From Hell, A Graphic Novel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
    I guess the ancient races had a higher knowledge when it came ot creating temples, shrines and phallic objects. Perhaps as a symbol of their building prowess, or as their pre-occupation with the male anatomy.

I shall consult "Chariots of the Gods" later...

Mind you ever though of the female side?.....everything gets swampt with males prowess pasted everywhere, like bunny girls for instance!.........But getting back to it, if those buildings had a cellar inside, given the first entry the first words would be ' It's dark in here '........Still there are different descriptions of cellars, cold damp and musty with fungus....Doesn't bear thinking about does it especially the ones with spiders spinning webs, those sorts of building belong to churches i'm sure, but i vote the fungus as Flower & Dean Street. Still i think ' septic can be rendered for both sides....U know ' turnip ' etc.

Sorry, just had to have my mad 2 minutes!

Still back on track, will they be making a film from this novel, soon? I can't say i have read it but i did watch the film from hell and as regarding the filming of said JTR's victims and some atmospheric Victorian scenery...and ere....Buildings, it was by far the best on film to date.
    Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shelley
      Still back on track, will they be making a film from this novel, soon? I can't say i have read it but i did watch the film from hell and as regarding the filming of said JTR's victims and some atmospheric Victorian scenery...and ere....Buildings, it was by far the best on film to date.
      The film From Hell was an adaptation of the graphic novel. Disney were first involved in getting it adapted, and the change of focus from the Ripper to a standard whodunnit originates with them. To be honest, it seems like a remake of the Michael Caine tv mini-series to me, which I prefer. That said, FH has bags of atmosphere and is really well shot and the set design is wonderfully accurate to the period.
      " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Aleric

Hi Aleric,
        Yes, i wondered if the film from Hell was from the novel or the novel after the film, but i did catch so it seemed that there might be another film being made.
        I hope so, it would be interesting to watch...

Comment

Ahh, so you meant "are they making another film..". Gotcha! Sorry.

I think the novel is pretty unfilmable in regards to a cinematic release. It would be much better off adapted as a 12 part mini-series, preferably in my opinion by HBO and the BBC. They'd have more room to work with all the plot threads and actually bring the graphic novel to life.
          " Queen Vic lured her victims into dark corners with offers of free fish and chips, washed down with White Satin." - forum user C4

Comment

Still, it would be good as a mini-series as you say and more of an update than Michael Caine playing Abberline, i remember watching that as a teenager, i enjoyed it throughly and Michael Caine was my most favourite actor when i was 16 yrs old.

Comment

From Hell

Originally posted by Aelric View Post
              Ahh, so you meant "are they making another film..". Gotcha! Sorry.

I think the novel is pretty unfilmable in regards to a cinematic release. It would be much better off adapted as a 12 part mini-series, preferably in my opinion by HBO and the BBC. They'd have more room to work with all the plot threads and actually bring the graphic novel to life.
              Hi there,

Talking of From Hell, in the novel, in the appendixes, Moore describes how in the book London under London there is discussion of a freemason's temple under Piccadilly, a freemason's court room to be exact, but I cannot find it in the latest edition. I have already found a few hidden temples at Piccadilly. And I have found some more evidence on the web, but I am looking for more info and prefferably some literature. Can any of you guys help me?

Have a look at the 'Mason's Temples Under Piccadilly' thread in 'General Discussion'

Thanks,
              A struggling writer

Comment

From Hell as the graphic novel makes the otherwise ludicrous Royal Conspiracy viable by presenting the how and why things might have happened that way by showing Gull's development of an internally consistent but otherwise abnormal and abhorrent view on time and the world. I think that is quite an achievement. I love how Moore manages to make a whole out of the gritty reality of the epoch and the surrounding and underlying culture. It is really a gem.
                "The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice." - Quellcrist Falconer
                "Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem" - Johannes Clauberg

Comment

Originally posted by JSchmidt View Post
                  From Hell as the graphic novel makes the otherwise ludicrous Royal Conspiracy viable by presenting the how and why things might have happened that way by showing Gull's development of an internally consistent but otherwise abnormal and abhorrent view on time and the world. I think that is quite an achievement. I love how Moore manages to make a whole out of the gritty reality of the epoch and the surrounding and underlying culture. It is really a gem.
                  Ah, well you know nothing like a bit of the Royal Conspiracy to hit the movies, it was a bit like that i'll bet with the ordinary folk in Whitechapel, but on the scale of pub talk and street gossip....Maybe that was it's humble beginnings.

I mean if you were to portray a shabbily dressed sailor, or a madman from the back streets of the east-end going into a mental asylum, with a fungus ridden Flower & Dean Street full of drunken fallen duckies with a shiner to show off....Ooo, Yuck.. it doesn't exactly feel like a thrilling leg jerking hollywood blockbuster does it?

Comment

Slightly off-topic maybe - but William Blake has an exhibition on at the moment in the Tate Britain. Blake is of course mentioned and held in high esteem by Sir William Gull in From Hell.

The show is a close reproduction of Blakes original show 200 years ago featuring the same exact pieces.

