No announcement yet.

Jack the Ripper Tech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There were no electronic calculators in 1888 but there were mechanical adding machines on the market.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• I don't know how afforadable they were to the average citizen.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
        Before that, something like an appendicitis was often a death sentence.
        When my son couldn't fit through the birth canal, not even with forceps, I had a c-section. Without it, which is to say, the solution up until about 1905, was to wait for the baby to die, then remove it piece by piece. You had to hope the experience didn't give the mother a stroke, seizure or organ failure. Mothers who survived waiting for the fetus to die then sometimes ended up being nicked with the knife, and died of sepsis a few weeks later.

My son will be nine next month.

I've got a friend who had the same problem, and had four children by c-section.

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
          When my son couldn't fit through the birth canal, not even with forceps, I had a c-section. Without it, which is to say, the solution up until about 1905, was to wait for the baby to die, then remove it piece by piece. You had to hope the experience didn't give the mother a stroke, seizure or organ failure. Mothers who survived waiting for the fetus to die then sometimes ended up being nicked with the knife, and died of sepsis a few weeks later.

My son will be nine next month.

I've got a friend who had the same problem, and had four children by c-section.
          That must have been incredibly frightening and sad for mothers back then.

Btw, my second granddaughter and my fifth grandchild was born 3 weeks ago today by c-section. She was 10 pounds 9 ounces so another little Ripperologist coming up for the rest of this century and the first part of the next.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
            That must have been incredibly frightening and sad for mothers back then.

Btw, my second granddaughter and my fifth grandchild was born 3 weeks ago today by c-section. She was 10 pounds 9 ounces so another little Ripperologist coming up for the rest of this century and the first part of the next.
            Congratulations Stan a bouncy big girl by the sounds of it.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• And the way medicine is going she will probably make it into the middle of next century.
              G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                Congratulations Stan a bouncy big girl by the sounds of it.
                Thanks GUT and yes.

Stan Reid

Comment

• A friend of mine just survived an emergency c-section while in early labor (this is what a PROM baby is, BTW-- it means "premature rupture of membranes" and has nothing to do with high school dances), and an infection due to a blood clot (not a doctor's error, in other words); she's fine, the baby is fine, but she needed surfectant for a couple of days, and she is getting a preemie supplement along with breastfeeding.

My son was actually fine, but they took precautions with him, because he had to have his breathing started, and could have aspirated meconium. That's a major cause of newborn pneumonia. He was in an isolette for 12 hours, and had a shot of antibiotics. He didn't get pneumonia. But that's three different ways he probably would have died if he'd been born just 100 years earlier.

Incidentally, I think home births are nuts.

Comment

• Originally posted by RivkahChaya View Post
                    A friend of mine just survived an emergency c-section while in early labor (this is what a PROM baby is, BTW-- it means "premature rupture of membranes" and has nothing to do with high school dances), and an infection due to a blood clot (not a doctor's error, in other words); she's fine, the baby is fine, but she needed surfectant for a couple of days, and she is getting a preemie supplement along with breastfeeding.

My son was actually fine, but they took precautions with him, because he had to have his breathing started, and could have aspirated meconium. That's a major cause of newborn pneumonia. He was in an isolette for 12 hours, and had a shot of antibiotics. He didn't get pneumonia. But that's three different ways he probably would have died if he'd been born just 100 years earlier.

Incidentally, I think home births are nuts.
                    Great that they are all fine.
                    G U T

Comment

• There was no actual radio in 1888 but there was some experimenting with a sort of cable radio. That is, there were some tests involving the sending of news and entertainment via telephone. Although it worked in a limited way, needless to say, the medium never caught on.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Hertz was still playing with radio waves and totally missing their practical importance. He just thought it was an interesting phenomena that couldn't lead to anything useful.
                        I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

• Ediswan lamps were developed electrical lamps were produced, a joint project between Swan and Edison in 1887. Pity there weren't some in the alleys of Whitechapel! Dunlop invented pneumatic tyres in 1888, and Tesla constructed an electric motor. In 1889 it was proven (by Von Mehring and Minkowski) that the pancreas secretes insulin, so they were at least on the road to understanding diabetes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosella View Post
                            Ediswan lamps were developed electrical lamps were produced, a joint project between Swan and Edison in 1887. Pity there weren't some in the alleys of Whitechapel!
                            The Ediswan lamp was completely unreliable and gave off little light for open street locations, they were designed more for indoor use. Even if all of Whitechapel had been festooned with them, they most likely would have had little effect.
                            Also, it wasn't a joint venture- Edison & Swan were a single company after Edison failed to crush Swan with patient infringement lawsuits.
                            I’m often irrelevant. It confuses people.

Comment

Working...
                            X