Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple of questions.

Hi all,
    Just a couple of quick questions for people in the know.

1. How far would one have to lean through the broken window to be able to un- bolt the door at Millers Court.?
    Judging by the photos, I'm guessing it was quite a risky thing to do placing and bending your arm through broken jagged glass.

2. Was Ginger Beer common and cheap for the under classes to afford. ?

Regards.

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
    Hi all,

1. How far would one have to lean through the broken window to be able to un- bolt the door at Millers Court.?
    Judging by the photos, I'm guessing it was quite a risky thing to do placing and bending your arm through broken jagged glass.

Regards.
    According to Abberline's inquest testimony discussing opening the door without the key, it wasn't difficult;

"Barnett informs me that it has been missing some time, and since it has been lost they have put their hand through the broken window, and moved back the catch. It is quite easy."

Comment

Originally posted by spyglass View Post
      Hi all,

Regards.
      I read a news report some time ago and can't find it again for the life of me, that a rod (bar) was inside the window and used to reach the latch. I'll do some digging this weekend to see if I can find it again.

Comment

This site has some interesting info on ginger beer;

Could be bought for a penny a bottle from street vendors, apparently. And was particularly popular as a restorative on Sunday mornings when the pubs were shut.

Comment

Re Ginger Beer, this link may help:

I found that fizzy drinks date from the 18th century, and ginger beer is made from a specific plant. People made their own ginger beer in the 19th century, until commercial soft drinks were marketed, with the drink's popularity peaking in the early 20th century. Ginger beer fell into decline with rationing of sugar and the near-extinction of the ginger beer plant, but hobbyists are trying to revive it.
          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
          ---------------
          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
          ---------------

Comment

Working...
          X