Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bethnal Green Police Station Officers Photograph.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bethnal Green Police Station Officers Photograph.

Do any group photographs exist of the officers of Bethnal Green Police station, from the Ripper period?

Have contacted the J Division museum about this and can confirm that they have no pictures group or otherwise of officers at Bethnal Green police station, during this period.

Which I think is very sad!!

Comment

This purports to be Bethnal Green Police station circa 1905? Isn’t this the building?

Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

sorry SC. I didn’t read your post correctly. You are looking for a group photo.
        Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
          sorry SC. I didn’t read your post correctly. You are looking for a group photo.
          It's a real shame, if they did take any photos and I'm sure they must have they have long since been lost to antiquity .

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
            It's a real shame, if they did take any photos and I'm sure they must have they have long since been lost to antiquity .
            It’s difficult to avoid the thought that ‘somewhere in an old box in a dusty attic....)

What gems lie hidden? It still surprises me that we haven’t got a proven photograph of Abberline.
            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It’s difficult to avoid the thought that ‘somewhere in an old box in a dusty attic....)

What gems lie hidden? It still surprises me that we haven’t got a proven photograph of Abberline.

We can but hope!! Medals to officers with a direct connection to the case have turned up, so I'm sure there's more stuff out there somewhere. Like all the looted police documents for instance!!!!

I must admit that the lack of a photograph of Abberline is a curious one!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The Station Cat View Post
                We can but hope!! Medals to officers with a direct connection to the case have turned up, so I'm sure there's more stuff out there somewhere. Like all the looted police documents for instance!!!!

I must admit that the lack of a photograph of Abberline is a curious one!!!
                It is. You would have thought, for example, that when he retired to Bournemouth he might have become quite a prominent citizen. Local societies, committees etc. Surely the local papers would have wanted a feature on ‘the Man Who hunted the ripper) with a photograph?
                Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

It is. You would have thought, for example, that when he retired to Bournemouth he might have become quite a prominent citizen. Local societies, committees etc. Surely the local papers would have wanted a feature on ‘the Man Who hunted the ripper) with a photograph?

Agreed, I would argue that he was bordering on being selfish not allowing his picture to be taken .

Comment

Given the popularity of photography in the nineteenth century going into the twentieth, it's certain that Abberline's photograph would have been taken, either as a single portrait or in a group shot. As we know, a photograph of Joseph Lawende was not known for some years, but at least two have since turned up. Let's not lose hope!
                    Christopher T. George
                    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

>It’s difficult to avoid the thought that ‘somewhere in an old box in a dusty attic....)<<

Not in my attic!

Apparently. Abberline's descendants have said a photograph does exist, but it's whereabouts is unknown.
                      dustymiller
                      aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                      X