Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1887 Case

This is referred to in the Suspects sections as follows:
    1887: Arrested for theft of a metal tankard in July. Sentenced to six months hard labor in September 1887. Listed as suffering from "mania" on September 30th, 1887.

Here is the account of the trial:
    961. CLAUDE CAYTON (39) , Stealing a metal tankard, the property of George Bigge. The prisoner did not speak when called upon to plead, and the COURT ordered a plea of NOT GUILTY to be entered for him.

MR. CARTER Prosecuted.

GEORGE BIGGE . In July I was a cadet at the Royal Military Academy, Woolwich—on 19th July I had sprained my ankle, and was lying on my bed about four p.m., when the prisoner came in and went to the mantelpiece, took this metal tankard, put it in his bag, and went out—I followed him and knocked him down—he left his bag and hat and went across the common—he had on India-rubber tennis shoes—he could not see me as my bed was behind the door—I did not know him before; he had nothing to do with the barracks.

JOHN FRANCIS FISHER . On 19th July I was a cadet at Woolwich—I saw the prisoner come down the steps of Mr. Bigge's house—Mr. Bigge pursued him and knocked him down, but was unable to pursue him on account of his ankle—I caught him—he said "Don't give me up to the police," but I did so.

FRANCIS MULVEY (Policeman R 209). On 19th July, about five p.m., I was on duty on Woolwich Common and saw the prisoner run across and some cadets going after him—I took up the chase, and after running about a mile I met him and some of the cadets coming back—I took him in custody—he said "I know I have made a mistake; I am a gentleman; don't press the charge on account of my family, not on account of myself"—he had cricketing shoes—he was quite sane then, but now he is putting it on—I found on him a silver watch, a brass chain, a pipe and case, two match boxes, and this eyeglass.

DR. HERBERT HILLIER . I was called to see the prisoner at the police-station—he showed no signs of insanity then—I saw him again a week afterwards and he was behaving the same as he is now—he is merely shamming.

(The prisoner when called upon for his defence did not speak.) GUILTY .—He was further charged with a conviction of felony at Aylesbury in January, 1874, when he was sentenced to Ten Years' Penal Servitude, to which he made no answer , and the charge was not proceeded with.— Six Months' Hard Labour.

(There was another indictment against the prisoner for attempting to commit suicide.)
Working...
X