Casebook: Jack the Ripper - Main
   

Introduction
Victims
Suspects
Witnesses
Ripper Letters
Police Officials
Official Documents
Press Reports
Victorian London
Message Boards
Ripper Media
Authors
Dissertations
Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 2 hours ago.
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Wickerman 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Simon Wood 2 hours ago.
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - by Batman 3 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (28 posts)
Torso Killings: JtR failed amputation. Torso killer was successful. - (13 posts)
Motive, Method and Madness: Geoprofile of Jack the Ripper reveals Tabram and Nichols connection. - (3 posts)
General Discussion: My profile of the ripper - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Edit: Chris
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Edit: Chris
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Edit: Chris
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Lechmere/Cross, Charles

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #291  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:42 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Only the book at the moment ..
Any takers? No?
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #292  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:45 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
There is no prima facie reason to suppose that the 1873 Battersea torso was the work of the Whitechapel Ripper of 1888 but, because you believe the contrary, your perception of Crow's candidacy for the Ripper is compromised.

This is precisely why building theories by combining speculation and subjective opinion is so dangerous.
I am on good ground, Gareth. You are the one in the midst of the ocean. I donīt look for things to link the crimes, I acknowledge that they are there.

You donīt. Eyes closed, hands over ears and chanting Nonononononononononononononononono....
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #293  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Fisherman Fisherman is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 18,493
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
That actually makes Crow a better candidate, because Cross was in the public mind for longer when the press stopped linking Smith, Tabram and Nichols, despite investigators mostly linking Tabram with Nichols and a few had Smith in there also. It seems McNaughton based his C5 on Bond's examination of Kelly and meta-analysis of the other murders starting with Nichols because that is all Anderson had provided him with. Meaning witnesses for Tabram would have slipped through easier, if one of them was JtR.
I think a volcano eruption in Iceland, a farting horse in Denmark and a light snowfall in the Rockies would all make Crow "a better candidate". When you start from rock bottom, anything helps.

Thatīs all for now, Iīm afraid.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #294  
Old 11-13-2018, 08:51 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
Any takers? No?

Well, it may have a new photo of Mary Kelly in it !!
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #295  
Old 11-13-2018, 09:19 AM
Batman Batman is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,852
Default

Big claims require big evidence.
__________________
Bona fide canonical and then some.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #296  
Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 AM
Jon Guy Jon Guy is offline
Superintendent
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Blighty
Posts: 2,913
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Au contraire, Christer !!
I believe I raised the same points about Crow a few years ago.
So we may be half way there already.
I`ll try and locate it.
Here`s the link I was talking about, from 2015.
https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread...=15793&page=56
.
It`s only been 3 years, Christer, but I will remind you again in 2025
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #297  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:34 AM
Abby Normal Abby Normal is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 7,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Guy View Post
Only the book at the moment ..
LOL! Id buy that!
__________________
"Is all that we see or seem
but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe


"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #298  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:47 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Flynn View Post
There is no prima facie reason to suppose that the 1873 Battersea torso was the work of the Whitechapel Ripper of 1888 but, because you believe the contrary, your perception of Crow's candidacy for the Ripper is compromised.

This is precisely why building theories by combining speculation and subjective opinion is so dangerous.
There is obviously no clear connection between two very different sets of crimes, although I am coming round to the possibility that the latter Torso crimes are connected to the earlier 1870 ones.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #299  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:55 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
P Hantom, killer?
Anyone innocent of the crimes is a phantom killer.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
  #300  
Old 11-13-2018, 10:58 AM
John G John G is offline
Commisioner
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 4,445
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherman View Post
It gets us a very long way, contrary to what you say. The murders could have been perpetrated anywhere, Seven Sisters, Bow, Chelsea, Mile End Old Town... anywhere!
And Lechmere could have worked anywhere, to the east, west, south or north.

But as it happens the two fields coincide to a tee. And it takes some coinciding, just because the area is a very small one.

So much as Mitre Square would have been very close to somebody trekking west from Berner Street, it would not have been close at all to somebody doing a trek up north.
There can be no trivializing the remarkable dovetailing between the murder sites and Lechmereīs likely and proven paths.
Why on earth would Lechmere be heading off to work in the early hours of the morning having committed a murder? And not only that, but via Mitre Square, hardly the most obvious route.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.