Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autobiography?

Hi all,

I saw there is a new Ripper book, called the autobiography of Jack the Ripper. Has anyone read it yet? What is it all about (I don't mean the Ripper case, I understand that! ) What is your opinion about it? I want to know a bit more about it before I spend my money.

greetings,

Addy

This book was discussed recently over on JTRForums: http://jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=13824

Comment

Thanks, I'll read that!

Comment

You might also want to have a look at this, Addy, by the talented Mike Covell: http://blog.casebook.org/mcebe/?p=230

Comment

Thanks, I read the thread and don't think I'll bother. Sounds like someone selling fiction as fact.

Greetings,

Addy

Comment

Hi Addy

Indeed, as has been remarked, this does seem to be an early example of Ripper fiction. It's also a reality that there has long been a genre of fiction in which the writer pretends that the events he is writing about actually happened. Almost contemporaneous with the Ripper murders, the character of Allan Quatermain who appears in King Solomon's Mines, and other novels by Sir Henry Rider Haggard, is a fictional character who comes to mind who is represented by the writer as if he was an actual white hunter and explorer in Africa.

All the best

Chris
            Christopher T. George
            Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
            just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
            For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
            RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

I have just read the book. Although the text is disjointed and contains some very cliched dialogue, especially attributed to the victims, it provides an interesting insight into how the Ripper murders, and their environment, were perceived some forty years later.

Comment

The autobiography of Jack The Ripper?

Hi, I'm new to this wonderful forum & have started to read the Carnac account, very interesting & almost believable.
                It is a shame it has been edited as in some of the more unpleasant parts have been destroyed, it would have been interesting to have read the gory details as it were!

I'm up to page 160, suddenly I've stopped as a trivial matter has almost spoilt the book for me already?

He says he left the house (his lodgings) just before Eleven, he's walking through Covent garden, he's walking down the Strand eastward,he arrives in Whitechapel high st at 12:30 (soon after)!

I'm not sure you can walk that distance in roughly half an hour, it's pretty far and although I haven't tried it, I will soon.

At best I would have thought the furthest you could get would be Bank/St pauls or even near Mitre sq?

It just made it unbelievable to me, I'll finish the book but, it did rather seem incorrect?

I'll do the walk and let you know!

Comment

tempus fugit

Hello Rob. Welcome to the boards.

From Covent Gardens to Whitechapel High street (about where Commercial is) comes to about 3 miles.

If the chap in question lived around Covent Gardens and left about 11.00, he should have arrived in Whitechapel around midnight. But if you are asking about a half hour from Covent gardens to Whitechapel, no. 3 miles is roughly an hour's walk.

Of course, we may both get the obligatory lecture on LVP time pieces.

Cheers.
                  LC

Comment

Originally posted by Addy View Post
                    Thanks, I read the thread and don't think I'll bother. Sounds like someone selling fiction as fact.

Greetings,

Addy
                    Anything called the autobography of JtR is going to be fiction
                    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

J T R

Hello Helena. I'd go further. Anything that ALLUDES to there being a JTR is fiction.

Cheers.
                      LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                        Hello Helena. I'd go further. Anything that ALLUDES to there being a JTR is fiction.

Cheers.
                        LC
                        Funnily enough only today someone told me that you subscribe to the belief that all eleven victims were killed by individual criminals.

Till then I didn't realise anyone thought that.

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

for the record

Hello Helena. Thanks.

Not quite right, though. Polly and Annie--same hand.

But you are right about autobiographies. Why would one leave such a record behind?

Cheers.
                          LC

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post

Not quite right, though. Polly and Annie--same hand.

But you are right about autobiographies. Why would one leave such a record behind?

Cheers.
                            LC
                            Ah... the "Canonical Two", then? So you reckon there were ten men going about ripping women to bits, then come 1891 they all ceased, all at the same time, by coincidence?

Helena

Comment

four

Hello Helena. Thanks.

In brief (don't want to highjack), don't know about 11 women being ripped to pieces. Do know a bit about 4 who WERE ripped.

Of those 4, I see 3 assailants.

Cheers.
                              LC

Comment

Working...
                              X