No announcement yet.

I don't know why...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that clip of James Mason shows the poverty of the area really well. Its hard to really picture it when you go to the area today.
    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Hi all- I love Mitre Sq mainly because I have a lot of time for Kate-with all her faults- There is a definate sort of atmosphere there.............. but for me -nothing can beat Pinchin Street and THE archway- and Swallow Gardens (The most misnamed of all) for sheer 'freakedness'- no matter what the time of day or year!!

Suzi

As to the James Mason- Having seen a certain dvd I can't watch that without collapsing into hysterics!!!
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
        Another eerie thing I noticed is the drastic differences between Annie's face when she was just married and her post-mortem photograph. She seemed to have so much spirit, class, charisma and looked plump, but healthy... It was all gone by 1888. She looked old, withered, sick... Basically, she resembled a 70 year old woman when she wasn't even fifty.
        Do you really think there was that much difference? I don't

Comment

I must admit when I first saw the picture of Annie after death I thought it was a man. Poor woman did fall far!

Comment

Oh poor Annie- I wouldn't go that far Kat The picture of course is always shown upright whereas in reality Annie was laying on 'the slab'-nobody looks their best there!

Comment

Well I was only 8.

Comment

Lol Ok

Comment

Although all the victims have that pathos moment (jolly bonnets, 'don't let my bed' etc) I like that Eddowes is the only one that you can actually imagine drunkenly impersonating a fire engine. And because of that somehow her murder seems the most creepy to me.
                  Roll up the lino, Mother. We're raising Behemoth tonight!

Comment

Originally posted by KatBradshaw View Post
                    I must admit when I first saw the picture of Annie after death I thought it was a man.
                    ...I always saw a resemblance with dear Frankie Howerd:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annie-Frankie.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	654422
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

LOL very good!

Comment

Now now missus-titter you not!!

Comment

Obviously Tumblety's at the bottom of all this.

"Naughty! You mustn't mock Francis....Oh gay, gay, thrice gay...."

Comment

Mitre Square is very atmospheric, and I was there during daylight hours! There is just something about that area that plays on you!
                            Regards Mike

Comment

Annie's murder is definitely the creepiest to me an' all. It's the fact that it happened in peoples' backyard, and that it allegedly took place while there was faint daylight. I dunno, the whole thing's just freaky.

That being said, I can see why some would think Catherine Eddowes' murder was equally as eerie. For me that one's creepy because at that point she would've known there was a murderer at large in Whitechapel who targeted women similiar to her and yet she willingly went with Jack into Mitre Squre, none the wiser. I guess she's the prime example of the 'it'll never happen to me' mindset and she paid an even higher price for it than Chapman (i.e the facial mutilations). Just horrible.

Comment

Sometimes when I am up early in the mornings, right before the sun comes up, it will cross my mind "I bet this is what the light was like when Annie Chapman was killed."

You know you've been studying Jack the Ripper too long when......

Comment

Working...
                                X