Fake reviews on-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fake reviews on-line

This seems a rather despicable, but all too common, bit of self-promotion.

Fake book reviews are rife on the internet and readers should be aware of the "fraudulent" practices of some writers, a group of leading British authors warn tonight.

I really enjoyed the miscreant author's excuse "a lapse in judgment" as rather typical of the modern era -- nobody sins, they just make a "mistake" (emphasis on the singular, of course, no matter how often they do it).

Don.
    "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

long live old speak

Hello Don. Glad to see that you are not infected with "new speak."

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

Presumably some care must be exercised, e.g. would this be convincing? :

"Jane Eyre? Great stuff.

Charlie Dickens."

That review would be about 10 000 words too short.

Comment

As an author myself, I have to say, this case really shocked me. Truly. I don't know how the culprit has the nerve to appear in public ever again. Millions know what he has done. And for what? Vanity or greed?

Helena
        Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Helena:

"for what? Vanity or greed?"

Must we choose ...?

The best,
          Fisherman

Comment

Originally posted by Fisherman View Post
            Helena:

"for what? Vanity or greed?"

Must we choose ...?

The best,
            Fisherman

Ha! yeah, got me there. But it could be one or t'other. Did he do it to increase sales, or to get the star ratings up?

I bet thousands do it. He just got caught. Hey, what if I'm the only mug on Amazon with no fake reviews!

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Helena,

Hey, what if I'm the only mug on Amazon with no fake reviews!

Nope, I don't do it either. But I know from experience it is pretty much the norm.

Don.
              "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

If you really want to see some spectacular fake reviews, look up How to Avoid Huge Ships.
                The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by Errata View Post
                  If you really want to see some spectacular fake reviews, look up How to Avoid Huge Ships.
                  Very funny!

Comment

Don:

"I know from experience it is pretty much the norm."

Please tell me youīre kidding ...? Sounds too pathetic to be true.

The best,
                    Fisherman

Comment

Christer,

"I know from experience it is pretty much the norm."

OK, maybe norm was too strong, but certainly prevalent -- and close to the norm among those who self-publish. And no, I have not checked every book against reviews but base my opinion on those authors I know. Indeed, I have just recently seen several authors flogging their books with the line "Write a review on Amazon" knowing full well anyone thus solicited is not going to say "An utter waste of wood pulp."

But then anyone who puts any faith in Amazon, or other on-line, reviews is likely a believer in Nigerian legacies.

Don.

Comment

Thatīs just so sad, Don. Thanks anyway for telling me something I didnīt want to know, if you take my meaning..!

The best,
                        Fisherman

Comment

Sadly, it's becoming the norm. There are dozens of writers in facebook groups who spend all their time 'swapping reviews', many of them with identical wording. The problem is, that there are an equal number of incensed readers in fracebook groups who hunt down anyone who looks a bit shifty and leaves a 1 star review (again, usually identically worded).

One of my own books (and one I happen to think is reasonably good) had two (genuine) 5-star reviews. It now also has a 1 star review.

Personally, I don't really care. I write the damn things for people to read, not for people to write about.

Comment

Originally posted by JDow View Post
                            Sadly, it's becoming the norm. There are dozens of writers in facebook groups who spend all their time 'swapping reviews',
                            Hi guys

I was invited by a member of a Yahoo group to which I belong to do a 5 star review swap. I declined, not only because of the moral dimension, but because she only wanted me to write an excellent review, not a critical one. I'd have felt just as much a fraud leaving her book a review it didn't deserve as I would receiving one.

But the trouble now is, IF it's the norm, those of us who aren't doing it look like we are producing bad books!

I hope I get lots of fake good reviews of my Chapman book

Comment

I've only put two reviews up on books in the past, and both times I knew the authors. But I gave my true feelings about the books, and it never even occured to me to put up negative reviews on "competing" books. How sad that these fake reviews happen. Once again, the "goodness" of mankind proves itself a myth.
                              Bond. Greg Bond

Comment

Working...
                              X