• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Location of Bailey's Yard?

15th Sept 1888 Eastern Morning News
    THE WHITECHAPEL TRAGEDY
    ANOTHER ARREST
    The bloodstained newspaper, which were found in Bailey’s Yard, close to Hanbury Street, and upon which it is conjectured the Spitalfields murderer wiped his hands after committing his fearful crime, have been subjected to analysis, and the stains are certified to be those of human blood. The police who made the search state distinctly that the paper was not there when they made the search last Saturday, and though they have been closely examined at this point, they adhere to their statement.
    It is not clear, moreover, that the murderer could have thrown the newspapers in the spot where they were found from the backyard in Hanbury Street.

I have several maps of Whitechapel and cannot find this yard, nor can I find it on the maps on casebook. Any ideas?
    Regards Mike

Hi Mike,

It strikes me as likely that Bailey's Yard, like Dutfield's, wasn't a place-name you'd find on any map, but was known locally as such, a bit like "Foner's Yard" and "Paddy's Field" not far from where I live. Everyone knows where they are, people still refer to them as such (although Messrs Foner and Paddison ceased to own them long ago), but there were never any road-signs, or maps, that bore those words.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Mike,

Rob, Colin, Philip or Jake would be able to help you there.

I vaguely remember this story but cannot recall the location. 2 doors down springs to mind but I dont trust that myself.

I will say that it was impossible to certify blood as human in 1888, only that in was mamillian, which kinda explains this find.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Thanks Monty, it is a strange thing to write but these newspaper reports are full of little gems.

One such report on the torso murders gave details of how the skull was damaged, then ended with...."If only we had found the skull to confirm our theories" or something similar!

Thanks for that Sam, we have places like that in Hull, named after local landmarks or people, but they never appear on maps!
        Regards Mike

Comment

From Annies Inquest:

James Kent, 20, Drew's Blocks, Shadwell, a packing-case maker, said: I work for Mr. Bayley, 23A, Hanbury-street,

Comment

Thanks Mitch,
            So what we have is essentially a yard named after the gentleman who who owns it and runs his business from it, therefore it doesn't exsist as a recognisable location on the maps.

I found the map here, http://www.casebook.org/official_doc...y-street.html#

I am assuming the yard was the upsidedown "L" shaped bit of land that ran down the side of 23 and round the back of the properties.
            Regards Mike

Comment

If Bailey's Yard was at the back of #23 then this was the entrance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_46_23_a_Hanbury_Street.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	654733
              allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

This passge from The Scotsman (12 September) may clarify things:

Abutting on the end of the yard, at 25, are the works of Mr Bailey, a packing case maker. In the yard of this establishment, in an out of the way corner, the police yesterday afternoon found some crumpled paper almost saturated with blood. It was evident that the murderer had found the paper in the yard of 25, and had wiped his hands with it, afterwards throwing it over the wall into Bailey's premises. The general appearance of the bloody trail and other indications seem to show that the murderer intended to make his way as rapidly as possible into the street through the house next door, but on being frightened by some noise or light in No. 29 from retreating by the way which he came, on reaching the yard of No. 25 he, it is believed, made for the back door, and then, suddenly remembering his bloodstained appearance, he must have hesitated a moment, and, catching sight of the piece of paper lying about, he doubtless retraced his steps to the end of the yard, and there sought to remove the blood stains.

Comment

Great stuff, Chris.

So JTR might have vaulted the fences at the back of 29, 27 and 25 and exited onto Hanbury Street via the passage shown on the Farson photo above.
                  allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Well, I know someone who was good at vaulting fences. However, if his hands were so bloody that they almost saturated the paper, would he not have left blood traces on the tops of the fences as he went over them, and would these not have been found by the police?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                      Well, I know someone who was good at vaulting fences. However, if his hands were so bloody that they almost saturated the paper, would he not have left blood traces on the tops of the fences as he went over them, and would these not have been found by the police?
                      Dunno, Rob - I suspect they'd almost certainly have discovered some broken fences, though. They looked none-too substantial, if the contemporary drawings are anything to go by.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
                        Great stuff, Chris.

So JTR might have vaulted the fences at the back of 29, 27 and 25 and exited onto Hanbury Street via the passage shown on the Farson photo above.
                        There was a gate at that entrance. It was open at the time Davies discovered the body. From the inquest I get the drift that the gate was normally closed at night.

I dont think JTR jumped any fences. It dont make sense. The best way is to walk out like you own the place. The same way you came in.

Besides... The front door of 29 Hanbury was described as being closed at the time the first guy leaves for work. Then wide open as if it had been flung open in haste. If thats true then we know JTR probably did that.

EDIT>>> I should say that as far as I know no blood was found in the hall either.

Comment

Another point is, a piece of paper would seem an odd way of cleaning his hands, given that there was a pan of water in the yard. He didn't make use of the water. Maybe he just kept his hands in his pockets until he reached a public tap.

Comment

Working...
                          X