Oh, Dear Boss: The Lighter Side of John Malcolm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
    This line of reasoning has long been the interpretation of many. Unfortunately it leads to unnecessarily marginalizing Anderson, which in turn encourages the dismissal of the "Polish Jew Theory". It's a convenient way to avoid the confusing details, and it clears the table for imaginary suspects to be served up. That's why the myths surrounding the ex-assistant commissioner should be dispelled. The weight of "evidence" against Anderson looks formidable from a distance, but up close it amounts to an army of laughing gas filled balloons. The man was a divisive character who was equally respected and despised. There are many people in this field who I respect and admire who look at everything Anderson said with suspicion, and rightly so. But it's not good enough reason to opt for what may appear to be the simplest explanation, that the man was just blowing smoke.
    A number of authorities in the field have accepted what Anderson and Macnaghten wrote at more or less face value, arguing that they were there, they were top officials, and know more than we will ever know. Well, of course, that doesn't necessarily follow. Despite their expressed certainty, they could have been as much in the dark as we are, and probably were. They were just coming up with answers to a mysterious case and really can't be relied upon to know what they were talking about.

Cheers

Chris
    Christopher T. George
    Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
    just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
    For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
    RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Well, Swanson seems to have had his head screwed on. Macnaghten may have had his head screwed on sometimes, but unfortunately relied on his memory for its whereabouts, as he never made notes.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisGeorge View Post
        A number of authorities in the field have accepted what Anderson and Macnaghten wrote at more or less face value, arguing that they were there, they were top officials, and know more than we will ever know. Well, of course, that doesn't necessarily follow. Despite their expressed certainty, they could have been as much in the dark as we are, and probably were. They were just coming up with answers to a mysterious case and really can't be relied upon to know what they were talking about.

Cheers

Chris
        I totally agree with you

Comment

Lay it on me mates, I can take it. Tell me where I'm wrong and how I'm wrong. Prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks. But please be specific. I don't have the patience to deal with dumb generalizations.

Comment

I simply can't see Anderson and the police getting a positive identification and then finding out the witness won't testify and responding by saying "understood old boy. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day."

c.d.

Comment

Originally posted by John Malcolm View Post
              Lay it on me mates, I can take it. Tell me where I'm wrong and how I'm wrong. Prove that you can teach an old dog new tricks. But please be specific. I don't have the patience to deal with dumb generalizations.
              Hi john
              Even churchill thought Anderson was a blow hard. Ill go with churchill. Lol.

Seriously, ive got him in my top tier of suspects. Two senior police officers name him and hes the only ripper suspect that has any real evidence against so hes got to be up there.

That being said.... regarding the positive ID-lawende probably said something along the lines of i think thats him but i cant swear to it. Over the years, with wishful thinking, misremembering and or the need to cast himself in a better light, it became the ascertained fact in andersons mind.

Plus, even before the id, anderson seemed to think that the ripper might be jewish, so there may be a bit of preconceived bias there.

And i agree with CD—-if it was actually such a positive ID at the time, such a definite ascertained fact, there is no way they would have let it slide. Throw up the arms oh well. They could have supoened him to testify and either if they couldnt if they thought they had there man they would have charged him and let the chips fall as they may. The pressure was tremendous on them to solve this case.

Now all this being said, i cant throw the baby out with the bathwater, so koz remains a suspect. A weak suspect, but theyre all weak. Some just less weak than others.
              Last edited by Abby Normal; 06-13-2018, 04:29 PM.
              "Is all that we see or seem
              but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
              quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Get a grip, lads. These top police officials weren't in the dark. Anderson was an accomplished liar and Macnaghten played the game.

Swanson appearing to agree with Anderson in his marginalia is one of the worst pranks of all time.

Regards,

Simon
                Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
                  I simply can't see Anderson and the police getting a positive identification and then finding out the witness won't testify and responding by saying "understood old boy. Thanks for your time. Have a nice day."

c.d.
                  You missed off “hope you enjoyed the day out at the seaside” 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    Well, Swanson seems to have had his head screwed on.
                    That's rather non-committal, Robert. Isn't it standard procedure to indicate which direction his head is screwed on?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                      Get a grip, lads. These top police officials weren't in the dark. Anderson was an accomplished liar and Macnaghten played the game.

Swanson appearing to agree with Anderson in his marginalia is one of the worst pranks of all time.

Regards,

Simon
                      What evidence do we have that Anderson or Macnaghten were liars on this issue Simon? Surely we cant just take the ‘they were all in on it,’ approach. Everyone lies at times including those in power but they would have to have a pretty serious reason to lie on this issue. And if these top men weren’t isolated figures (they of course had colleagues, family and friends) then surely the risk of the lie being passed on would increase massively. Once one person tells another.....

So what I’m saying is that we need tangible reasons for believing them to be liars.
                      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Hi Herlock,

I suggest you read my book, Deconstructing Jack.

It will tell you all about Anderson's various tall stories.

Regards,

Simon
                        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Working...
                        X