Walter Sickert-A Life, Matthew Sturgis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walter Sickert-A Life, Matthew Sturgis

Not sure if anyone has ever posted regarding this particular work, but I must say, I am hooked, and it's fascinating.
    After reading the review online, and seeing that Sturgis tackles the "Sickert as Ripper" theory, I decided I wanted this book. Luckily, Susan ordered me a copy from Amazon, for a fiver, and I am hooked!

Although I have not started on the main body of the book, I have skipped to the Jack the Ripper heavy postscript.

The postscript is the area that most ripperologists will be interested in, and features the theories that have been presented over the years, tackling, Melvin Fairclough, Stephen Knight, Jen Overton Fuller, Gormon, and of course our beloved Patricia (I just made a million while you was typing my name) Cornwell. He demolishes all the theories, presenting a fully sourced, well written argument.

A great read!

Walter Sickert-A Life,
    Matthew Sturgis,
    Harper Perennial,
    Paperback,
    RRP, £12.99
    Regards Mike

Cheers Mike

Well recommended.

Pirate

Comment

It is a truly brilliant book. One of the best biographies I have ever read about anyone

thats saying something
      “be just and fear not”

Comment

Might get this actually, so thanks. Always struck me as an interesting character
        Mostfoul

Comment

This is a long book but I must say I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a well-told story of an interesting life. I don't see how anybody could read this and still believe that Sickert was JtR. Too bad Patricia didn't get to see it before she wasted a lot of our time and money.

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
            This is a long book but I must say I enjoyed every minute of it. It's a well-told story of an interesting life. I don't see how anybody could read this and still believe that Sickert was JtR. Too bad Patricia didn't get to see it before she wasted a lot of our time and money.
            No, Maurice - it was HER time and HER money she wasted. She may just as well have picked W E Gladstone as her Ripper suspect - it didn't matter a toss to her so long as her crap book sold.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              ...it was HER time and HER money she wasted.
              I don't follow your thinking, Graham. The way I see it, Cornwell is up a large chunk of cash, and the rest of us are down the price of the book and the time it took to read it.

Comment

Working...
              X