Cricket, lovely cricket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steven:

Worried only for you guys, Steven, I can't imagine the damage that a flogging this series will do to you all.

Cheers,
    Adam.[/quote]

Hello, Adam.
    True, it would smart a bit if we were to lose this series. But, being British, we would be able to simply shrug our shoulders and say, "Well done Aussie" as befits a race of gentlemen and wait for the next time.

Australia sounds like a wonderful place. I hope I will be able to enjoy a visit to take in some degree of her undoubted splendour before I die. And there have been several admirable Aussies over the years. I am thinking of people like Keith Miller (a mighty man in anyone's book), Clarrie Grimmet (oh... wait a minute... wasn't he a New Zealander?) and Rolf Harris.

But - and please don't take this the wrong way - a little advice from the old country might not go amiss. I understand that you have little to offer in terms of history, literature, art, science, and so on. That is not your fault. You are a young country. But it is surely unwise to base your entire sense of national pride in sporting achievements and carry on like a petulant three-year-old when things do not go your way. I merely mention this.

Let us hope that the forthcoming Ashes series will be a wonderful contest which will help cement the cordial relations between Britain and her satellites.

Best wishes,
    Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post

And there have been several admirable Aussies over the years...

Best wishes,
      Steve.
      Hello Steve, I entirely agree with your sentiments of Australia.. but noticed, for Adam's sake, from the above list you left out the two most eloquent and verbally renditionally quaint artisans from Oz, namely Skippy and Flipper.

Adam...just kidding old chap... hope it is a real ripper of a series. May the best team win!

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

You're right, Phil. Skippy was great.

Best, Steve.

Comment

Steven:

How on earth could you forget the best Aussie of them all - Paul Hogan?
          I do wish you would come down here one day, though you may be pleasantly surprised, as we have something down here you might not know much about, called "sunshine".

In all seriousness though, I do have to agree though that I hope for all concerned that it is a fantastic and closely fought series - Test cricket is dying a slow and painful death and it's almost necessary for this series to be close in order to breathe some sort of life back into it.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Adam:
            What is this "sunshine" of which you speak?
            I think this is going to be a belting series. Let's all enjoy it and hope it is exciting and closely fought. And Adam, let's hope you are wrong about the future of test cricket. My god I hope so.

Best wishes and may the better team win I suppose,
            Steve.

Comment

Well aint this nice?

All this back slapping, get a room ladies.

Which country is better? Hot buttered crumpets and Earl Grey or vegimite on toast an tepid coffee?

Nice fluffy badgers or spiders who bite you on the ass when you use the 'ablusions'. Even yer wildlife are underhanded.

No brainer.

And you seriously lecturing us on flogging? What do you think we did to you ancestors before we shipped them out there?

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

I think Flipper was American.

The best Aussie of all is undoubtedly Sir Les Patterson.

Comment

Steven:

Five years ago, you saw cricketers retiring from ODI's and Twenty20's to prolong their Test careers - now, it's the other way around. There's huge money to be had in the bash and crash versions and Test cricket is increasingly seen as being boring - and that's exactly why this Ashes series needs to live up to the hype.

Monty:

You're talking nonsense. In a survey taken in 2006 internationally, Australia was ranked as #3 of the best countries in the world to live - England was at #18. Similarly, I believe I heard on the radio a week or two ago that Australia had now moved up to #2 while England was still not in the top 10. I rest my case.

Yes, indeed you probably did flog my ancestors and everybody else - i'm sure my GGG grandfather totally deserved the 7 years and floggings he received for stealing a table. But it must have caused you all some sorrow over the years that if you had not shipped off certain ancestors of cricketers, they might well be playing for your country....oh, but wait, that doesn't stop The UN anyway! Ha!

...."I hate when i'm playing backyard cricket and England tries to recruit me..."

By the way, it's VegEmite.....

Meanwhile, I watched the All Stars Twenty20 match last night, our opener to the summer of cricket.....Matthew Hayden captained the All Stars to a victory as well as making 34 off 22 balls opening the batting. Ah yes, it was a great trip down memory lane to the glory days....

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

Yes, you hold on to those wonderful memories Adam, its all you have left now.

Actually its MARmite.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

Monty:

Did you know that Warnie also now has his own show on TV? It debuts this Wednesday night....looking forward to it.

Cheers,
                      Adam.

Comment

Warne with his own show

Adam do you remember The Oz Brothers from The Late Show

Comment

Hey Belinda,

Can't say I do! Which Late Show was this?

Cheers,
                          Adam.

Comment

Well day one hasn't yet finished....but what's that I smell? I believe it's Pommy fear....

What a champion Peter Siddle is. And forums members: If any of you have been having trouble sleeping of late, get yourself a copy of Alastair Cook's innings from today - that'll fix you very quickly.

Cheers,
                            Adam.

Comment

The fear smelling line is mine, get yer own. No wonder we call you convicts, youll nick anything.

If a lame assed trundler, who just got selected cos you got no one else, can do that imagine what our bowling attack can do.

Dont worry, Im not.....youve gotta bat next.

Oooooh, Im excited now.

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Adam I do believe there is an odour about.

The Late Show that was on the ABC with Mick Molloy and some of The D Generation

How How Howzat.......

Comment

Working...
                                X