A New Landmark For Aldgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A New Landmark For Aldgate

Proposals have recently been published for a "temporary landmark" in Aldgate to mark the 250th anniversary of the destruction of the original City gates.

Which ever proposal is chosen, would stand on the triangular traffic island across from St. Botolph's church on one side and the Sir John Cass School (and Mitre Square) on the other.

Details can be viewed at http://www.architecturefoundation.or...gate-shortlist

All the best
    Andrew

There is a display of all the various proposals inside St. Botolph's church at the minute (or at least there was last weekend). I have to admit that at the time I thought they ranged from the uninspiring to the plain odd (and probably completely un-buildable - ie the 'BT tower made of flowers' style one), and looking at them again on that link doesn't do a great deal to win me over. 'The Listening Posts', in my opinion, is probably the best of the lot, but to my mind at least it also looks a little too similar to the London Bombings memorial in Hyde Park.

Still, I think it's a good idea and let's face it no-one liked the 'Gherkin' at first and now it's pretty much accepted. Plus it's only going to be temporary - but then again so was the London Eye and, for that matter, the Eiffel Tower, originally. It will certainly be interesting.

Comment

Working...
    X