Pall Mall Gazette sketch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adam Osbourne

I posted earlier that the sketch of the Hanbury St back yard may have been done from 31 Hanbury St.

On the morning of the murder it was a resident of 31 Hanbury St, Adam Osbourne, who woke his fellow tenants to inform them of the murder. He spoke to a reporter about seeing the corpse from over his fence.

Comment

Regarding the ripper's MO, I've read it was common for prostitutes to demand anal sex so as to avoid pregnancy, and this would of course give the killer the perfect position and opportunity to strangle/suffocate his victim while she was helpless holding up her skirts with her back to him. Sex from behind is in any case easier when standing, as would be the case in such casual outdoor encounters

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
        Hello

This is how Dr Phillips described the blood on the fence :

"On the back wall of the house, between the steps and the palings, on the left side, about 18in from the ground, there were about six patches of blood, varying in size from a sixpenny piece to a small point, and on the wooden fence there were smears of blood, corresponding to where the head of the deceased laid, and immediately above the part where the blood had mainly flowed from the neck, which was well clotted."

It is a very similar picture to the Kelly crime scene, arterial spray on the wall and head turned away facing the other side.
        Later in the inquest when Philips is asked if there had been any sign of a struggle Philips replies something like:

"No but you will not forget the smears on the fence."

So it seems we will never know the truth. There was also describes as small spots of blood on the brick wall itself between the stairs and fence. I havent a clue of how those got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
          Hi Stewart,

Thank you for the illustration from "The Million".

The journalist involved obviously had a classical bent.

Have you any ideas on the "queer little meeting-house"?

Could it have something to do with Mrs Richardson's [possibly Millenarist] religious meetings?

Regards,

Simon
          The description dont make any sense. Unless he is talking about the stairway inside the building. The landing is right across from the door that leads to the backroom behind the catsmeat shop. Thats where I understand the meetings were held.

The rickety handrail is strange too. I havent seen it in any sketch. Unless he means the handrail on the inside stairs again.

Comment

Hello, everyone. Interesting thread; I especially like seeing the different contemporary (1888) illustrations of 29 Hanbury.

**But can someone please tell me what "THE MILLION" is?

Is it a book or an article by a journalist?? Googling it was quite hopeless. Is there anyplace I can view more of the text & illustrations? Any info you can share with me (such as full title, author & publication date) will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!

Comment

Working...
            X