Timelines
Games & Diversions
Photo Archive
Ripper Wiki
Casebook Examiner
Ripper Podcast
About the Casebook

Most Recent Posts:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 3 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by caz 47 minutes ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Sam Flynn 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Fisherman 2 hours ago.
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - by Harry D 4 hours ago.
Visual Media: London 1930 - by Robert 5 hours ago.

Most Popular Threads:
Lechmere/Cross, Charles: So if you live in Bethnal Green, you won´t kill in Whitechapel? - (44 posts)
Witnesses: Kennedy and Lewis - (15 posts)
General Discussion: A broken down masher - (5 posts)
Hutchinson, George: Why Didn't the Police Have Schwartz and/or Lawende Take a Look at Hutchinson? - (4 posts)
Scene of the Crimes: distances between kills.odd - (3 posts)
General Suspect Discussion: Kansas Physician Confirms Howard Report - (2 posts)

Wiki Updates:
Robert Sagar
Edit: Chris
May 9, 2015, 12:32 am
Online newspaper archives
Nov 26, 2014, 10:25 am
Joseph Lawende
Mar 9, 2014, 10:12 am
Miscellaneous research resources
Feb 13, 2014, 9:28 am
Charles Cross
Edit: John Bennett
Sep 4, 2013, 8:20 pm

Most Recent Blogs:
Mike Covell: A DECADE IN THE MAKING.
February 19, 2016, 11:12 am.
Chris George: RipperCon in Baltimore, April 8-10, 2016
February 10, 2016, 2:55 pm.
Mike Covell: Hull Prison Visit
October 10, 2015, 8:04 am.
Mike Covell: NEW ADVENTURES IN RESEARCH
August 9, 2015, 3:10 am.
Mike Covell: UPDDATES FOR THE PAST 11 MONTHS
November 14, 2014, 10:02 am.
Mike Covell: Mike’s Book Releases
March 17, 2014, 3:18 am.

Go Back   Casebook Forums > Ripper Discussions > Suspects > Maybrick, James

Old 06-07-2018, 11:02 PM
Commisioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.d. View Post
"The Goulston Street Graffito which patently contains cryptic references to all six significant adults in Maybrick's family."

Sorry, but that is a stretch and then some. It reminds me of the "Bible Code." Simply rearrange letters over and over until you get something which you think is significant. There are simply no references there to Maybrick's family any more than it cryptically translates "for a good time call Queen Victoria."

And finally ask yourself if in fact Maybrick was the author of the GSG why would he take the chance to write a message that only he and he alone knew what it meant. That just doesn't make a lot of sense.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree on this one.

c.d.
Unfortunately that applies to a lot of things on Casebook.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Quick reply to this message Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
"The Goulston Street Graffito which patently contains cryptic references to all six significant adults in Maybrick's family."

Sorry, but that is a stretch and then some. It reminds me of the "Bible Code." Simply rearrange letters over and over until you get something which you think is significant. There are simply no references there to Maybrick's family any more than it cryptically translates "for a good time call Queen Victoria."

And finally ask yourself if in fact Maybrick was the author of the GSG why would he take the chance to write a message that only he and he alone knew what it meant. That just doesn't make a lot of sense.

c.d.
You’re making the mistake of taking Ike seriously. He doesn’t believe Maybrick was Jack anymore than you do. He just loves to troll anti-diarists with his shenanigans.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:06 AM
Sergeant

Quote:

c.d.
Well if someone is simply rearranging letters over and over then that person quite rightly needs to be ignored. We can all do that and it is quite pointless. You and I are in absolute agreement there c.d.. But I don't understand why you have said this in response to my post? I have not rearranged letters. I have highlighted the rather obvious fact that - by coincidence or by design - 'Juwes' could pass for 'James', 'The men' could pass for 'Thomas', 'Will' and 'lam' lie together in the text and form 'William', 'ed' forms 'Ed' (and 'for nothing' could be seen as a 'win'). I've added that 'Will' turned upside down forms 'MM', and that 'B' in 'Blamed' is actually far more like 'fM' than a 'B'. I'm not swapping letters around. I'm not saying that you can extract 'James Maybrick' from individual letters in the GSG. I'm not saying anything like that. I accept that for many people, my interpretation will be a 'stretch' of the imagination, but does that reflect the excesses of the stretch or the limits of the imagination?

I can't believe that you are on a serial murder website and you - apparently sincerely - ask why a murderer would want to leave cryptic clues for the police to excite himself over without feeling he is going to be exposed by it. Are you unaware that that is what serial killers have done in other cases?

Ike
Old 06-08-2018, 01:11 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
You’re making the mistake of taking Ike seriously. He doesn’t believe Maybrick was Jack anymore than you do. He just loves to troll anti-diarists with his shenanigans.
Just to be absolutely clear, having a differing view to your own does not make someone a troll. If that were true, then you too would be a troll. Ipso facto and all that. It is entirely up to you whether or not you take my comments seriously, but it is not for you to decide that my comments are of less value because you disagree with them.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:46 PM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Just to be absolutely clear, having a differing view to your own does not make someone a troll. If that were true, then you too would be a troll. Ipso facto and all that. It is entirely up to you whether or not you take my comments seriously, but it is not for you to decide that my comments are of less value because you disagree with them.
I know a WUM when I see one.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:09 PM
Sergeant

Quote:
I know a WUM when I see one.
Careful, son. As I understand it, Admin issues infractions for people-who-attack-the-person-not-the-post.

Last edited by Iconoclast : 06-08-2018 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:50 AM
Superintendent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Careful, son. As I understand it, Admin issues infractions for people-who-attack-the-person-not-the-post.
Did you just threaten to tell teacher?

The content and tone of your posts suggest troll/WUM. Better?
Old 06-09-2018, 03:57 AM
Commisioner

Had to google what WUM even meant.

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.
Old 06-09-2018, 04:30 AM
Sergeant

Quote:
Did you just threaten to tell teacher?

The content and tone of your posts suggest troll/WUM. Better?
I have never once dobbed anyone in. I'm not that spineless. I wouldn't ask anyone else to fight my battles regardless of the size of the army before me. I think I've shown that over the years.

"The content and tone of your posts suggest troll/WUM" is fine with me - it is your opinion that I might be trolling, and I have no problem with that. The difference comes when you start making outlandish, disparaging comments that I am trolling. You move from supposition to statement and you have no grounds other than probably antagonism to do so and that's when you cross the line. You also compromise the posts of pretty much the journal's only pro-voice on this Casebook, and you are better than that so it's disappointing to see it.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:48 AM
Commisioner

Hi harry
I don’t think icon is trolling. Seems like he sincerely believes maybrick wrote the diary and is the ripper.

I think you may be thrown off by his flamboyant and passionate style.

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline