Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Sam Flynn 46 minutes ago.
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - by Ben 2 hours ago.
Motive, Method and Madness: Was the ripper and also the torsomans crimes totally non sexual in nature? - by Michael W Richards 2 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Simon Wood 15 hours ago.
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - by Scott Nelson 15 hours ago.
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - by Paddy 16 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Any updates, or opinions on this witness. - (8 posts)
Maybrick, James: One Incontrovertible, Unequivocal, Undeniable Fact Which Refutes the Diary - (8 posts)
Witnesses: Sarah and Maurice Lewis - (6 posts)
Maybrick, James: And This Is Factual! - (4 posts)
Maybrick, James: New Thoughts On The “diary” - (2 posts)
Maybrick, James: Acquiring a Life - (1 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Scene of the Crimes

Old 03-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Constable

Default What is a carman?

Hello,

can anyone explain to me what exactly a carman is. I cannot find this word in my edition of the Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary. An online dictionary gives the explanations 'trolley car-man' and 'railways man' but I am not sure if that is what Charles Cross or Robert Paul were doing.

Thank you for your help,
Frank
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Premium Member
Premium Member

A carman was a guy who drove a wagon used to transport goods.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:20 PM
Chief Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
A carman was a guy who drove a wagon used to transport goods.
We are of course talking in this period about wagons pulled by horses and you might find the following information useful:

"Can and van horses

"Cart horses were used in many trades-railways, breweries, distillers, millers, vestries, carriers and coal merchants being among the most prominent. These heavier horses used were largely Clydesdales and Shires. Lighter horses were used for parcels work by the Post Office, shops (Whiteley's had seventy), the railways and carriers. But the bulk of such horses were used by a whole multitude of businesses. Many of their drivers probably described themselves in their census returns as milkmen or bakers, so the numbers recorded in the censuses as 'carmen' and carters provide no useful clues.

"Many of these horses were jobbed, even down to the butcher's cart and pony, and much of the work was done by contractors. Pickford's and Chaplin & Home, who were the two big 'wharfingers' and railway carriers, worked as agents for a number of railways, especially until the mid-1870s."

From Ralph Turvey, "Horse traction in Victorian London," Journal of Transport History, September 2005.

Chris
For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/
Old 03-19-2009, 11:28 AM
Inactive

Default Car man

Since Cross worked for Pickfords, the removal company, he would probably have driven a huge wagon called a van. This was the Victorian answer to today's articulated lorries. They moved at a top speed of 3 miles an hour and ironically killed more people than any other vehicle on the road at the time.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Detective

OK. Let me ask a question. Why are so many men who found Jack's victims or were questioned etc referred to as carman (I know carmen plural). Was this the growth industry in Whitechapel 1888?
Old 03-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Casebook Supporter

I don't think it was a "growth industry" as such. Carmen would have been important to local economies before, and long after 1888. In the 1881 Census, across the whole of London, there were over 29,000 men who gave "carman" as their job - it was a rather common occupation, and they were by no means confined to Whitechapel.

A Government survey of 1887 showed that a carman in the Whitechapel district would earn 22 shillings a week on average, of which an average of 4s 7d would be spent on rent. 38% of East End carmen had experienced at least one period of unemployment during the past year, but this was rather good going for that part of of the world at that time. For example, Whitechapel's labourers, costermongers, seamen and dockers - of which there were plenty - had enjoyed far less luck, employment-wise, during the same period.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 03-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
I don't think it was a "growth industry" as such. Carmen would have been important to local economies before, and long after 1888. In the 1881 Census, across the whole of London, there were over 29,000 men who gave "carman" as their job - it was a rather common occupation, and they were by no means confined to Whitechapel.

A Government survey of 1887 showed that a carman in the Whitechapel district would earn 22 shillings a week on average, of which an average of 4s 7d would be spent on rent. 38% of East End carmen had experienced at least one period of unemployment during the past year, but this was rather good going for that part of of the world at that time. For example, Whitechapel's labourers, costermongers, seamen and dockers - of which there were plenty - had enjoyed far less luck, employment-wise, during the same period.
Thanks for that info. Can I posit a very tentative idea about Jack . The early murders, and although I've argued against Tabram and I don't think I'm wrong, but for this I'll include her. Tabram, Nicholls, Chapman (not found by carmen but they were on the scene quickly). Reasonably early morning to daylight.

Stride (yes, I count her), Eddowes, Kelly. Very early in the morning.

I just find the carmen on the scene in the earlier murders v none in the latter
interesting.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Casebook Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing to see View Post
Tabram, Nicholls, Chapman (not found by carmen but they were on the scene quickly). Reasonably early morning to daylight.
Chapman's body was, in fact, found by a carman - John Davies - as he prepared to go to work.
Quote:
I just find the carmen on the scene in the earlier murders v none in the latter interesting.
The thing about carmen was that they would have tended to be up and about early anyway, and most would have been in bed around the 1-2AM slot during which Stride and Eddowes' bodies were discovered, so I wouldn't read too much into it.

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)
Old 01-03-2018, 07:02 PM
Detective

Think of it as a Victorian term for "truck driver". My question: Was there a practical difference between "carman" and "carter"? The feeling that I get is that those calling themselves "carters" usually had those hand-drawn carts, but those are often used by "hawkers" also.

- CFL
Old 01-03-2018, 07:10 PM
Commisioner

Yes at the time, a wagon driver for goods transportation (as best I can find).

Stan Reid