Clear All

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
    Hello Sally. Thanks. Any name attached?

Cheers.
    LC
    Certainly Lynn. In 1891:

TENNANT, Charles R, Head, Married. b.1831, Accountant, b.Dublin Ireland

TENNANT, Miriam U, Wife, Married, b.1833, Worcester

MCBAIN, Jane, Servant Single, b.1865, Domestic Servant Parlourmaid, b.Scotland

WICKENS, Alice, Servant, Single, b.1863, Domestic Servant Cook, b. Cobham, Kent

Comment

Thanks for being so quick Sally. Question is did any Tennants write the letter to Forbes, or was the address just randomly picked by Forbes?

To get back to Rhyming Jack, could Forbes be Frank? This is my thesis,

Rhyming Jack is being analysed by Forbes, who thinks that RJ is mad and also richer than he is living in a fine house, not realising Jack resides in a Whitechapel doss house. R J enjoys winding up Forbes and despises him for not realising he is Jack. Power and Control.
      So clues in the poem. R Jack is clean shaven with a swarthy skin and longish hair, He has a number of hats, two suits and a navy overcoat. He gives the impression of being better off and better educated than the average working man. He is controlled in his behaviour, does not smoke or drink. He is highly intelligent and quick witted. Just the kind of man smart enough to evade the police.
      We have motive, he hates pros, opportunity, he lives in Whitechapel. He works alone. He gets into rages, hates any kind of fun, sex, drink, music hall. He resides in a doss house near Whitechapel High St, near an army home.
      He thinks Frank [ Forbes ]is writing letters to papers, So did Forbes write the Hammersmith letter to give himself importance, Which is why he lied about its provenance?
      I love R J he is a gift. Think we should find out as much as possible about him and Forbes might be the way.

Miss Marple
      Last edited by miss marple; 08-21-2012, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miss marple View Post
        Thanks for being so quick Sally. Question is did any Tennants write the letter to Forbes, or was the address just randomly picked by Forbes?
        Hi, Miss Marple - I doubt the address was entirely random; but then again, it may have no particular importance.
        I couldn't find the same address in 1881, so guess that the houses on Hammersmith Road may have been new - I doubt the Tennants had lived there for long. Perhaps it'd be worth finding out more about the Tennants?

Comment

I have just been looking at the New York Times article 1911 posted by Chris of Forbes Winslow's recollections.
          I found this sentence very interesting, ''And was it really Jack the Ripper who wrote to me or was it a poor deluded friend of mine.'' So Winslow is admitting he had a friend who thinks he is Jack the Ripper, that is a direct link to the poem.
          So to go back to my thesis about Jack the Rhymer, we know Jack has a friend Frank [ Forbes] who thinks Jack is mad but is too stupid to realise he really is the ripper. Jack also states in the poem that he did not write the letter from 22 Hammersmith Rd, in fact he is indignant, calling the writer, a vulgar lying toad.
          Looking at Jack Rhymer, he has many characteristics of a psychopath. the vanity, sense of superiority and discussing Jack in the third person to other people. '' I told the man you should try and catch him' but talking in the first person when boasting about his murders.
          He talks a lot about food, drink and sex, that is apparently another sign, he does not discuss personal life, he is a loner, living in a doss house, near a Salvation Army home on Whtechapel High St. He does not drink and hates prostitutes and probably sex. Is self educated, highly intelligent and gives the impression of being superior to his class.
          I find this poem really fascinating,

Miss Marple
          Last edited by miss marple; 08-30-2012, 06:32 PM.

Comment

ding dong

Hello Sally, Miss Marple. Thanks.

Why is the name Tennant ringing a bell?

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

I'm pretty certain the Hammersmith Rd letter was genuinely received by Forbes Winslow, and he later altered the date from '89 to '88 claiming in quite some detail how the letter predicted the Mary Kelly murder and that it fitted his lunatic theory

He claimed to have predicted a Ripper murder himself on the 7th of November 1888 and if circumstances were good, the Ripper would have struck on that day rather than the 9th

The simple fact that the Ripper knew his name led him to believe the Ripper was a previous mental patient, perhaps one of his etc etc

It is such a blatant alteration of facts that I speculated he was just trying to encourage the letter writer or the Ripper to write to him just to refute what he was saying

If he wrote it himself originally it would not have taken the form it did

You might like to peruse the following in which Stewart Evans kindly provided scans of the original rhyming letter from November 9th

Bangor St is more worthy of some research I think - IIRC it was a place you could get subsidised passage abroad for work among other things

Perhaps the Ripper wrote the letter before travelling abroad

The significant thing about the rhyming letter is that it disputed the Lunigi letter which predicted a murder in November 1889

Most Ripper letters also predict future murders

Only the real Ripper would know no more murders were to take place and that the writer of the other letter was a "lying toad"

Also, the letter was concocted after seeing Forbes Winslow's letter appear in the press in Oct '89 and posted to arrive on the first anniversary of what was probably the Ripper's last murder

He seems to indicate that he has never written before and this is his first letter

I find it most intriguing and the most likely letter to have come from the real Ripper

It does appear to have a precedent in the "Jack the Ripper's Pal" letter which is available on the boards which was from the latter part of 1888

Comment

Gareth posted this in regard to Bangor St...

Originally Posted by Nemo
                Despite the effort he must have put into compiling this communication, he only states that he is a poor man from an East End dosshouse

I don't know about the East End dosshouse, Nemo, as the letter purports to be addressed from a West End address, namely 30 Bangor Street, which was - and is, now renamed "Henry Dickens Court" - located in Notting Hill, W11. Interestingly, it appears that some properties were acquired in Bangor Street in October 1889, and were shortly due to open as dosshouses. The following is from the Times of 23rd October, 1889:

If one of those properties was 30, Bangor Street, then our doggerel-writer would have been one of its very first residents.

From further reading, Bangor Street is described elsewhere as "a notorious locality".

Comment

More info on Bangor St. It was described as a criminal and irreclaimable area, The area known as Notting Dale was black on Booth's poverty map. The lowest criminal class. Notting Hill was made a royal borough by Edward V11 in 1901.
                  Bangor St was the local rag market for old clothes. Perhaps that is where rhymer got his togs from.
                  The picture of Bangor St looks like the East End.
                  The workhouse known as NottingDale workhouse in St Mary'S Place was the most cruel and infamous in London, apparently.
                  There is a link www.historytalk.org/notting% dale

So perhaps after the murders he moved from The East End to Notting dale or perhaps divided his time between the two.

Next thing find out who lived at no 30.

Miss Marple

Comment

Working...
                  X