Can anyone help ID this victim, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RockySullivan View Post
    gutay, ah i see...a sailor from sydney not a report of a sailor from sydney (newspaper) as i misread thanks!
    It WAS in a Sydney newspaper as well. I wonder how many arrests were actually made, even f nothing came of them, I also wonder if they were actually arrested or just "Assisting with Inquiries" as they like to say today
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

From what I can see, this report travelled pretty much Australia-wide that week, and the reports in the various papers I've found so far are either exact replicas of the text posted here (thank you, GUT) or minor variations thereof.

I also think that this, if genuine, ought to be in the local papers in one form or another, even just as an 'ordinary' nasty but un-Ripperish murder in a brothel/boarding house.

Maybe someone at a London newspaper office didn't like his job much and thought he'd have a lark, telegraph a "Ripper" story to Sydney and enjoy the ensuing drama. 19th C trololol.

Comment

The person who was arrested in the brief posted report couldn't have been Isenschmid, our pork butcher friend, I suppose?

On 11th of September two Holloway doctors informed the police that they believed that Isenschmid was the Whitechapel murderer.

He'd been lodging at a house in Milford Rd and went out very early some mornings (it turned out to get supplies to dress calves feet etc., as he was a pork butcher.) He was obviously mentally unstable (his estranged wife said he carried knives about) and was arrested and taken to Holloway Police station on 12th September.

Judged insane, Isenschmid ended up at Grove Hall Lunatic Asylum in Bow that same day.

Comment

Working...
        X