• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello Helena,

And I suppose he has proof of all this?

Or......

best wishes

Phil
    Plenty of people have written books and articles, and given lectures etc, without "proof".

If anyone had "proof" for ANY suspect, this game would be over, and this forum archived!

Helena
    Helena Wojtczak BSc (Hons) FRHistS.

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by HelenaWojtczak View Post
      Plenty of people have written books and articles, and given lectures etc, without "proof".

If anyone had "proof" for ANY suspect, this game would be over, and this forum archived!

Helena
      Hello Helena,

I think that if anybody actually had the proof, and it WAS revealed, this forum would carry on as an historical discussion forum based on the findings. So much more would be unearthed in background to the person, or persons themselves.

It would be rather like a biographic side genre, methinks. It would also tell us much of why we have been given to believe the other suspects down the years from the people on the ground at the time, I believe.

best wishes

Phil
      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
      Accountability? ....

Comment

Indeed. We could not walk away from all these wonderful co-ripperologists!

But my point remains, nobody who has written or spoken on this subject has any proof. Only speculation.

Cheers

Helena

Author of 'Jack the Ripper at Last? George Chapman, the Southwark Poisoner'. Click this link : - http://www.hastingspress.co.uk/chapman.html

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Russell View Post
          If I had definite proof, I'd share it too but only after taking expert advice on how I could make a shed-load of money out of it.

Just being honest.

Best wishes,
          Steve.
          Ditto, Steve. Let's write that book and retire to Bora Bora

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
          I might write a book but I think the public only buy in droves if it's the mad doctor with the top hat,red satin lined cape and the medical bag, plus a royal connection, I know very little about publishing but my guess is that publishers charge authors for anything they can think of,including the cost of the coffee drunk by the editor while they are reading the draft.
          So,maybe a day in the news,not much money and a sparky debate about the torso murders.
          Bliss.
          All the best.
          Damn!!! Probably, in the real world, that's how it would go... So no Bora Bora for me, it seems!

Anyway, interesting thread, also for the info about the "ones who think they know" at Scotland Yard
          And greetings, and welcome, to Stevencc!

Best regards,
          W
          Whoooops... I did it again.

Comment

I'd tell in a heartbeat, even if the Ripper was my great-great grandfather. But I would have to be absolutely certain. Don't think the money would be that important, but I'd like to be known as the guy who "caught" Jack.

Reminds me of Steve Hodel who wrote a book about how his father killed The Black Dahlia. And he was probably mistaken...

Comment

Originally posted by Stevencc View Post
              No, I haven't read that particular book. If you are implying that I got my "information" from that source you are wrong.
              No, I was not implying anything along that line, I was going to ask you if you were as familiar as some of us are who have read this book then you would know "all there is to know" about Kosminski as Thee police suspect.
              That being the case, you would know that nobody (including the MET), can be anything close to 50% sure, never mind a 100% !

Like I say the information given to me was from numerous individuals within the Metropolitan Police.
              Yes, I meant to ask you about that... you said..
              "numerous individuals within the Metropolitan Police Force have declared themselves 100% sure"

To whom?
              Who did they declare their opinions to, who actually cares that much?

For all I know they may have just read that book and regurgitated the information as fact.
              They may have, but that would be an extraordinary example of a group consensus seeing as how the book does not provide adequate proof.

Regards, Jon S.
              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Diddles View Post
                I'd like to be known as the guy who "caught" Jack.
                Wasn't that Godley? ... Hahaha.

Helena

Comment

I thought the Met officers' personal gain allegation was a bloody cheek and definitely a pot/kettle situation as people may have been charged to go to these lectures.
                  Thanks for the info on Robert Milne Helen, I will keep an eye on the bookshelves for the inevitable tome.
                  It must be true that the police don't actually have the information or someone would have published by now.
                  Thinking about Edith Child,we should all have interrogated our grannies when we were kids,if only we knew then that we would grow up and become fascinated by this case.
                  Wade,take heart, there may be gold in them hillls yet.
                  All the best.

Comment

Thanks for the info on Robert Milne Helen, I will keep an eye on the bookshelves for the inevitable tome.

we should all have interrogated our grannies when we were kids,if only we knew then that we would grow up and become fascinated by this case.
                    Martin - Milne isn't writing a book. Having spent over a year of my life trying to untangle the myths from the truth about Chapman for my own 'inevitable tome', I am sure he would not want to duplicate this nightmare task that I have taken upon myself.

I wonder if my granny in Poland knew Chapman's family? They only lived 5 miles apart, after all.

Helena

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                      No, I was not implying anything along that line, I was going to ask you if you were as familiar as some of us are who have read this book then you would know "all there is to know" about Kosminski as Thee police suspect.
                      That being the case, you would know that nobody (including the MET), can be anything close to 50% sure, never mind a 100% !

