The roots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The roots

Maybe I'm undereducated... so help me, please.

Have any of 'canonical' victims (or any from the 'long list') got Jewish roots?
    No one, right?

Was Stride the only one, who came from the continent?
    Yes, all of them were "British", right?

Did Stride speak English very well?
    Yes, she didn't have an accent, right?

Were there Jewish, Polish or Russians prostitutes in East End?
    Yes, they were, right?

If so, isn't it significant, that JtR choosed rather "British" prostitutes? (even Stride could make such an impression)
    What do you think?

ps. I'm not nationalist, racist or whatsoever. But maybe JtR was?

Adam,

I think the Ripper chose his victims at random as the opportunity arose. It is possible he rejected some women in favour of others but I don't think he was that picky.

I think it likely that Stride did have a slight accent. It would be unusual for her to have totally lost her accent as she left Sweden as an adult.

I am not so sure that there would have been that many Jewish prostitutes on the streets as the Jewish societies had more facilities for caring for their destitute members and tended to flock together to help out someone in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
      Adam,
      I am not so sure that there would have been that many Jewish prostitutes on the streets as the Jewish societies had more facilities for caring for their destitute members and tended to flock together to help out someone in trouble.
      Thank you! That's what I thought. Nevertheless Eddowes was wrongly taken by prostitute "Phoebe the Jewess", so it made me wonder...
      Best regards,
      Adam

Comment

Originally posted by Limehouse View Post
        It is possible he rejected some women in favour of others but I don't think he was that picky.
        You may make laugh at me, but one day I even started to think, that graffiti said:
        "The Jewess are not the men that will be blamed for nothing". Of course such feeble English would be a proof, that graffiti was written by an immigrant...
        Nevermind. Just one more crazy theory...

Comment

Originally posted by adamkle View Post
          Maybe I'm undereducated... so help me, please.

Have any of 'canonical' victims (or any from the 'long list') got Jewish roots?
          No one, right?

Was Stride the only one, who came from the continent?
          Yes, all of them were "British", right?

Did Stride speak English very well?
          Yes, she didn't have an accent, right?

Were there Jewish, Polish or Russians prostitutes in East End?
          Yes, they were, right?

If so, isn't it significant, that JtR choosed rather "British" prostitutes? (even Stride could make such an impression)
          What do you think?

ps. I'm not nationalist, racist or whatsoever. But maybe JtR was?
          I really don't see why the killer should be "racist" because he killed "British prostitutes (as you said).
          Does anybody do?

DVV (Anti Racist Killer Association Member)

Comment

Hi Adam,

As ever, this is likely to rest on simple probabilities:

Think "drunken derelict" rather than prostitute, and ask yourself how many female derelict drunkards of that time would have been Jewish/Polish/German women, compared to the number who would have been indigenous or assimilated Brits.

Think "estranged daughter/mother/wife" rather than prostitute, and consider how many Jewish/Eastern European women who came from "broken homes", or who had abandoned their parents, husbands and offspring to lead a life of debauchery - compared to those in the West who might have followed a similar path.

Think "evicted dosser" rather than prostitute, and ask yourself the same question. An examination of census returns shows that an very small number of doss-house inmates had Jewish/Polish/German names, compared with their "British" equivalents. For example, when the 1891 Census was taken, Crossingham's lodging house in Dorset Street had only ONE dosser (out of 300 residents) with a vaguely "foreign" name - a James Goldsmith - but he was a native of Spitalfields.

Whilst there would have been some Jewish and Eastern European women on the streets (for whatever reason) at night, they would have been few an far between, and easily outnumbered by their Western counterparts by a significant margin. This, allied with their age, their physical condition, desperation and/or alcoholism, would have made women in the latter category comparatively easy pickings for the Ripper.
            Last edited by Sam Flynn; 06-29-2008, 02:02 PM.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Thank you, Sam!
              That cleared me a lot! This morbid idea was so simple (far too simple, as you pointed), that I had to ask.
              Best regards,
              Adam

Comment

Originally posted by adamkle View Post
                You may make laugh at me, but one day I even started to think, that graffiti said:
                "The Jewess are not the men that will be blamed for nothing". Of course such feeble English would be a proof, that graffiti was written by an immigrant...
                Nevermind. Just one more crazy theory...
                not totally far fetched, although the spelling was quibbled over when presented as evidence, and noone mentioned this version to my knowledge.

of course the word 'juwes' is pronounced 'joo-ees' so it could be a spelling error by the writer.
                if mickey's a mouse, and pluto's a dog, whats goofy?

Comment

Working...
                X