The JTR Academy Awards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The JTR Academy Awards

Hello. Since the Academy Awards were on last night, it got me thinking how we should have our own awards on JTR films. So, I've decided to come up with a list of some of the best Ripper films and you can tell me who you think should win for the various categories. The award is The Dagger. Here are the nominees:

Best Supporting Actor:

Ian Holm, From Hell

Armand Assante, Jack The Ripper

David Warner, Time After Time

James Mason, Murder By Decree

Ivor Novello, The Lodger

Best Supporting Actress

Heather Graham, From Hell

Jane Seymour, Jack The Ripper

Mary Steenburgen, Time After Time

Susan Clark, Murder By Decree

June Tripp, The Lodger

Best Actor

Johnny Depp, From Hell

Michael Caine, Jack The Ripper

Malcolm McDowell, Time After Time

Christopher Plummer, Murder by Decree

(Since there really aren't any female leads in any of these movies, the award for Best Actress goes to Marie Ault, by default, for her starring role in The Lodger)

Best Cinematography

From Hell

Jack The Ripper

TIme After Time

Murder By Decree

The Lodger

Best Director

The Hughes Brothers, From Hell

David Wickes, Jack The Ripper

Nicholas Meyer, Time After Time

Bob Clark, Murder By Decree

Alfred Hitchcock, The Lodger

Best Picture

From Hell

Jack The Ripper

Time After Time

Murder By Decree

The Lodger

So, let me know who you think the Dagger (as opposed to Oscar, lol) should go to.
    Last edited by JTRSickert; 03-08-2010, 03:25 PM.
    I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

You missed off the worst film category my vote "From hell"

Worst actor "Johhny Depp in From Hell"

Comment

Hey Trevor,

I thought JD's acting was fine, but the story was awful. All that nonsense about Abberline being a dope fiend and the same old worn out Masonic/high personage bit. I wish Hollywood would get over this Royals nonsense.

I especially hated the way they portrayed Liz Stride.
      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
        Hey Trevor,

I thought JD's acting was fine, but the story was awful. All that nonsense about Abberline being a dope fiend and the same old worn out Masonic/high personage bit. I wish Hollywood would get over this Royals nonsense.

I especially hated the way they portrayed Liz Stride.
        He keeps wanting to talk in a weird voice in all of his films.

Comment

Hmm, I should've thought who the judges ought to be for the above mentioned categories. If I had to choose a panel of 3 or 4 (and no disrespect intended for any of the other bloggers on here, of course)I think I'd have to select Paul Begg, Stewart Evans, Martin Fido, and Don Rumbelow.
          I won't make any deals. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed,de-briefed, or numbered!

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
            He keeps wanting to talk in a weird voice in all of his films.
            So true! I almost commented on his accent, but I'm in no way qualified to speak on how well a British accent is done by any actor.
            "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

Originally posted by Celesta View Post
              So true! I almost commented on his accent, but I'm in no way qualified to speak on how well a British accent is done by any actor.
              Well Celesta take it from me he murders it (no pun intended)

Comment

I watched the Michael Caine Jack the Ripper this weekend for the first time in years and enjoyed it, probably because I no longer view these films with a critical eye. I thought the guys who played Sir Charles Warren and Gull were very good. The guy who played Godley looks like Robert Reed of Brady Bunch fame.

I also watched my old VHS of Terror at London Bridge in all its cheesy glory. There are many, many more Ripper films than the ones listed in this thread. There's also Ripper starring Tom Savini made here in Tulsa where I live in 1985. It's horrendous.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

That's what I suspected, Trevor.

Like Tom though, I don't view the films with as much a critical eye either. It used to bug me a lot that they weren't accurate. But what the "hay"; they're movies, you know? I would like to see one that depicted what really happened but didn't conclude that any particular person was the killer. There may be some that do. I haven't seen every Ripper movie yet. My main problem with From Hell was the way they did Stride. It just didn't fit my image of her.

Comment

What about most random mention of a pea?
                    “be just and fear not”

Comment

Best Supporting Actor--Ian Holm-(from hell)--I'll toss in Robbie Coltrane, because whatever he does is great.

Best Actresses--Susan Clark-Murder By Decree

Best Actor--Christopher Plummer AND James Mason-Murder by Decree

Best Cinemtography--It's a toss up between From Hell and Murder by Decree and Jack the Ripper, but it goes to From Hell

Best Screenplay--Toss up between Time After Time and Murder by Decree--but it goes to Time after Time

Best Director-Nicholas Meyer

Best Movie--????

ps...my critical eye is hard to turn off too. I picked up From Hell at Walmart for $5 and was watching it, and I just couldn't believe how corny some of the dialogue was.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
                        There's also Ripper starring Tom Savini made here in Tulsa where I live in 1985. It's horrendous.
                        Another Okie, perhaps?

My votes would have to be:

Best Supporting Actor- Ian Holm

Best Actor- Michael Caine (just because he's awesome)

Best Cinematography- From Hell

Those are the only three that I can make up my mind over. It's funny though, I watched From Hell for the first time since I started researching this case, and I had to turn it off because I was arguing with the T.V.

Best Wishes,
                        Erynn

Comment

My nominations would be :

Best Ripper film : Murder By Decree

Best newcomer : John Gielgud (Murder By Decree)

Best Ripper Song : 24 Whores From Tulsa

Comment

Working...
                          X