Yes, I meant to ask you about that... you said..
                      "numerous individuals within the Metropolitan Police Force have declared themselves 100% sure"

To whom?
                      Who did they declare their opinions to, who actually cares that much?

They may have, but that would be an extraordinary example of a group consensus seeing as how the book does not provide adequate proof.

Regards, Jon S.
                      My mistake with regards to the false implication. To be fair to me I did say that they thought they knew something, rather than they actually knew something - as certainty requires evidence and they produced none.

They declared the opinions to my partner. The situation and location my partner was in at the time lent itself to discussion of Jack the Ripper. It wasn't a hot topic that was discussed feverishly it just came up as a result of the location.

Comment

Apologies Helen,I have absolutely no idea who Edith Child is, I was thinking of Gilda O Neill, she had a story passed down the family line that the ripper was a mad midwife, Jill the Ripper!
                        So sorry,I have read so many names in the past few days I'm obviously befuddled.
                        Time to go to Switzerland I think.
                        Geneology obviously interests a great many people,not me because I don't see any point in confirming my long held suspicion that my ancestors all lived in canals and sewers, but certainly lots of other people.
                        As an exercise, I searched Find my past jack the ripper and found a post from 2009 where a lady wrote about her grandmother,considered somewhat in her dotage,who insisted her grandfather was a police officer in Shadwell who knew who Jack the Ripper was.
                        This lady's research then suggested there might have been some basis for the story after all,unfortunately she could not remember the name of Jack the Ripper as told to her by her grandmother.
                        Perhaps Casebook should do what the police do and appeal to the public, contact the bigger geneology sites for any related information dug up by people researching their past.
                        Possibly a wheat/chaff exercise,but you never know.
                        I dont know anything about Robert Milne,but I bet you a polished farthing that there will be a tome!
                        I wish you all the best for your own book, It's thanks to people like you that the likes of me can post on casebook and put forward theories based on solid research.
                        All the best.

Comment

Computer playing up, the post appeared twice, I wondered when I bought it from a bloke at a car boot sale why he took the money and ran off laughing.
                          Last edited by martin wilson; 08-29-2012, 09:55 AM. Reason: posted twice.

Comment

Apologies Helen,I have absolutely no idea who Edith Child is, I was thinking of Gilda O Neill, she had a story passed down the family line that the ripper was a mad midwife, Jill the Ripper!
                            So sorry,I have read so many names in the past few days I'm obviously befuddled.
                            Time to go to Switzerland I think.
                            Geneology obviously interests a great many people,not me because I don't see any point in confirming my long held suspicion that my ancestors all lived in canals and sewers, but certainly lots of other people.
                            As an exercise, I searched Find my past jack the ripper and found a post from 2009 where a lady wrote about her grandmother,considered somewhat in her dotage,who insisted her grandfather was a police officer in Shadwell who knew who Jack the Ripper was.
                            This lady's research then suggested there might have been some basis for the story after all,unfortunately she could not remember the name of Jack the Ripper as told to her by her grandmother.
                            Perhaps Casebook should do what the police do and appeal to the public, contact the bigger geneology sites for any related information dug up by people researching their past.
                            Possibly a wheat/chaff exercise,but you never know.
                            I dont know anything about Robert Milne,but I bet you a polished farthing that there will be a tome!
                            I wish you all the best for your own book, It's thanks to people like you that the likes of me can post on casebook and put forward theories based on solid research.
                            All the best.
                            No need to apologise for that, but if you keep on calling me Helen I will demand some serious grovelling

"she could not remember the name of Jack the Ripper as told to her by her grandmother"

Huh! Hmph! A likely tale (not)!

"I wish you all the best for your own book"

Thank you most kindly. I have done my level best with it. I know that he's currently out of favour as a JtR suspect, and nobody is interested in him any more, and will set my print run very low, however, I felt driven to write this book mainly to clear up all the annoying lies/myths/nonsense that has been written about him. And he was, after all, an actual known serial killer, which, I believe, none of the other suspects was.

Helena
                            (Still got an A on the end! LOL)

Comment

Hi Henrietta (only joking Helena)
                              And to think my memory was once the envy of nations......
                              You never know, look at The Suspicions of Mr Whicher, that did o.k., there was even a tv adaptation.
                              It might be an opportune time to release a ripper book, the BBC have trailed something called Ripper Street, with Matthew Macfayden running around a suitably period setting and then doing that staring off in the distance thing with an expression of frustration and anger that actors do.
                              Sometimes I look at the bestseller lists, and if there is one thing that sells a book it's being on the telly.
                              All the best.

Comment

Working...
                              X