Comment

What slanderous rubbish. Gull was old stroke victim. I am not a fan or something, but it is so easy to accuse, without any kind of evidence, people who are conveniently dead...
                      Me?
                      For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by Christine1932 View Post
                        What slanderous rubbish. Gull was old stroke victim. I am not a fan or something, but it is so easy to accuse, without any kind of evidence, people who are conveniently dead...
                        And that's why it's fiction -- admitted fiction, unlike Knight's theory which was at least part of the inspiration. I seriously doubt that From Hell is the only fictional undertaking ever done that "accuse[es], without any kind of evidence, people who are conveniently dead" -- it can't have been the first (I'm not even sure Shakespeare got there first), and it will not be the last. Goodness knows there's plenty of that to be found on the true crime shelves, just under Jack the Ripper, the Black Dahlia, and Lizzie Borden alone.

There's much worse to be found on fiction shelves. It's fiction, and very enjoyable fiction. If some 12 year old reads it who can't tell the difference, I really only would want to know what the hell their parents were doing letting them read From Hell in the first place! (Although it could be worse, as they could be letting the kid read Preacher or that Twilight crap.)
                        ~ Khanada

I laugh in the face of danger. Then I run and hide until it goes away.

Comment

Originally posted by Khanada View Post
                          And that's why it's fiction -- admitted fiction, unlike Knight's theory which was at least part of the inspiration. I seriously doubt that From Hell is the only fictional undertaking ever done that "accuse[es], without any kind of evidence, people who are conveniently dead" -- it can't have been the first (I'm not even sure Shakespeare got there first), and it will not be the last. Goodness knows there's plenty of that to be found on the true crime shelves, just under Jack the Ripper, the Black Dahlia, and Lizzie Borden alone.

There's much worse to be found on fiction shelves. It's fiction, and very enjoyable fiction. If some 12 year old reads it who can't tell the difference, I really only would want to know what the hell their parents were doing letting them read From Hell in the first place! (Although it could be worse, as they could be letting the kid read Preacher or that Twilight crap.)
                          Sorry, we must agree to disagree. I see From Hell´s plot as spineless, slanderous garbage, using real people in their "fiction".
                          Me?
                          For the memory of my sweet, ambereyed and animal-loving mother (1932-2007). Be happy in Heaven.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand this. If you have a problem with a dead man being named as a killer in a book that labels itself as 'historical fiction', then what do you make of the countless JTR books which name dead men as the killer, and present them as 'non-fiction'? Not to mention the many posts on forums like this which point the finger at dead men as the culprit.

Surely anyone who names someone as JTR is, by definition, accusing, without evidence, a dead man of murder. Your position, with respect, seems a strange one to hold on a JTR forum, of all places.

Personally, I thought it was a great read. Intelligent, shocking and compelling. I especially liked the little touches throughout, such as known witnesses being introduced alongside the fiction, and thus adding a different dimension to them and putting their statements in a completely new context. And Gull's tour of London's Masonic sites with Netley, when he outlines his philosopical justification for his crimes, was absorbing. It's rare to see a JTR story told primarily from the view of the Ripper.
                            Last edited by Radical Joe; 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radical Joe View Post
                              I'm not sure I understand this. If you have a problem with a dead man being named as a killer in a book that labels itself as 'historical fiction', then what do you make of the countless JTR books which name dead men as the killer, and present them as 'non-fiction'? Not to mention the many posts on forums like this which point the finger at dead men as the culprit.

Surely anyone who names someone as JTR is, by definition, accusing, without evidence, a dead man of murder. Your position, with respect, seems a strange one to hold on a JTR forum, of all places.

Personally, I thought it was a great read. Intelligent, shocking and compelling. I especially liked the little touches throughout, such as known witnesses being introduced alongside the fiction, and thus adding a different dimension to them and putting their statements in a completely new context. And Gull's tour of London's Masonic sites with Netley, when he outlines his philosopical justification for his crimes, was absorbing. It's rare to see a JTR story told primarily f
                              Yes, perhaps I am in wrong place - I have not suspect myself and I believe most Ripper suspects, like Queen Victoria´s doctor Gull, are accused for mere spite - "I loathe this person and now call him as Ripper". I even once wrote a short story about a Ripperologist who wrote slanderous Freudian filth about some Victorian schizophrenic and then used time machine to do Ripper murders!
                              Hm, perhaps I should revisite the story, but I can´t write fiction.
                              Me?

Comment

Yes, perhaps I am in wrong place - I have not suspect myself and I believe most Ripper suspects, like Queen Victoria´s doctor Gull, are accused for mere spite - "I loathe this person and now call him as Ripper". I even once wrote a short story about a Ripperologist who wrote slanderous Freudian filth about some Victorian schizophrenic and then used time machine to do Ripper murders!
                                Hm, perhaps I should revisite the story, but I can´t write fiction.
                                That's fine. I wasn't having a pop at all, I just found it 'odd' to see your view on a forum where most folk can't wait to stick the knife in to someone (so to speak). I don't have a suspect either, and keep an open mind as to the possibilities. As for you saying that certain people are named for reasons other than the actual likelyhood of them being the Ripper, I agree, I also get the feeling that some people are named out of class or racial bias (whether knowingly or not).

I like the sound of your short story too! Perhaps you should take a gander at the screenplay I offered on a thread on General Discussion - it's not that different in some respects (the Ripperologists get taken out in my version though!).
                                Last edited by Radical Joe; 10-06-2009, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X