Why Was Ostrog Ever Considered?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Was Ostrog Ever Considered?

OK, so modern research indicates that Michael Ostrog is not likely as a Ripper suspect. I'll buy that. But why then is he mentioned in the MacNaughton mem.? as MORE likely than Thomas Cutbush? It seems that at some point he WAS at least considered as a suspect- WHY? Any ideas?

(And do we have his DOD yet?)

Well, Macnaghten described him as a violent, misogynistic maniac who carried around surgical knives, but historically it appears he was nothing more than a petty thief and conman. More than likely Macnaghten had been fed misinformation about this particular suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry D View Post
      Well, Macnaghten described him as a violent, misogynistic maniac who carried around surgical knives, but historically it appears he was nothing more than a petty thief and conman. More than likely Macnaghten had been fed misinformation about this particular suspect.
      Or was confused as he was with some facts about Druitt.
      G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

A chap who stole a silver cup from Eton would be capable of committing any outrage.

Comment

Well the other two mentioned in the MM were Druitt, suspected on nothing more than rumors and innuendo, and Kosinski, who we have no idea how he even cam to the attention of police. So it's no surprise that he had Ostrog on there too-probably just more rumor and misinformation.
          "Is all that we see or seem
          but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
          quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Kosminski fell foul of the dog laws. Then he must be guilty of the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by MysterySinger View Post
              Kosminski fell foul of the dog laws. Then he must be guilty of the murders.
              that's funny, but thinking about it-what if something somehow came out in that that lead the police to him?

or maybe the dog trial was just another headache for his family that helped them on their way to notifying the police?

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

You think that the dog episode gave the police a lead? Perhaps....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                  A chap who stole a silver cup from Eton would be capable of committing any outrage.
                  LOL!

and Druitt got sacked from work-the horror!

-Edgar Allan Poe

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

You think that the dog episode gave the police a lead? Perhaps....
                    Well it certainly gave them paws.

c.d.

Comment

What a total bounder!
                      Last edited by John G; 08-09-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

My initial answer to the question in the title of the thread was going to be 'f**k knows!' But on reflection my answer would now be.....the same! It's a mystery. If I recall correctly Ostrog wasn't even in the country at the time of the murders. It does appear that his name was just chosen at random to flesh out the memorandum. We would all love to know how he arrived at the 3 names. Books have been written about Druitt and Kosminski as candidates. Has anyone ever written a book on Ostrog proposing him as Jack?

Anyone fancy the job?

Cowards

Me? Err I'm a little busy right now. Sorry, got to go, bye

Comment

can anyone swag when these men may have become suspects? i get that Druitt came under suspicion after his suicide. won't attempt kosminski. casebook claims Ostrog may have come under suspicion after the double event. possible that his suspicion was connected to a particular murder?
                          there,s nothing new, only the unexplored

Comment

Working...
                          X