Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why was No. 26 empty?

Or was it.

It seems, to me that it was originally built as a shop, surely there was some rent to be made, either as a shop, or just by chucking another bed in there.

Or did McCarthy use it to store goods for his shop, personally with experience delivering to similar establishments here in he 50s and 60s I'd have though this stock would have all Ben on he shelves.

Any thoughts.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

I always thought #26 was the shed, a free shelter for the homeless, but that shortly before the murder McCarthy had converted it to a storage room for people to keep their carts in, and keeping it locked for that reason.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
      It seems, to me that it was originally built as a shop
      I'm not sure that many "shops" in the slums started out as purpose-built retail outlets. Many of those we read about in the case seem to have been residential premises "repurposed" to sell goods of one form or another.
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

On the thread started about McCarthy's properties, one of the contributers posted a source stating that McCarthy was involved in the sale of second hand clothes (which was complete news to me). I wonder if it's possible it was used to store those until they could be sold on?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          I'm not sure that many "shops" in the slums started out as purpose-built retail outlets. Many of those we read about in the case seem to have been residential premises "repurposed" to sell goods of one form or another.
          I understand that Sam, but some must have been, and this looks like one that MAY have been, but equally I could be wrong.
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            In the book The Worst Street in London, the writer talks about those house being old huguenot houses of an older architecture, who had an inner yard that were transformed to fit lodgers. So probably a lot of what was inside Miller's court was built, rapidly and cheaply over the course of decades to answer the increase of demands. Partitions were added, shed-like rooms were built.

Not sure I answer your question, but hope the reference helps you in the right direction.
            Is it progress when a cannibal uses a fork?
            - Stanislaw Jerzy Lee

Comment

Working...
            X