No announcement yet.

Centenaries - whole and half

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100 years ago - 1916 June 30 - Gangster Oresto Shillintoni is executed in New York for the murders of two policemen and a rival mobster.
    This my opinion and to the best of my knowledge, that is, if I'm not joking.

Stan Reid

Comment

• Originally posted by sdreid View Post
      100 years ago - 1916 June 30 - Gangster Oresto Shillintoni is executed in New York for the murders of two policemen and a rival mobster.
      https://hatchingcatnyc.com/2013/09/2...lberry-street/ recounts Shillintoni's deeply impressive resume of villainy.
      - Ginger

Comment

• Originally posted by Ginger View Post
        https://hatchingcatnyc.com/2013/09/2...lberry-street/ recounts Shillintoni's deeply impressive resume of villainy.
        Wow what a lovely bloke.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
          Wow what a lovely bloke.
          One of those you cannot really feel tears for when they end up in the hotseat.

Comment

• 250 years ago - 1766 July 1 - Twenty-year-old religious dissident Francis-Jean de la Barre is tortured and beheaded in France. The nobleman was executed after he was found guilty of blasphemy and sacrilege.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 2 - At Indiana Dunes State Park, three young women named Renee Bruhl, Ann Miller and Patty Blough vanish. Personnel noticed their blanket and belongings on the beach when the park was being closed for the evening and their car was still in the parking lot. It's assumed that the women were taken and murdered but they have not been found. Several suspects have been mentioned but the case is still unsolved today.
              Last edited by sdreid; 06-30-2016, 07:50 AM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 5 - Helen Hansen, a 35-year-old mother, is found dead in her Massachusetts apartment. Several years later, Edmund Lopes, a Baptist minister, admitted to killing her. Lopes eventually went to prison in Illinois for the 1970 murder of his wife. He died in 2013.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 6 - In Kent, Washington, Judith Haga and her infant daughter Peri, seven months, are strangled in their home. Eric Haga, the husband and father, claimed that an intruder had committed the murders which he had slept through. He was later convicted and sent to prison for life.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 150 years ago - 1866 July 12 - Dr. Alfred Warder takes his own life by drinking prussic acid. His suicide was to avoid being charged in an English court with the murders of three of his wives by poison.

Stan Reid

Comment

150 years ago - 1866 July 12 - Dr. Alfred Warder takes his own life by drinking prussic acid. His suicide was to avoid being charged in an English court with the murders of three of his wives by poison.
                      Dr. Warder had appeared as an expert witness in several poisoning cases (including as a defense expert in the case of Dr. William Palmer in 1856). Due to his suicide (which prevented any trial on the merits of the suspicions against him regarding his three wives) the case against Dr. Warder is not recalled, unlike Palmer's, Smethurst's, Pritchard's, and Lamson's.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by Mayerling View Post
                        Dr. Warder had appeared as an expert witness in several poisoning cases (including as a defense expert in the case of Dr. William Palmer in 1856). Due to his suicide (which prevented any trial on the merits of the suspicions against him regarding his three wives) the case against Dr. Warder is not recalled, unlike Palmer's, Smethurst's, Pritchard's, and Lamson's.

Jeff
                        Thanks Jeff-you can't get a much more "expert" witness than that!

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 13 - In the late evening, Richard Speck forces his way into a Chicago townhouse and by the following morning has raped, tortured and murdered eight student nurses who lived there. The sole survivor was a nurse who hid under a bed and she later identified Speck as the murderer. Speck, who had almost certainly murdered another woman in April of this year, was eventually sent to prison for a life term and died there in 1991.
                          Last edited by sdreid; 07-11-2016, 03:17 PM.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 50 years ago - 1966 July 17 - In North Carolina, Vernon Shipman, Charles Glass and Louise Shumate disappear. Five days later, the beaten and stabbed bodies of all three were found in an isolated area. Shipman and Glass were gay partners but neither man had any known connection to Ms. Shumate. The murders are still unsolved although an escaped criminal, now deceased, named Edward Thompson Jr. has been mentioned as a possible suspect.

Stan Reid

Comment

• 100 years ago - 1916 July 22 - A suitcase bomb explodes at the Preparedness Day parade in San Francisco killing 10 and wounding 40. Two labor leaders were convicted of the murders but later evidence of perjury at their trials led to them being pardoned. There were never any other convictions in the case.

Stan Reid

Comment

100 years ago - 1916 July 22 - A suitcase bomb explodes at the Preparedness Day parade in San Francisco killing 10 and wounding 40. Two labor leaders were convicted of the murders but later evidence of perjury at their trials led to them being pardoned. There were never any other convictions in the case.
                                The conviction of Billings and Moody for the Preparedness Day bombing took years of fighting in the courts to undue - they weren't pardoned until 1939. The only book on the case I know of ("The Mooney Case" by Richard H. Frost) suggests that the bomb might have been the plant of a West Coast German saboteur (that same year a German saboteur had planted a bomb that destroyed arms and ammunition at a depot on "Black Tom Island" in New Jersey, behind the Statue of Liberty in New York Harbor).

Jeff

Comment

Working...
                                X