Thomas Conway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thomas Conway

I'm probably the only one that didn't know this, but I've just come across an article in the Echo 16th Oct 1888, saying that Kate's ex-husband Thomas Conway was actually located after her murder, which I hadn't heard before.

"Tom Conway has been found, or, rather, he has discovered himself. Conway is the man who lived with Catherine Eddowes, the woman murdered in Mitre square. Up to yesterday, the efforts of the detectives had been at fault, owing, as was suggested by the City Solicitor at the inquest, to the fact that Conway has drawn his pension from the 18th Royal Irish Regiment under a false name, that of Thomas Quinn. Apparently he has not read the papers, for he was ignorant till the last few days that he was being sought for. Then, however, he learned that the City detectives were inquiring after him, and yesterday afternoon he and his two sons went to the detective office of the City Police in Old Jewry, and explained who they were. Conway was at once taken to see Mrs. Annie Phillips, Eddowes's daughter, who recognised him as her father. He states that he left Eddowes in 1880, in consequence of her intemperate habits, which prevented them from living comfortably together. He knew that she had since been living with Kelly, and had once or twice seen her in the streets but has, as far as possible, kept out of her way, as he did not wish to have any further communication with her. Conway had followed the occupation of a hawker. the police describe him as evidently of very exemplary character. He alluded to his wife's misconduct before their separation with evident pain."

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
    I'm probably the only one that didn't know this, but I've just come across an article in the Echo 16th Oct 1888, saying that Kate's ex-husband Thomas Conway was actually located after her murder, which I hadn't heard before.

"Tom Conway has been found, or, rather, he has discovered himself. Conway is the man who lived with Catherine Eddowes, the woman murdered in Mitre square. Up to yesterday, the efforts of the detectives had been at fault, owing, as was suggested by the City Solicitor at the inquest, to the fact that Conway has drawn his pension from the 18th Royal Irish Regiment under a false name, that of Thomas Quinn. Apparently he has not read the papers, for he was ignorant till the last few days that he was being sought for. Then, however, he learned that the City detectives were inquiring after him, and yesterday afternoon he and his two sons went to the detective office of the City Police in Old Jewry, and explained who they were. Conway was at once taken to see Mrs. Annie Phillips, Eddowes's daughter, who recognised him as her father. He states that he left Eddowes in 1880, in consequence of her intemperate habits, which prevented them from living comfortably together. He knew that she had since been living with Kelly, and had once or twice seen her in the streets but has, as far as possible, kept out of her way, as he did not wish to have any further communication with her. Conway had followed the occupation of a hawker. the police describe him as evidently of very exemplary character. He alluded to his wife's misconduct before their separation with evident pain."
    Joshua,

I'm not stalking you, I promise! This just happens to be one area of the case I devote a lot of time to. Mainly though, with Thomas Conway Jr.

Yes, Thomas was living in York Street, Walworth at the time of her murder. Neither he or either of the boys [Thomas and George] were reported at her funeral. I find that odd, myself but, it was stated they avoided her because of her begging for money habits. Also of interest is Polly Nichols ex, Thomas Dew, was living at 15, York Street, Walworth. Polly lived at this address until October of 1887.
    Last edited by jerryd; 05-19-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Nice one JD :-)

It's sad they didn't attend Kate's funeral, but if the Echo is to be believed then they only found out she was dead after she was buried.....Of course, they could have been ignoring the reports until it was too late, in case they got saddled with the funeral costs.

I don't suppose you know the service number of Thomas, do you? There's a couple of Thomas Conways in the Royal Irish regiment, and quite a few Thomas Quinn's, but my subscription has run out so I can't check their details.

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
        Nice one JD :-)

It's sad they didn't attend Kate's funeral, but if the Echo is to be believed then they only found out she was dead after she was buried.....Of course, they could have been ignoring the reports until it was too late, in case they got saddled with the funeral costs.

I don't suppose you know the service number of Thomas, do you? There's a couple of Thomas Conways in the Royal Irish regiment, and quite a few Thomas Quinn's, but my subscription has run out so I can't check their details.
        In my notes I have, 1st Batallion, 18th Irish regiment. Private No.350.

Comment

Great stuff!

Comment

It is great stuff all round, and very interesting. It's also interesting that Kate's ex and children didn't seem to have read newspapers on the Ripper murder in Mitre Square and name and description of the victim.

Without modern media and away from the streets of Whitechapel/Spitalfields where daily street gossip was probably rife, it would be possible I suppose, to believe that Ripper victims had nothing to do with you.

And yet, because of her scrounging, Kate's children knew their mother was virtually destitute, living from hand to mouth. Surely it would have occurred momentarily to one of them at least to worry about the safety and wellbeing of their mother with a serial killer on the loose. Kate seems to have been estranged from all of them, and that's sad.

Comment

Wondering who this Conway was who was released by the Police.

South Wales Echo 12th October 1888

Attached Files
              Last edited by MysterySinger; 10-02-2016, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Hi Mystery Singer,

Not sure I have an answer for you on which Conway this might have been, if related or not. I do know Thomas Conway Sr. (Eddowes' husband) was registered as Thomas Quinn with his military records. I'm assuming he would use that name when collecting pension money. The man in the Duke of York pub this Conway was searching for to sign off his papers was named Captain Milne, if that helps.

There is an interesting letter, posted by Howard Brown, here http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....=thomas+conway. This letter was submitted to Charles Warren on October 12th, 1888 by Major General ERC Wilcox.

Comment

Working...
                X