Artizan Dwellings writing photograph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil H View Post
    In all seriousness though...ain't it a pity that the GSG was not photographed...

If it had been, there is a good chance the plates would not have survived.

But I don't think it is a pity. What use would a photograph have been? Just more fuel for pointless discussion.

Notwithstanding hundreds if not thousands of posts on here, no one has shown the slightest convincing proof that the GSG is linked to the murderer or the murders. It was simply neaby the discarded apron-piece.

Full stop, end of story.

Phil H
    What use would a photograph have been?
    Hmm. Lets see. Perhaps to compare to the handwriting of suspects and other writings? Good grief.
    "Is all that we see or seem
    but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
    quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Rob - the onus is on those who want to use the GSG in the case to demonstrate its relevance. Until then it remains nothing but an extraneous - perhaps interesting - irrelevance.

Not usual for you to engage in wooly thinking - but I'm afraid in this case I'm impressed by your response to my post.

Phil H

Comment

Perhaps to compare to the handwriting of suspects and other writings? Good grief.

Are you seriously suggesting that you can compare chalk writing on a tile surface with someone's usual handwriting - written using a nib and ink? Get real.

I couldn't have done it with my schoolmasters in the days of chalkboards and fountain pens and i saw their writing every day.

We really appear to churning up some dud thinking in this thread. but that's what happens I guess when you snatch at cobwebs.

Phil H

Comment

But you can compare the writing...the way the sentences are constructed....the vernacular..if any ..used?

Comment

The GSG hardly constitutes a sentence.

The writer perhaps never left a single scrap of other writing. What do you do - line up all the bits of writing from East Enders we have to see what we think? Or just extant extracts from the work of potential suspects.

Please produce anything we have written by Kosminski?

An approach such as you suggest is neither forensically sound nor legally viable.

Any result would be utterly subjective.

Honestly, you'd get more mature judgement from a kindergarten class!

Phil H

Comment

However Phil,

We now have a contemporary piece of wall writing which was photographed by the City of London Police force.

For some reason they felt the need to photograph it. Why?

Its not the writing, the words, the style, its why was it photographed.

If you are thinking this thread was set up to argue its validity, to support the Goulston street writing, then you are mistaken.

It was set up to explore this find and try and understand why the CoLP thought it important enough to photograph it.

I'm afraid your opinion on the writing itself is unimportant, as is mine. The Police obviously felt they had good reason to call a photographer out.

And we dont have this with any other piece of wall writing at this current moment.

Monty
              Last edited by Monty; 09-27-2012, 05:40 PM.
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Rob - the onus is on those who want to use the GSG in the case to demonstrate its relevance. Until then it remains nothing but an extraneous - perhaps interesting - irrelevance.

Not usual for you to engage in wooly thinking - but I'm afraid in this case I'm impressed by your response to my post.

Phil H
                That's rubbish the police believed it relevant to the investigation and that's good enough for me. I've studied the location, the layout of the building and am satisfied that jack wrote it. Now I can't prove it and until we find out who wrote it nobody can disprove he wrote it.

Wooly thinking? Not really.

Rob

Comment

Phil H.,

Are you seriously suggesting that you can compare chalk writing on a tile surface with someone's usual handwriting - written using a nib and ink? Get real.

I would tend to agree with you about the uselessness of the graffito in comparison wirh any Ripper letters, but I feel impelled to post a news item I came across from the New Canaan Advertiser of October 10, 1912: The Smith Ridge school was entered Saturday and the schoolroom shamefully damaged, the walls written on with chalk and the desks rifled. The wall writing was compared with copy books and one young boy came under suspicion. When questioned he confessed and implicated another youngster. They await punishment.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Don (if I may)

I heard from a teacher a couple of years ago, that a school was broken into one night and graffiti sprayed all over walls and furniture. They got the culprits because the idiots had used their "tags" and thus identified themselves.

I wonder how much the 1912 incident had to do with intuition among those who knew the pupils, as much as the style of writing.

So far as the usefulness of the GSG is concerned, I was responding to a remark that it was a pity it was not photographed.

The rest of you maybe lemmings, but I'll pause before I leap thank you. I reasser that, whatever the thinking of those on the ground in 188whatever, I see no point in photographing the writing. Taking an accurate account of ther wording - maybe. Also the police at the time had the hope that other similar graffiti might appear at or near murder scenes, or of finding examples of handwriting suitable for comparison. We can do neither.

Rob - your thinking IS woolly - like a woolly mammoth in fact, it's so obvious.

Phil H

Comment

Phil,

I don't know the background to that 1912 investigation, but because I just came across it for a newspaper column I write I thought it should be mentioned. The town's police chief then (and for the next 40 years), Otto Schmidt, was a keen detective as proved by countless cases, so he may have had a hand.

As it is, I fervently wish they had photographed the GSG simply because it would have meant modern students would have one less act of omission about which to grouse and speculate.

Don.
                      "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

modern students would have one less act of omission about which to grouse and speculate.

No. In my weary experience just something to deny.

To my dismay I have seen newly discovered and fascinating period photographs rubbished by those for whom the image did not fit their preconceived views and theories. If a pic of the GSG emerged tomorrow - the same thing would happen.

I must be getting cynical... hey ho.

phil H

Comment

Yes Phil,

You see no point, however....

Monty
                          Monty

Comment

However... what, Monty?

Comment

Rob - your thinking IS woolly - like a woolly mammoth in fact, it's so obvious.

Phil H
                              You really haven't got a clue what I am thinking.

Comment

However... what, Monty?
                                The City of London Police of that period disagreed.

Monty
                                Monty

Comment

Working...
                                X