• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DVV View Post
    Can you produce a written evidence...?

Amitiés,
    David
    Yes I can. I'll post it in a few minutes when....oh my God! A tidal wave is approaching! I don't think I'll be able...glug, glug, glug.

Touche,

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

Relax, Graham. You know how to swim.
      Just get the stones out of your pockets and keep the train ticket.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
        It did that for me was well, Fisherman.
        Unfortunately I have seen too much of the same stuff since then.
        I know it seems cold, but I can't say it holds the same daunting feel as the Mitre Square murder. I am at odds why, but it might have something to do with the place as such - although the Mary Kelly murder is extreme in itself, I find the crime scene in Mitre Square to be extremely atmospheric and to appeal more to my imagination.

What sets my imagination in motion for me is not the level of mutilation, but the actual context and nature of the crime scene. Although the buildings in Mitre Square is totally changed today, that has always been the one who makes my skin crawl.
        Another factor is that the life and destiny of Eddowes gets to me on a personal level and the fact that I like her as a person - I am more sensitive to those psychological factors today than any gory elements in a crime scene photo. Gory stuff in itself rarely get to me anyomore (and I am not saying that's a good thing)and as you yourself put it, I have seen loads of those.

However, seeing it in real life instead of a photo would of course be fundamentaly different.

All the best
        I'm the same way about Annie Chapman. There is just something about her life and her fate that won't let go of me...
        What's all this then?

Comment

Indeed, Chapman's life was tragic indeed, including the loss of all of her three daughters. Her life seems like an endless string of tragedies from a certain point in her life.

Can't explain why I am so attached to Eddowes, but it might be her personality. Out of all the victims I think she is the one I really like as a person.
          And as I said, to me Mitre Square is a very special place, especially as it was in 1888.

It's just one of those cases where personal preferences comes into play.

All the best
          The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Indeed, Chapman's life was tragic indeed, including the loss of all of her three daughters. Her life seems like an endless string of tragedies from a certain point in her life.

Can't explain why I am so attached to Eddowes, but it might be her personality. Out of all the victims I think she is the one I really like as a person.
            And as I said, to me Mitre Square is a very special place, especially as it was in 1888.

All the best
            Hi Glenn

Eddowes was the only C5 victim who may not have been a prostitute. Or so it's said.

Graham
            We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

All the best
              Tell me if I'm wrong, Glenn, but I see some reasons to "like" Eddowes as a person.
              Take her attitude when in custody, and her "Good night, old ****".
              The fact that she did not properly closed the police station door.
              The pain we feel when Kelly understood that it was "her" Kate that has been slaughter... The way they pawned their miserable goods, and their yearly hop picking.
              Really moving.

Amitiés,
              David

ps: wish I could exchange what you know with genuine olive oil from my village or real good rosé...

Comment

Hi Graham,

Well, most of them were loiterers, charwomen or hawkers anyway and only appears to have used prostitution on an irregular basis as a last resort (possibly with the exception of Kelly).

I truly believe that Eddowes did resort to prostitution at times in need - either when John Kelly was unaware of it and they spent their nights in separate locations, or else he just wouldn't acknowledge it in public.

The fact that she walked off to Mitre Square (in the opposite direction of home) - a well known hang-out for soliciting at night - indicates that she most likely went there for that purpose and knew the spot were used for such activities. If not, I can't see what she was doing there.

All the best

Comment

Hi Graham,

Well, most of them were loiterers, charwomen or hawkers anyway and only appears to have used prostitution on an irregular basis as a last resort (possibly with the exception of Kelly).

I truly believe that Eddowes did resort to prostitution at times in need - either when John Kelly was unaware of it and they spent their nights in separate locations, or else he just wouldn't acknowledge it in public.

The fact that she walked off to Mitre Square (in the opposite direction of home) - a well known hang-out for soliciting at night - indicates that she most likely went there for that purpose and knew the spot were used for such activities. If not, I can't see what she was doing there.

All the best
                  Drunk and lost, maybe? Who knows?

Graham

Comment

Tell me if I'm wrong, Glenn, but I see some reasons to "like" Eddowes as a person.
                    Take her attitude when in custody, and her "Good night, old ****".
                    The fact that she did not properly closed the police station door.
                    The pain we feel when Kelly understood that it was "her" Kate that has been slaughter... The way they pawned their miserable goods, and their yearly hop picking.
                    Really moving.
                    Indeed, David.
                    I had tears rolling down my face on one occasion when I wrote my book and that was when I did the Eddowes chapter. I felt very moved, as I did at the Conference in Wolverhampton which was held in her spirit.

ps: wish I could exchange what you know with genuine olive oil from my village or real good rosé...
                    Ah, David,
                    I love a good, chilled rose wine. Especially during summer time.

All the best

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                      Drunk and lost, maybe? Who knows?

Graham
                      Hardly Graham. I seriously doubt that.
                      Nor do I believe in the fairytale that she had scheduled a meeting with someone for other reasons.

All the best

Comment

Ah, David,
                        I love a good, chilled rose wine. Especially during summer time.

All the best
                        Please Glenn,
                        I'm living inthe "core" of rosé, and you have to know that, because of fashion, most rosé are fake.
                        Give me your address (private message) and let me send you a "chateau de Brégançon" (or two), it will be a pleasure for me, and I will be pleased to imagine your sincere toast in Sweden for poor Kate and John.

Amitiés,
                        David

Comment

All the best
                          Amen! I've been to Mitre Square in May... It's so creepy. Even with the new buildings, it's still the only location of the murders that looks closest to the way it did in 1888.
                          What's all this then?

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                            Hi Glenn

Eddowes was the only C5 victim who may not have been a prostitute. Or so it's said.

Graham
                            I also heard the same thing about Annie Chapman... But I might be mistaken. Or could it have been Liz Stride?
                            What's all this then?

Comment

Originally posted by emlodik View Post
                              I also heard the same thing about Annie Chapman... But I might be mistaken. Or could it have been Liz Stride?
                              All of the so called C5 victims (possibly with the exception of Eddowes, purely based on that we have no actual confirmation that she did) used prostitution as a last resort. All of the women did other work when they could or had the option at hand, some more than others.

But with the exception of Kelly none of them can be considered professional prostitutes. They were loiterers and working women first hand, although most of they lived in lodging houses.

Stride often worked as a charwomen for Jewish households and I believe Chapman also did some occasional work (I am only working from memory here). Tabram was a hawker, like Eddowes. Nichols was probably the one who was stuck in the prostitution route the most and appear to have been something of a hopeless alcoholic.

All the best

Comment

Another eerie thing I noticed is the drastic differences between Annie's face when she was just married and her post-mortem photograph. She seemed to have so much spirit, class, charisma and looked plump, but healthy... It was all gone by 1888. She looked old, withered, sick... Basically, she resembled a 70 year old woman when she wasn't even fifty.
                                What's all this then?

Comment

Working...
                                X