to practice where the need is greatest.

It is on these grim streets where India meets – and saves the life of – London’s most notorious gangster, Sid Malone. Hard, violent, devastatingly attractive, Malone is the opposite of India’s cool, aristocratic fiancé, a rising star in the House of Commons. Though Malone represents all she despises, India finds herself unwillingly drawn ever closer to him – enticed by his charm, intrigued by his hidden, mysterious past.

The Winter Rose brings the beginning of the turbulent twentieth century vividly to life, drawing the reader into its wretched underworld, its privileged society, and the shadowland between the two, where the strict rules of the time blur into secret passions.

The third book is called Wild Rose and is expected to be published sometime between late 2010 and early 2011.

Actually, the books sound rather good. But come on, 'fess up now, are you in fact Jennifer "Adelaide" Donnelly?

Comment

Um nopes! My name is melissa, I recently turned 23 years old and am from Kentucky! Hi!

this is Jennifer Donelly's website.

http://www.jenniferdonnelly.com/

Comment

Then I sincerely apologize, Melissa. I shall seek out Jennifer's books. And welcome to the boards.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
          Then I sincerely apologize, Melissa. I shall seek out Jennifer's books. And welcome to the boards.
          Thank you very kindly.

I enjoyed them and thought I would recommend them here purely for their setting.

I'm making my best friend read them but they are pretty long and shes taking too much time to suit my liking. lol I was hoping maybe someone here had read them. Would love to have a discussion.

Comment

Hi Adelaide,

I had heard of these and meant to take a look at them, but totally forgot the author's name and the series title. Thanks for posting this. Got 'em down now!

Welcome to the site and enjoy yourself here.

Bestest,

Cel
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Working...
            X