X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Master List of Logical Fallacies

c.d.

Useful - ripperologists take note!

For an accessible, and extremely thorough, book on the same subject, I heartily recommend "Logically Fallacious", by Bo Bennett.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I haven't ploughed through the lot of them, but it seems to me that some of these aren't logical fallacies, but rather empirical errors. Some aren't even fallacies - they're cynical debating tricks.

A logical fallacy would be something like "I do not know the identity of this masked man. I do know the identity of my father. Therefore this masked man is not my father."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
        I haven't ploughed through the lot of them, but it seems to me that some of these aren't logical fallacies, but rather empirical errors.
        True, Robert. However, "logical fallacy" seems to have evolved into a shorthand term to refer to a wide range of fallacies that "undermine the logical validity of an argument", to quote Wikipedia.

Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I have read some posts on these boards that probably encompass pretty much all of the fallacies listed with a couple of new ones thrown in for good measure.

c.d.

Comment

Yep more than just a few
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Fascinating article. Very interesting and informative. I recognize several from debates on Casebook and other forums.
              Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
              ---------------
              Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
              ---------------

Comment

Number 35. Cost Bias, doesn't seem to apply to my hobby, angling.
                The bragging is more about how something does the job or has lasted for years despite costing only thruppence ha'penny.
                There are those who spend big, they are known as Tackle Tarts.
                Meanwhile, another group, the traditional anglers, don't seem to want to use anything manufactured after WWI.
                The phrase 'overpriced tat' is seen often.
                On one forum, an angler proudly displays his two reels from China, something like £20 posted for the two.
                This has generated a lot of interest from others asking where and who.
                You can show up with your expensive shiny stuff, but the real interest is in stuff you found in a skip and restored/got ten years of use out of.
                Funny lot, anglers.

Comment

Working...
                X