Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Powell's New "The Hoax of JtR" Book Is Out...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor Steve Powell... Can we at least him credit for choosing a tasteful cover for his new book?

Comment

Melbourne is a self-publishing service, i.e. vanity press. Bookstores won't usually carry vanity books, so I guess he has to sell it on the web. I don't know what the Jewish angle might be though.

His cover was probably made on the cheap, but I credit it for being tasteful.

Comment

Originally posted by Archaic View Post
        Poor Steve Powell... Can we at least him credit for choosing a tasteful cover for his new book?
        Yes, I think the cover is great .. and this "Poor Steve Powell" bit
        is all because he is being judged before the book has even been
        read.
        And yes, judged already because of allegations raised and things
        said here .. why not wait and see what his further investigations
        have uncovered, and how it has been put together between the
        'great cover' before condemning the man.

Christine, I believe that the book will be sold in bookshops,
        at least in Australia. The book also is not being self published, it is
        being funded by and under contract to the publisher.
        So looking at it that way shows confidence on the part of the
        publishing house as to the validity and quality of his work .. as they
        are taking it on board. They must think there is something in what
        he has to say, or they would not risk their reputation.
        "Victoria Victoria, the queen of them all,
        of Sir Jack she knows nothing at all"

Comment

Strange Brew

I'd actually like to read this book. I'm curious to hear what Mr. Powell has to say. I suppose I see the Maybrick Saga as a sort of 20th C. reverse version of the Tichborne Claimant. When someone like me looks at it now, in 2009, with an overall view and as an 'outsider' with no past personal involvement and no axes to grind, it's one big convoluted psycho-cultural-historical mess of... gee, I don't know what... Strange Brew.
          -Archaic

Comment

Trooper Archaic

Archaic,
            Nice to see that you know your hoaxes.
            Tichborne actually lived not too far from where I am.
            Please do read the book if you want the real truth about the diary.
            Nice to hear from you.

Steve Powell

Comment

Tichbornitis

Hi, Steve. And thanks for your unexpected response, I appreciate that. It actually never occurred to me that you were reading this, which is maybe kind dim on my part! I'm just a naturally curious person and I like to hear all sides of an argument, even sides I don't necessarily endorse, because I always learn something from them. They at least help me clarify my own thoughts and opinions, which is always useful. When trying to understand any huge, complex, divisive, mind-warping issue I think it helps to remember that many different people might each know a piece of the Truth.

It seems to me that just as we look back now at weird phenomena like the Tichborne Claimant controversy and wonder what all the fuss was about, future Historians and Sociologists will someday look back at the Maybrick controversy and scratch their heads trying to figure out what it tells us about ourselves... uh-oh.

Peace, everybody. - Archaic
              Last edited by Archaic; 05-07-2009, 07:59 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

"strange brew"

When trying to understand any huge, complex, divisive, mind-warping issue I think it helps to remember that many different people might each know a piece of the Truth.

Peace, everybody. - Archaic
                Hi Archaic,
                I like your posts .. nice and balanced viewpoints,
                I particularly like and agree with your above statement.
                And Life is strange .. and Truth is stranger than fiction.

And more peace, and love to all.

Comment

. When trying to understand any huge, complex, divisive, mind-warping issue I think it helps to remember that many different people might each know a piece of the Truth.
                  Or many people might think they know a piece of the truth and when it is all put together, there is none.

Cheers,

Mike
                  huh?

Comment

If Steve is here, maybe he can let us know if there is some way to get this book other than ordering it from a different hemisphere?

Comment

I'm sure it will be an entertaining read.
                      Steve has an interesting writing style.
                      Does Paul Feldman get the odd mention?

Comment

Vicky,

So what's in it for you? Come on now, be honest.

Comment

Hi Scott,

being honest .. nothing, I don't need or want anything from it.

In case you didn't know, I knew Steve Powell very well many years
                          ago .. and I remember some of the incidents that relate to his story.
                          It would be wrong of me to deny those things.
                          It would be wrong not to help with anything I knew, whether it was
                          Steve or someone that I didn't know .. like Shirley Harrison who I
                          tried to help with what I knew years ago.

My motivating factor or "what's in it for you" would really be that I regard him as
                          a friend and a good person, and I realise that makes me seem not 'neutral' in all
                          of this.
                          I have not lied for him about anything I have previously said, and I can say
                          most definately .. that he would not want or expect that from me.
                          Steve is not a fraudster of any kind.

I myself look forward to reading his book, and seeing how the pieces of the puzzle are
                          put into place.
                          As Jez has mentioned, he has an 'interesting writing style' .. it will be
                          a good read, of that I am sure.

Comment

A Piece of the Truth

(QUOTE) I'm just a naturally curious person and I like to hear all sides of an argument, even sides I don't necessarily endorse, because I always learn something from them. They at least help me clarify my own thoughts and opinions, which is always useful. When trying to understand any huge, complex, divisive, mind-warping issue I think it helps to remember that many different people might each know a piece of the Truth.

It seems to me that just as we look back now at weird phenomena like the Tichborne Claimant controversy and wonder what all the fuss was about, future Historians and Sociologists will someday look back at the Maybrick controversy and scratch their heads trying to figure out what it tells us about ourselves... uh-oh.

Peace, everybody. - Archaic[/QUOTE]

Originally posted by The Good Michael View Post
                            Or many people might think they know a piece of the truth and when it is all put together, there is none.

Cheers,

Mike
                            Hi, Mike. Yes, that's certainly a possibility... but if you don't first make an effort to put all the pieces together, how will you ever really know?

Victoria, thanks for your kind comments. I had no idea this thread of mine would turn into anything other than a simple book announcement, but that just goes to show I'm a newbie!
                            And when I said earlier that I thought Steve deserved credit for a tasteful book cover, I sincerely meant it. I was not being sarcastic- I'm sure that any of you who have read the Andrew Cook thread will understand why.

It's late and I'm tired, but I just want to say that I sincerely appreciate all the Casebook members' thought-provoking posts. It's heartening when human communication works & people are able to agree, or to courteously and respectfully disagree! So thanks for that, and I mean it. Today's my birthday and achieving a little bit of harmony feels pretty good.

- Good night all, Archaic

Comment

Happy Birthday Archaic, .. well I guess it's all over now til next year, seeing that you have said goodnight.
                              Hope that your enjoyed your day .. with that bit of added 'harmony'.

I'm so sorry that my earlier post came across to you, in a way that I thought you were being 'sarcastic' in regards
                              to the book cover .. I knew when I read your post that you meant it sincerely. I think I just jumped
                              at the chance to comment when I saw the words 'Poor Steve Powell'. I in no way directed my comments to you 'a newbie',
                              but just trying to give a gentle message to others, who have prematurely made their minds up.

Comment

The Maybricks, the Hatfields & the McCoys

Hi, Victoria, and thank you for the good wishes! Thanks too for your message regarding my previous comment on the 'good book cover'. I know this is a corner of Ripper studies even more fraught with landmines than usual (if that is possible!), so I can certainly see how at first glance my positively-intended remark might have been taken as a sarcastic one.

I guess that to an outside observer such as myself, the Maybrick saga sometimes resembles a cross between a long drawn-out Television Soap Opera full of inexplicable twists & turns, and an eternal Feud on the scale of the Hatfields and the McCoys!

But hey, I just thought of something else ''positive'': the Hatfields and the McCoys recently made up! The families finally met and reconciled. If I remember correctly, there was even talk of them inter-marrying. - Of course, I'm NOT suggesting that anyone anyone here has to go that far!! Just a small observation.

Best regards to ALL. -Archaic

Comment

Working...
                                X