The 1961 Landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gut,

the only Australian stuff from the Sixties that I can remember are The Seekers (largely because of Judith Durham, it has to be said) and the wrinkly-faced old bugger that did "Pub With No Beer".

Now amaze me!

Graham
    We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• Frank Ifield. And, on a darker note, Rolf Harris.

Comment

• Hi Robert, Graham et al,

Although brought up in Australia, Frank Ifield was actually born in Coventry. Just a drop goal away from the rugger ground.

Meanwhile, Judith Durham was and always will be utterly stunning.

Happy thoughts!

OneRound

Comment

• Originally posted by Graham View Post
          Gut,

the only Australian stuff from the Sixties that I can remember are The Seekers (largely because of Judith Durham, it has to be said) and the wrinkly-faced old bugger that did "Pub With No Beer".

Now amaze me!

Graham
          Well where should I start

The Easy Beats
          The brilliant Bee Gees (sure born in England but grew up and hit fame un Aus), and to this day consider them selves Aussies even though they left in '67
          Olivia another not born here but actually will tell you she's a Newie girl.
          The Seekers
          Peter Allen
          Brian Cadd
          Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs
          G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• And did I forget AC/DC

and

Johnny O'Keefe
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

• And Daevid Allen.

Comment

• Hi OneRound

Yes, Judith was a class singer.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                    And Daevid Allen.
                    Him I try to forget
                    G U T

Comment

• The coffins of both Maurice Gibb and Robin Gibb were draped in the flag of Ellan Vannin (the Isle of Man).

Quick video of the unofficial Manx national anthem, sung by the fantastic Robin Gibb

Comment

• Originally posted by GUT View Post
                        Well where should I start

The Easy Beats
                        The brilliant Bee Gees (sure born in England but grew up and hit fame un Aus), and to this day consider them selves Aussies even though they left in '67
                        Olivia another not born here but actually will tell you she's a Newie girl.
                        The Seekers
                        Peter Allen
                        Brian Cadd
                        Billy Thorpe and the Aztecs
                        I forgot the Easy Beats - one hit wonders, and the David Bowie version of Friday On My Mind was better....

I lived in the USA during the disco craze and you couldn't go anywhere without Staying Alive being blared at you. It drove me barmy. The Bee Gees' best stuff was and is hardly ever heard, but they seem to be remembered now only for friggin' disco.

Olivia Newton-Wotsit - hmmmm, yes.

I saw the Seekers in about 1968, in love with Judith ever since, not enjoyed the best of health in recent years I believe.

The others in your list I've never heard of. Or Daevid Allen (?)

AC/DC not a Sixties band.

Graham
                        We are suffering from a plethora of surmise, conjecture and hypothesis. - Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure Of Silver Blaze

Comment

• I hope nobody minds but I thought I would revive this thread as people seemed to enjoy it?

Del Shannon was in the charts with the hit below in 1961 and I have posted it for several reasons. Firstly, it's an excellent song in a pop-song sort of way. Secondly, it always seemed to be playing at the fairground, whether I visited in the 60s, 70s or 80s (I haven't been to a fairground since the 80s!). Thirdly, I believe Del was just about to join the truly excellent Travelling Wilburys when he sadly died. In his honour, they recorded Run Away.

"Runaway" was a number one Billboard Hot 100 song in the spring of 1961 by Del Shannon. It was written by Shannon and keyboardist Max Crook, and became a maj...

Comment

• Hi Julie,

great to see you back! The older I get the more I recall the 1960's with fondness - mostly.

My wife and I sing around some of the local West Midlands music clubs, and there's recently been an upsurge in interest in (early) Sixties music. I've recently done 'Walk Away Renee' by The Four Tops and 'Don't Go' by The Cryin' Shames. Really sugary, sentimental, innocent stuff, but makes a change from the blues I usually croak out. The other week a girl was singing old Seekers numbers, songs I used to think were naff, but she came across really well. Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochrane were two of my schooldays favourites. The good old stuff never dies.

Graham

Comment

• Hi Graham,

Do you mean this one?

If so, I really love that track. I believe it has been recorded in recent years by some of the so-called boy bands? I remember my sister buying the record and playing it in our shared bedroom when she was getting ready to go out for the evening. I was about 8 or so?

I believe The Crying Shames were signed and recorded by Joe Meek - genius but flawed record producer.

I think you are right about the 60s being popular again - and not just with us more mature folk. Some of the young people I teach ask me about bands such as the Stones, the Who, the Kinks and also 70s bands such as Pink Floyd. They think it's really 'cool' that I grew up with that music!

Also, vinyl is back on sale in the shops and my husband, as a semi-retirement project, collects and sells old vinyl at car boot sales. There is a very strong revival.

Good to be 'chatting' again. I don't have the energy for Hanratty debates these days but do look in on the threads now and then. Much safer to stick to music chat, I think!

Take care,

Julie

Comment

• That's the one, Julie. Also recorded by The Drifters. IIRC, Joe Meek killed himself after murdering his landlady...... Shame, as he apparently pioneered many of the recording techniques we now take for granted.

Amongst other places I used to go to the world-famous Mothers Club in Erdington, Birmingham - saw many of the really big 1960's names there, such as John Mayall, Cream, Muddy Waters, Crazy World Of Arthur Brown, Colosseum, Moody Blues, The Move, and many more. They don't make 'em now like back in those days, that's for sure.

We've still got loads of vinyl from the 1960's and 1970's, but at the moment nothing to play them on!

All the best,

Graham

Comment

Working...
                                X